• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your thoughts on luxury ski resorts.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
I am curious to hear your thoughts on luxury ski resorts and whether the resorts that are fall into this category live up to their hype? I have been to a couple which I believe fall into the category: Beaver Creek & Deer Valley, both of which I enjoyed and am scheduled for a first-time visit to another reputed luxury resort this winter: Northstar on Lake Tahoe. I think Sun Valley is supposed to fall into this category as well as several European resorts i.e. St Moritz, Courchevel, and Lech.

What other resorts do you think fall into this category and do you think they are worth visiting? Is it simply the availability upscale food and lodging or is there something more to it? Your thoughts? Thank you :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm torn about responding to this! I love a grand hotel, amazing lodge, with clean, clean rest rooms (with lotion available as well as soap), fabulous food, attractive amenities, and heated seats on the lift.

On the other hand, I've had some of the most fun in small, unpretentious ski areas, where the lodge is overflowing with kids, crock pots, and missing items of clothing under the tables, the lift might be temperamental, and everybody is friendly and it doesn't make any difference what you wear. (Here's lookin' at you, Berkshire East!)

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
You can go read my Deer Valley review. I've enjoyed certain luxuries before like clean, modern bathrooms, but overall, I think I prefer simpler resorts. I was on ski team in college and we always had fun at random tiny New England resorts like Ascutney and Middlebury Snow Bowl. Out west, I like some of the smaller Tahoe resorts as well as Snowbird, Alta, and a few others in Utah. I just feel uneasy spending too much on the non-skiing components of trips - I've started bringing bag lunches more just because it feels inherently wrong to spend $20 on a simple greasy lunch for one.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
...clean rest rooms ... fabulous food...

I do love a clean restroom and fabulous food. Ironically, some of the ski areas where I had the most delicious food also had the sketchiest toilets. The huts in Italy sometimes had no running water as the pipes freeze in winter. I’ve never been tremendously talented using a Turkish-style squat toilet let alone in ski clothing and ski boots! I had to order a 2nd Aperol spritz just to work up the courage.

...and heated seats on the lift.

I forgot about heated seats! I was told the lifts would be heated at Beaver Creek but all the seats were freezing freezing cold.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That more-or-less describes most resorts on a weekday.
Then I will add to my definition of luxury is all that I have listed, ALL WEEK LONG. Not everyone has the luxury to ski midweek - I do at Taos, but my husband would be willing to pay anything for no crowds on weekends. Last season, he paid extra $85/person to ski for an hour before the lift opened to the public every Sunday.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Sun Valley does have some of these perks that are associated with a more upscale place--nice day lodges, great food, a lack of lift lines, lifties that handle your skis on the gondola, little amenities like free cubbies to store your stuff, nice bathrooms, good customer service, a gift shop/boutique that makes me want to buy things; bartenders that know what they are doing. But you can stay in a number of hotels there for ~$150/night; you can eat at the older lodge on top for relatively little; you can bring your own lunch and they won't bar you from eating in a lodge or stick you in a gross basement, and they let you have hot water for free; you don't have to buy a hand painted mug for $34 (it's so cute, I couldn't resist); in other words, it doesn't have to cost you $$$$. Or you can go for it and stay at the Sun Valley Lodge which is worth every penny.

So while sure, there are nice amenities there it's up to you whether you want a luxury experience.

8 or so years ago when I skied DV I guess maybe that would have counted as a luxury experience, with the combo of restricted ticket sales, high ticket cost (so, we were paying for the exclusivity), great food (I agree with Susan, you need great food to be considered luxury, and it's not found at most ski areas), and little perks like free sunscreen. I did think that was worth it. It was a weekend and numbers of people were very reasonable. But according to Divas here the ticket sales caps have been lifted to the point of worthlessness, and they are on Ikon, so that would no longer count. If you stay at the Stein Eriksen, where they put your boots on for you, I guess that would give you a luxury experience, as long as you are the kind of person that wants someone else to buckle their boots for them.

I skied little Snoqualmie Summit this morning--a day use area for Seattle people. Not luxury by any stretch. A hamburger there is still $18. I could eat better and cheaper at Sun Valley.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
...I just feel uneasy spending too much on the non-skiing components of trips - I've started bringing bag lunches more just because it feels inherently wrong to spend $20 on a simple greasy lunch for one.

I usually feel uneasy before a trip but once on-site, despite my best efforts, I automatically switch into vacation mode: the magical realm where money is limitless. But it is a good idea... I think for my upcoming trip to Utah I might try packing some bag lunches but when I’m in Europe I may as well splurge because the slope-side lunches are literally some of the best meals I’ve had in my life. And don’t get me started on the food at the Club Med in Val Thorens. I didn’t think it would be possible to ski all-day for 6-days and still come home 10lbs fatter.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
In thinking about this more just now, I'm kind of a simple person and my definition of luxury would be a really great grilled cheese sandwich or crispy french fries and a delicious hot chocolate. If any ski resorts have that for a reasonable price, I'm all in. I just can't deal with mediocre grilled cheese for $17 or extensive top-of-the-line seafood buffets for "price on request." It's similar when I travel (non-skiing) - I'm much more into amazing street food than amazing Michelin star type places. Just a matter of personal preference.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I usually feel uneasy before a trip but once on-site, despite my best efforts, I automatically switch into vacation mode: the magical realm where money is limitless. But it is a good idea... I think for my upcoming trip to Utah I might try packing some bag lunches but when I’m in Europe I may as well splurge because the slope-side lunches are literally some of the best meals I’ve had in my life. And don’t get me started on the food at the Club Med in Val Thorens. I didn’t think it would be possible to ski all-day for 6-days and still come home 10lbs fatter.

Haha, sounds like a dream trip!!

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
@Christy I just checked the Sun Valley Lodge and I see what you mean... looks lovely!

I’ve always wanted to ski the PNW and as I have both Ikon & Epic this passes this year I was considering a mini-tour of the area but it’s always the same story... the weather is so unpredictable and I’m such a scared-y-cat when it comes to driving in inclement weather. I’ve seen photos of powder tree skiing at Alpental and it looks dreamy.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
Oh no! That's where I am going at the end of the month!

You’ll be basking in culinary delights in Val Tho and I’ll be knee-deep in green Jello in SLC. I’m green with envy! All I can say is, bring stretchy pants... the raw bar, the foie gras, the cheese, the wine, the champagne, the desserts. And if you smile and greet everyone with a friendly “bonjour” or ”bonsoir” they really appreciate the courtesy and roll out the red carpet. Just be careful with the Génépy, it leads to bad decisions!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We do Club Med in Cancun for the beach vacay but it is on my list for Club Med skiing!

Christy

Angel Diva
@Christy

I’ve always wanted to ski the PNW and as I have both Ikon & Epic this passes this year I was considering a mini-tour of the area but it’s always the same story... the weather is so unpredictable and I’m such a scared-y-cat when it comes to driving in inclement weather. I’ve seen photos of powder tree skiing at Alpental and it looks dreamy.

I would call you smart rather than a scaredy cat. Winter weather can be rough here. I wouldn't plan a trip in advance to WA if I were a visitor. Crystal was just closed for 5 days due to landslides on the highway there; the highway to Stevens was closed for 5-6 days a few weeks ago due to trees and power lines down; 1-90 up to Alpental/Snoqualmie Pass is closed frequently due to avalanche control, dumb drivers, etc. Maybe a last minute trip when you know conditions are good but calm. But also we don't have ski "resorts" with much in the way of lodging, which makes it less appealing for visitors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna