• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Any suggestions for plus-sized ski clothing?

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
I know there is an older thread on this subject but I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with plus-sized ski pants. I have been looking at Columbia's offerings on-line but wasn't sure how they fit or how warm they are.

Banff is an awesome ski-town but the clothing is mostly aimed at the younger and the thinner crowd (understandably but still depressing). I am a fairly fit size 20 (I biked all summer and put on a fair amount of leg muscle) but I don't want my weight to stop me from being able to ski comfortably. I will happily buy men's ski pants if that is what it takes...

Thanks in advance! I appreciate how patient you all are in answering my questions. :smile:

Janet in banff

Jilly

Staff member
I was trying on ski jackets the other day in the store. I was having a hard time fitting into anything L. I wear a 12-14 depending on the manufacturer. Salomon stuff had to be XL. Even the Rossi stuff was too tight at L and my jacket from a few years ago is a M-L. The clothes this year all seem to be cut smaller or tighter. More of a european fit. I'm ordering a soft shell from Columbia and it'll need to be an XL to fit over my hips!

About Columbia - Titanium is their top of the line. This is only stuff to look at in their line. I haven't really looked at the stuff in the store yet. I've been avoiding that place. But we had the Columbia PK Friday night. So I had to go. You'll have try on some XL to see.

Is there an Avalanche store in Banff or Calgary? They seem to make bigger stuff that isn't always unisex/male. Also take a look at MEC in Calgary if you're heading in. Once you know sizing, you can order online.

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
I was trying on ski jackets the other day in the store. I was having a hard time fitting into anything L. I wear a 12-14 depending on the manufacturer. Salomon stuff had to be XL. Even the Rossi stuff was too tight at L and my jacket from a few years ago is a M-L. The clothes this year all seem to be cut smaller or tighter. More of a european fit. I'm ordering a soft shell from Columbia and it'll need to be an XL to fit over my hips!

About Columbia - Titanium is their top of the line. This is only stuff to look at in their line. I haven't really looked at the stuff in the store yet. I've been avoiding that place. But we had the Columbia PK Friday night. So I had to go. You'll have try on some XL to see.

Is there an Avalanche store in Banff or Calgary? They seem to make bigger stuff that isn't always unisex/male. Also take a look at MEC in Calgary if you're heading in. Once you know sizing, you can order online.

Thanks Jilly! I am in and out of Calgary at least once a month so I will check out MEC. Not sure if there is an Avalanche here in Banff or Calgary, I will have to check. Great tips! I will also check out the plus-sized shops in Calgary as they sometimes carry ski-type clothing. I am thinking it is waterproofness followed by warmth as criteria.

Janet

Jilly

Staff member
lands end is pretty good getting their stuff here to Canada. And with the $ almost at par!!?? If you see something on their website, post/ask and I'm sure a Diva will know about it.

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
lands end is pretty good getting their stuff here to Canada. And with the $ almost at par!!?? If you see something on their website, post/ask and I'm sure a Diva will know about it.

Funny you should say that as I found these:
https://www.landsend.com/pp/SkiPant...A&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000556&origin=index

on there and was thinking about them as well as from another site these:
https://www.justgear.com/winter/products/womens/RAWIK___7316A.asp

anyone here know these?

Thanks!

Janet:smile:

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi Eirika, having spent extensive time in Banff - I can confidently tell you that the only size 16 *anything* you'll find in Banff is a pair of Levi's at the bottom of the pile in The Hudson Bay company! :D

You'll have to get down to Calgary - but then my Banff-living friends tell me NOBODY buys anything in Banff if they can avoid it... what with it being allegedly the most expensive place in Canada!

When I was in Breck last year I noticed that the shops there seemed to be catching on that there might be *ahem* more "powerfully built" women on the slopes and TWO stores stocked nice pants in a size 20 - I was gob-smacked! These were nicely made and seemed to be designed rather than simply two bed quilts thrown together and dyed black! Both retailing at about $100 which I didn't think was bad at all for a resort town!

I noticed Walmart had cheap & cheerful up to a size 24, I'm not sure if you have Decathlon over there but they also go up to about a 24.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A quick post-script in re: Lands' End: their sizing, and just in the last 2 or 3 years, has changed, and stuff runs BIG. Have shopped with them for years, and it definitely has changed, IMO. Therefore, given the (almost explicably) generous sizing, you could have good luck w/them, and their guarantee/return policy is equally generous (though I'm not sure about their shipping rates to CA, which could be a deal-breaker??). Another to consider is LL Bean, not sure what they offer, but sizing also is generous, as is similar return/guarantee policies.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just so you know, I feel for anyone who is a size 14 or more when they shop for ski clothing.
I normally wear a big 6 or a small 8. There is a big problem in the ski industry when someone my size feels like a medium is too tight and considers getting a large.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^ TOTALLY agree. Sizing is just all over the map. :mad2: I invariably wind up with a L jacket (better is a 12), 10/M just too confining and restrictive with more layers. But cannot for the life of me find pants that REALLY fit, have been trying for several years, this is crazy. It's getting a little costly.....YES, I do try on! :frusty: (do men have similar sizing problems? I DOUBT IT!)

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I hear ya on the pants sizing. I wear a size 10-12, normally, but some ski pants sizes I wear are an XL.

I have found that Oakley pants fit true to size (my larges are actually big on me...but then they're snowboard pants) and Patagonia also fits pretty true to size.

The whole thing is really annoying when one considers the fact that many women skiers are athletically built; we actually have quad muscles and aren't rail-thin. And.....pants need to accommodate a base layer beneath as well!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm going to be near a Patagonia outlet store next weekend and will have to try some pants on there. Agree re: snowboard pants. My son got me to try some 8+- years ago. I wore them out. (Orage) Thought I might have a winner with TNF Insulated Freedom, the ones that were raved about here last season. Nope. Too big. The issue for me is that S/M/L is so inconsistent. For some mfrs, M is 6-8, for some 10-12, and NEITHER option seems to work out for me. :mad2: Marker and Fera do have even sizing, but now I'm between sizes even with Markers! :eek: Hard to say what's worse, pants that are too big or too small. Skiing companions can verify that I have had to stop mid-run to hike up my pants! :laugh: (not as funny to me...)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The whole thing is really annoying when one considers the fact that many women skiers are athletically built; we actually have quad muscles and aren't rail-thin. And.....pants need to accommodate a base layer beneath as well!
For me, this applies to jackets. Have broad shoulders, and I work them like crazy to build up (past problems with this joint), so have to accommodate this need - and the rest of the jacket is then too big....so the cinch cord is invariably in serious use, sometimes to the point of looking borderline silly. :confused:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used men's ski bibs when I couldn't find women's ski pants that fit well enough. Last 2 seasons I had Oakley "snowboard" pants (actually ski pants specifically but more snowboard style) and they fit pretty well, considering. But their sizing varies dramatically, too. While the XL ski pants fit, their XL bike shorts do not. Very frustrating.

You have my sympathies!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga