• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

James Niehues collectible book of trail map paintings on Kickstarter, ends 1/3/2019

marzNC

Angel Diva
Finally! James Niehues is teaming up with Jason Blevins for a collectible hardcopy book of trail map paintings. Going to include 200! The Kickstarter campaign reached the goal very quickly. Ends 1/3/2019. A little pricey but I'm really glad the book will be created. I have no doubt the book will be very high quality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orsc/james-niehues-the-man-behind-the-map

For more about the amazing work that Niehues does, check out the previous discussions:

Was the trail map for your favorite ski area based on a painting by Jim Niehues?

The Artist Behind Ski Trail Maps

Tvan

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing! I’ve added this to my Christmas list :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even wonder how much having a trail painting might cost? For Tuckerman's Ravine, there was a successful Kickstarter in 2013 with a goal of $4000. 56 people pledged about $6000, with any extra funds going to the Mt. Washington Avalanche Center. In one interview, Niehues mentioned $3500 as a commission but I don't remember how big the ski resort was. In addition to his painting time, there are also expenses such as the helicopter for aerial views when he takes photos for reference.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743331958/tuckerman-ravine-drawn-by-james-niehues/description

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just looking at the Wachusett trail map and noticed a James Niehues signature for the first time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They figured out how to handle "add on" pledges. For example can pledge for one book and also get a print or two.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Question: if a resort removed a chair lift, or add a new one, how does the map get updated? Does he do it or someone else does?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Question: if a resort removed a chair lift, or add a new one, how does the map get updated? Does he do it or someone else does?
Niehues doesn't include much about the lifts in his painting. Not even sure the line for a lift in on the painting. The names and so on are added by someone else. If the terrain is changed, then he can do an update to the original painting. What is delivered these days is a very high quality digital file.

Hopefully, the artist he is mentoring will take over making updates sooner or later.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks for the clarification. Looking at some of his maps, there are straight lines on some trial maps. I thought those lines are markings for lifts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the clarification. Looking at some of his maps, there are straight lines on some trial maps. I thought those lines are markings for lifts.
Could be. I haven't looked at his website recently so don't really remember. Used to follow his FB page more. But it's fair to say that lifts don't change that often.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Still another month to go for the Kickstarter to get the book of trail maps. A couple new Rewards combine a book with a print. In general, can get any combination of book(s), signed book(s), and/or prints.

The recent Update included a funny note for folks who want to have a name in the book as a Backer. Said: "* Reminder: all proposed names for inclusion in the book are subject to approval. No, “Boaty McBoatface” and “SkiSlayer 420” will not be approved."

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... The recent Update included a funny note for folks who want to have a name in the book as a Backer. Said: "* Reminder: all proposed names for inclusion in the book are subject to approval. No, “Boaty McBoatface” and “SkiSlayer 420” will not be approved."

Ha, yeah, I thought the language about "we reserve the right to edit / omit any names" was weird until I thought about it for 5 seconds and realized what kinds of things people would possibly submit. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ha, yeah, I thought the language about "we reserve the right to edit / omit any names" was weird until I thought about it for 5 seconds and realized what kinds of things people would possibly submit. :smile:
Certainly shows that the team has been around ski resorts for a long time. While not too many true ski bums are going to shell out $75-100 bucks for a coffee table book, there are probably young adults who grew up staying in ski in/out lodging who might be interested. Especially if they could talk parents into paying the bill. :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Neihues book Kickstarter campaign ended with over 5000 people pledging close to $600,000. Looking forward to getting my copy.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I got an IOU from Santa in my Christmas stocking!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nice article about Neihues that was published in late December just before the Kickstarter ended. Not much new info but a good introduction for people unfamiliar with his story. I'm happy he decided to work on Bachelor.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2376261/man-behind-ski-maps

" . . .
On Retirement: “I’ve tried to retire, but then someone will call me and I’ve always wanted to do their mountain, so I end up jumping back in. I’m doing a sketch of Mount Bachelor right now; they have 180 degrees of skiing, and I’ve always wanted to do that. An artist named Rad Smith, who is in Bozeman, Montana, is working as a protégé. He used to make maps with computers but realized he couldn’t do it as well, so he went back to painting. There don’t seem to be any others who are jumping into it. It’s a small market. It was a small market for me.”

On Art: “I think of the paintings as art instead of trail maps. In the early days, it was really about the map, but the values have shifted. Hal and Bill realized it was important to get the beauty and to give people something they could look at and dream about. I think a computer-generated map is a reflection of the office—it’s rigid. A hand-painted map reflects the outdoors. You ski to get into that environment.”
. . ."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga