• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

newboots

Angel Diva
Do you ever go outside? Are there grass, bushes, trees?

Don't do what I did and get complacent about ticks. We haven't seen one here since early July, and I didn't see the one that got me. Did you read about my migraine in Dawning Chorus? That was no migraine. I contracted anaplasmosis, one of the less well-known tick-borne diseases, and after 4 days of that headache was in the hospital with sepsis, on IV antibiotics and fluids, with a white blood cell count less than half of normal, platelet count of 33,000 (normal = 140,000), low potassium and magnesium (I take magnesium daily), elevated liver function tests, and blood and sugar in my urine.

Pain that felt like railroad spikes being driven repeatedly into my head appeared intermittently, and a delay at the hospital pharmacy meant almost 2 hours of whimpering and writhing in pain before adequate doses of morphine and two doses of Vicodin stopped it.

Please, please, take all the tick precautions. I own (and will go right back to using) Lyme-Eez gaiters, pyrethrin-infused clothes, and DEET spray for my boots, and I will stop just ducking out unprepared to catch the chickens or pick tomatoes. I will check my body as soon as I come in, because a tick that will give you anaplasmosis only needs to be attached for 4-6 hours, not 12 or 24 or 48. I won't imagine that I should restart precautions after ticks resurge in the fall. I will remember that if I see any tick, there's a 50% chance that it will be infected with Lyme or another dangerous virus.

Don't become complacent! It's so easy, and the price is so high. I was so sick that my thinking was impaired and into the equation about whether or not to seek medical help went the hour-long drive to my PCP, the lack of nearby urgent care centers, and other factors that are interesting logistical problems but not reasons to neglect essential medical care.

Don't do what I did. The risk is too high.

MissySki

Angel Diva
OMG @newboots, that sounds so scary!!! I admit thinking that your previous symptoms sounded exceptionally bad for a migraine alone. So glad you were able to find the real issue and are on the mend! Ticks are so darn scary! After having a bunch of ticks on my clothing after a hike last year I became really paranoid about it and try to be very vigilant about precautions before and checking after being outside. I also really hate chemicals in my yard, but we do have a tick and mosquito treatment done on our wooded perimeter by professionals. Recently EEE has been a major concern here and the towns are all doing air spraying as well.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my God, @newboots , you're the second person I know in the area that's contracted anaplasmosis this summer (they live in Cavendish)! How awful! But glad you were able to get treated for it. Does it have any lasting effects?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Oh my god, I am so glad that you were treated. That’s so scary! Thank you for posting and sharing your experience.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thank you all for both your horror and warm wishes. The brain fog that accompanied this condition leaves me wondering if parts of it were a movie, or hallucinations. Feedback that I went through something horrible is actually helpful. Grounding.

It’s not supposed to have lasting effects. Right now I’m still recovering and it appears the doxycycline has begun to work (see, no more battering headache). I actually think I’m fine and flit about the house, feeding the chickens, and then a trip up the stairs reminds me I’m getting over something big.

I remember wondering how someone could end up in the hospital with sepsis, which can be life-threatening, without realizing something was terribly wrong. I guess I found out. I hope my brain is back to full speed shortly.

I have yet to do much research on anaplasmosis. The hospital’s computer spit out info on magnesium (thanks, Ive been taking it for a few years) and tick safety (thanks, I know what I’m supposed to do) but wouldn’t cooperate on anaplasmosis. By then they knew me well enough to know I could find reliable information myself, and told me to do so.

I had a really interesting doctor. We had a fantastic professional discussion about his preference for cultivating doubt, seeking disconfirming evidence, and actively avoiding over-confidence in diagnosis. As a forensic psychologist, this is right up my alley. But, to know I have a rare disease that isn’t easily ruled in with a quick blood test made me very happy to have THIS doctor. He is still on the fence about the “lancinating” headache - thinks it might be trigeminal neuralgia - and unrelated to the anaplasmosis, whose headache is not typically like that. Discussion ensued. We are awaiting the test of the DNA of the germ/virus/spirochete whatever for confirmation.

Anyway. Reality. You divas are the best!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG @newboots How frightening! I'm so glad you were diagnosed early! Ticks are horrible! Thank you for the important reminder! I Hope you get well ASAP.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG. Glad you're better. This is definitely something I'll be cautious about. I thought it was only Lyme's that was the risk (and that's awful too). Fore-warned is fore-armed etc.

newboots

Angel Diva
White Sierra makes wonderful quick-dry, permethrin infused shirts. Often cheap on our beloved STP.

Lyme-Eez gaiters are found on Amazon. The easiest tick prevention possible, I think. They go right over your pants and the tops of your shoes, and both with the fabric design and the permethrin should prevent ticks from climbing and kill them while they are trying.

Those hats with the nets hanging off look dorky but soon, along with tucked-in socks, will be a great outdoor trend. Everyone will be doing it, why not get out ahead of the crowd?

Make sure your animals are using the very best preventive, too. I like the pills. Despite the $$, I feel more confident than I do with making sure drops of Frontline actually land on the skin and not just the fur, where they’re almost useless.

Let’s be trendsetters! Design new products, get net clothing in something other than khaki or camo!

My daughter works for the Cary Institute for Ecosystem Studies, and they are actively working on The Tick Project, studying ecologically appropriate prevention methods.

https://www.caryinstitute.org/science-program/research-projects/tick-project

Read their work: interesting! And remember, the tick experts themselves wear DEET. They know stuff we are just figuring out.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, @newboots ...I am so glad you are recovering!!

You might remember I was diagnosed with Lyme a couple of years ago...I am much more careful about the whole tick thing now...

newboots

Angel Diva
OMG. Glad you're better. This is definitely something I'll be cautious about. I thought it was only Lyme's that was the risk (and that's awful too). Fore-warned is fore-armed etc.

There are four I know of in (I believe) the black-legged tick: Lyme, babesiosis, anaplasmosis, and Powassan (no known treatment, causes brain inflammation or spinal inflammation. Still rare). And we thought we spent too much time on google!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. What a horrible experience. I've never had either, but a migraine sounds easier than what you've been through.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad I moved.

When I lived in the East, I had probably 5 or more friends who got Lyme and it was bad. We always vaccinated the dogs and any walk resulted in ticks for days. Hate them with a passion. Here I've never seen a single one, although my daughter has.

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
Oh my gosh, @newboots! How terrifying! I’m glad you’re on the mend!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Historical data from 2017
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/images/maps/2017LymeCropped.jpg
2017LymeCropped.jpg

The one below shows total lyme cases from 1990-2017.
It's from https://lymediseaseassociation.org/cases-stats-maps-graphs/
2017_USCaseMap.png

Christy

Angel Diva
What a terrible experience. Thanks for the information. I looked it up in our state health department and it doesn't look like Washington is ever had a case, so that is good. I've never actually seen a tick in Western Washington although I think technically we have at least a few, but Lyme disease also isn't a thing you can get here (people diagnosed here generally it elsewhere).

newboots

Angel Diva
What a terrible experience. Thanks for the information. I looked it up in our state health department and it doesn't look like Washington is ever had a case, so that is good. I've never actually seen a tick in Western Washington although I think technically we have at least a few, but Lyme disease also isn't a thing you can get here (people diagnosed here generally it elsewhere).

Check out the risk for babesiosis, anaplasmosis, and powassan’s in addition to Lyme. I can’t check up on every state, but there’s a Western deer tick that carries these awful non-Lyme diseases. And they are spreading. I hope they never reach you!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Montana also claims to have never had a home-generated case, except there's people who claim it's because doctors here refuse to recognize it, not because it isn't in fact here.

But, anyway, it's rare.

Christy

Angel Diva
Check out the risk for babesiosis, anaplasmosis, and powassan’s in addition to Lyme. I can’t check up on every state, but there’s a Western deer tick that carries these awful non-Lyme diseases. And they are spreading. I hope they never reach you!

It was the anaplasmosis that we've never had. Apparently we have one to three cases of lyme every year. There are ticks in Eastern Washington, on the other side of the Cascades, it's just that it's still rare to get anything from them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga