• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Life Hacks for Skiing

The one that made me feel more bulky was one like this:
https://shop.camelbak.com/store/ProductImages/details/50002_poppy_l.jpg

And the current one that's flatter is looks like this one:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/05/f5/50/05f5509a185bf9e5a9fa4d17e440b8de.jpg

It doesn't look it but the outdoor one (the first image) has that front clipped on section that pokes way out when you put things in the bag. And that was what was making it feel bulgy on the lift sitting down. But the second one doesn't have that so things either sit at the very bottom (heavy/irregular shaped items) and the flatter things like another layer I'm carrying just sits flat against the back. And for some weird reason, I feel like I carry less things because there isn't as many separate compartments. Plus, I get the option to carry skis/snowboard and other equipment on the bag if I venture off-piste or is just hiking (up a hill or to/from parking lot).

Thanks. I have my outdoor on that's more on the bulky side but is smaller. Then I have my bigger but flatter LL Bean one. I have just been skiing the last 2 times without one. I'll likely go back to one but am just kind of enjoying not having one at the moment.

compost

Certified Ski Diva
I don't have a boot heater but still want toasty booth when I arrive at the hill. My method is to put the boots on the floor of the front seat, and point the openings at the floor heat vent. Then I turn up the heat and fan to high. Fairly toasty boots. My upgrade will be a portable boot heater to further toast up the insides.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fill a couple of small water bottles from the kettle and put them in my boots under my mitts and socks. Happy feet.:thumbsup:

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Lilywhite Does that warm entire boot INCLUDING toe area? Cold toes are my nemesis.

Cold bottom...on cold days I put my DH heavy underwear. Stole a pair when he'd bought a pack.

Was just talking to my boss about skiing when it gets wicked cold and he said he uses Vaseline. He puts it on his face, his hands and his feet. The thought of slimy gel on me with gloves, face masks and socks over it kinda grosses me out but maybe I shouldn't knock it until I try it..................

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was just talking to my boss about skiing when it gets wicked cold and he said he uses Vaseline. He puts it on his face, his hands and his feet. The thought of slimy gel on me with gloves, face masks and socks over it kinda grosses me out but maybe I shouldn't knock it until I try it..................

I've heard of this for the face, and I'm sure it works if you don't mess with it and leave it on there. But hands and feet? Yeah, I don't think I'd enjoy that.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those who have to deal with potential altitude sickness when going up to the mountains, we buy pedialyte powder packs and keep a few in our Camelbaks/sleeve pockets, along with an empty water bottle. It doesn't have the sugar content that gatorade has, and a great way to beat dehydration!

(Also a great way to beat hangovers :-P)

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I certainly wouldn't like slick toes.
Yuck hate slick toes, can't stand when they do that in a massage either. I do put spf lotion on my cheeks even if I'm covered by balaclavas and the lotion does help prevent wind burn.
Here's another ski hack that works for me. I used to hate the wet/moist fleece around my nose/mouth but want to stay warm. The neoprene ones still let in cold air. Do both and problem solved! I wear a hybrid fleece head/neoprene balaclava (fits away from face) and then pull over a fleece neck gaitor/or 2nd balaclava on top. One time in my search for this set up, I was even wearing a surgical mask under to try and hold the fleece off my skin.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get a REALLY cold backside when I ski or just go out at night in the ski resort. I think it's the extra layer of fat that gets really chilly.
After freezing my butt off last week, I have come up with a solution to avoid the arctic arse. I get the adhesive toe warmers that you are supposed to stick to your sock and I stick them to the outside of my undies - one on each cheek. The result is totally toasty cheeks!
An added side benefit is that if I sit on one of the benches on the side of the runs in the rest areas I melt the hard packed ice on the bench seat! lol[/QUO

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had two pair of skis with me often this week--carvers for the morning, and wider for the pm slush. I have a Ski Key because I don't ever like to leave skis unlocked. I was thinking I needed another key for lunchtime, when I needed to lock both. Then someone pointed out that if you use the snowboard rack, you can lock two skis at once. Genuis!

(Then Okemo inexplicably removed the locking racks from the Jackson Gore base area. An employee said "don't worry, there's not much theft here, it's totally safe to leave them out." Umm, NO. So I had to hike back to the car in the afternoon to switch out skis.)

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I have a Ski Key because I don't ever like to leave skis unlocked.
Is this one of those east coast-west coast differences? I've never considered locking my skis and I cant really recall seeing anyone else lock theirs either but I've only ever skied the west. How common is locking your skis in the east?

I lock up my skis everywhere I go except for Mount Snow, Vermont because they have a ski check so I pay my $2 and skis are taken care of for the day. When not at Mount Snow I have a 3 digit code cable lock that I carry with me. The only time I don't lock up my skis is when I'm teaching part time at my home mountain because we all stash our skis when on a break on the side of the employee lounge. The only folks who go near this building are employees so I feel the skis are safe here.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is this one of those east coast-west coast differences? I've never considered locking my skis and I cant really recall seeing anyone else lock theirs either but I've only ever skied the west. How common is locking your skis in the east?

Me too...I don't think I've ever seen anyone lock their skis in Colorado...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna