• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fall/Winter Hiking Pants

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any recommendations for good fall/winter hiking pants? I'll need them primarily for late October in the Tetons, but it would be nice to have something that will also be suitable for winter days in the mid-Atlantic/Blue Ridge.

Thanx in advance!!

Christy

Angel Diva
I've never seen anything marketed as such. I'd be interested to know about anything you found that had warmth. I just wear my hiking pants or rain pants over base layer leggings.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
There are two pants I love.

The Prana Halle pants:
https://www.prana.com/halle-pant.html
I wear these year round - great technical pants and the fabric is really durable. They have a slight stretch to them - so great for hiking, bouldering, scrambling. I wear them in winter with merino long underwear and they're very comfortable. I actually own two pairs of these. I bought my first pair about 4 years ago and they're still going strong, many backpacking and hiking trips later. They're almost indestructible.

When it gets colder, I have a pair of AMAZING technical pants from Eddie Bauer that are fleece lined! this is the link where it used to be, but i think this is from last season:
https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/...10995100001006__23151059_catalog10002_en__US/

They are pretty stretchy - they feel on the outside much more like an 'approach pant' - they really move with you. And on the inside they're marvelously fleece lined. I love them and wear them almost all the time in winter for hiking/snowshoeing etc. They're good on their own down to about -15 c, and then ill add a thin merino wool layer underneath. if it gets much colder i'll switch to snow pants. But I can't say enough good things about these pants. they're awesome. Eddie Bauer switches the name of these pants from year to year - they were called 'polar pants' at one point, and then 'travex fleece' pants - but they still get a fleece-lined technical pant in every year, so I would definitely recommend checking Eddie Bauer out.

I also just noticed that the Prana Halle pant also now has a fleece lined option:

https://www.prana.com/lined-halle-pant.html?color=burgundy

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wear soccer pants, with or without long underwear. I get hot easily when I'm moving and I really struggle with sweat management in the winter. (i.e., once I get sweaty, if I stop moving I shiver and have a really hard time getting warm). I keep fleece pants and a warm top layer in my daypack for long stops or camp, but try to stay cool when moving.

I don't do a lot of big hiking but just wear jeans, a tank top and my hiking shoes. I heat up easily so I'll wear a sweatshirt but usually end up taking it off in short order and tying it around my waist.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear Winter Wander pants that I really like for fall weather hiking and climbing - they are rugged but not too warm. For temps just a tad colder than average fall temps, I prefer the MH Yumalina pants - actually I pretty much live in these pants once it gets cold. I LOOOOOOOVE those. Soft, stretchy, fleece lining.... ahhhhh. I also have a pair of OR hiking pants that I've had for ages, can't remember the name of them - hell they might not make them anymore. But they seem to be similar to the Ferrosi pant? In any case, can't go wrong with those or REI brand pants - I've had some REI rollup pants (not sure which ones) for at least 6 years now and I wear them constantly - they've been hiking, climbing, caving, you name it... and they are still in great condition.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Sherpa Adventure Gear pants that I love for winter, though I've worn them out. Not lined, but the fabric is water resistant and abrasion resistant. I just wear layers underneath. I'm always too hot, so I prefer to go unlined with layers unless it's really cold. The Jannu is probably the descendent of mine. I see they also make a lined softshell pant. Ooh, and there's a short size!

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW, thanx everyone! I had no idea that there would be so many good options to look at. I too get very hot very quickly and I sweat buckets. Nice to know I'm not alone.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't do a lot of big hiking but just wear jeans, a tank top and my hiking shoes. I heat up easily so I'll wear a sweatshirt but usually end up taking it off in short order and tying it around my waist.
Jeans and sweatshirt hiking? Death fabrics!! :smile: I wear wicking clothes such as Athleta shorts or capri length and wrap icebreaker long sleeve around my waist or in backpack!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Jeans and sweatshirt hiking? Death fabrics!! :smile: I wear wicking clothes such as Athleta shorts or capri length and wrap icebreaker long sleeve around my waist or in backpack!

Lol! Yeah - agreed. I sweat like a beast. It's wool and synthetics for me all year long when I'm hiking.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, now what about a jacket? I have base and mid-layers galore, but nothing but ski jackets for wet conditions. I need a shell that's weather-wise and tough enough to stand up to some scrambling and rough branches, etc.

Yup. We hike in the woods basically and mostly in spring and fall when it's cooler. I am just very comfortable in jeans, a tank top and the sweatshirt usually winds up around my waist. Michael usually wears some kind of shorts or thin pants. He rarely wears jeans but is more of a sweater than I am. I warm up fast but don't sweat much. If it's even slightly warm out I wear shorts. We aren't serious hikers so this works for us. I'd are went on longer hikes maybe I'd change what I wear. Good suggestions on here but for me i don't do enough hiking to warrant extra clothes.

Michael would probably hike more and I encourage him to go without me as long hikes aren't my thing.

Last edited:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, now what about a jacket? I have base and mid-layers galore, but nothing but ski jackets for wet conditions. I need a shell that's weather-wise and tough enough to stand up to some scrambling and rough branches, etc.

I have an Outdoor Research Aspire jacket. I love it for a lot of reasons, but the pit zips that go right to the hem is a big one. If you're looking for something waterproof but don't necessarily need Gore-Tex, most of the main companies make jackets with a DWR coating that run more in the $100-150 range here. I was happy with my Marmot Precip jacket for many years.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ive had the North Face Venture jacket for years - backpacking, scrambling, all uses. It's a pretty tough jacket, for a very reasonable price. I've worn it all seasons, and even for march-may skiing. I'll wear it with a Northface thermoball underneath, or my nanopuff, or even just a fleece.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/w...nwear/womens-venture-jacket-3?variationId=HYQ
Great minds think alike. I have both the North Face Venture jacket and the North Face thermoball.. I usually hike in Tahoe (yay going end of September) and always bring the Venture in case of rain. Lightweight, hood, pit zips .... Also just an icebreaker or smart wool long sleeve b/c usually still quite warm in Tahoe.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 to both Outdoor Research Aspire and North Face Venture jackets! They both serve as spring skiing jackets for me, and easy to stow in my backpack for hiking just in case of rain.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga