• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your preferred avalanche transceiver?

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're supposed to be doing an avalanche awareness course soon (if the snow ever comes), and it occurs to me that really, we should have our own gear, so we can practice throughout the season and be in a position to head out of bounds at a moment's notice. In addtion, our local mountain is relatively slide prone, even in-bounds at certain times, and it might be wise for us, and the kids, to wear beacons at those times.

So, you backcountry divas, I am wondering what transceivers you carry, and what you like, or don't like about them. Remember, we are complete novices to such gear, and are unlikely to use them for real touring -- it's really the ski fields' out of bounds areas that we have our eye on. So they need to be easy to use. Any suggestions you might have for shovels and probes also gratefully received.

I've had a look around shops here, but they have limited stocks of beacons, and they are eye-wateringly expensive, very unfortunate considering the number of avalanche deaths we've had. But -- I can get them on-line from the US for roughly half the price they are here (even taking shipping into account), and much as I'd rather support our local struggling businesses, in this case it makes no sense!

So far I like the sound of the BCA Tracker 2, or the Pieps DSP, but I am very open to other suggestions.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely!
I use a Mammut Pulse Barryvox transceiver.

What I like about it: intuituve, arrow turns and points behind me, pinpoint reminder, basic setting is very easy to use, advanced functions if I get to the point of being able to use them (and feeling comfortable doing it).

What I don't like about it: the harness has it sitting right in the front, which is comfortable and fine when skiing but not always comfortable with a radio harness. The harness also has a tendency to un-adjust its own straps once it's been adjusted.

I haven't used the Tracker 2 but I've heard good things. The Tracker was always advertised as being easy to use, and the Tracker 2 is much the same but updated and improved. Personally, I found the Tracker difficult to use, but that was just me.

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a Tracker DTS... super easy to use and reliable, a monkey could probably use it it's so intuitive. The newer triple antenna beacons they're coming out with like the Pulse are pretty slick in terms of bells and whistles and search efficiency, but they take a lot more practice in order to use them to their full potential. Tracker 2 is a prefectly fine beacon. It seems from friends who use it that the Pieps DSP is pretty easy too but don't know from personal experience. For a probe, minimum 240cm and strong. Shovel... metal blade is my preference for its strength (although there are some lexan blades out there just as strong from what I've read) and I like a d-grip but that's all personal preference (I use the Voile T6). I wouldn't go shovel/probe combo because those probes tend to be really short, although I think BCA just came out with a combo with a full length probe.

altagirl

Staff member
I also have a Tracker. Honestly, I haven't messed with other models much - whenever I've done any training or anything, the universal recommendation has been a Tracker unless you're a professional and train a lot. I've had it for probably 6 years - no issues, though thankfully I haven't had to use it for anything other than practice sessions either!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used both the Tracker 2 and the model before it (plain old Tracker?). Not sure if it was the user (me!) or the equipment, but the Tracker 2 seemed to be more accurate. I know that wasn't your question, but I thought I'd share. :smile:

I have no idea how the Pieps transceiver works, but for me being a newbie in the backcountry and not tech savvy, I was surprised at having to press a particular button twice on the old Tracker to go from one mode into another, although I understand that flipping a switch isn't exactly the best idea if you're making a device that could get churned in a slide. I guess I'd like the certainty of knowing that I pressed a particular button, rather than that my two presses got registered.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I wonder if I should wait until I've done the course, use the beacon they lend us, and then make a decision after I've played around with that? Then I'd have some idea of what features I like or not.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only had one - Ortovox Digital Patroller. it got mixed reviews, but I found it very easy to operate, and when we did training my team's search time for multiple victims was always the best when it was used, much faster than with BCA Tracker that my friend was using. The only inconvenience is that it's difficult to keep on you and switched off (for example when you start the day in the resort but going outbounds later during the day). But I will get a strap-on case for it next season to address this issue.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just ordered a Tracker 2, got a good deal on it. Unbelievable how much cheaper they are offshore, like $300 NZ. I got them to check that it was unaffected by the recall earlier this year. Looks like I will be booking for that course soon -- the fields here have been blasted by storms this week :thumbsup: but avalanche danger is very high.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used pieps when I was skiing Bridger Bowl a few years ago. Loaned to me by the friend who was taking me there.
We picked up pieps at the trade show this past January and like how they work.

Here's the SIA interview we did for Epicski - Some really neat technology from them. I especially like the special pieps for your dog with a different signal, and the ability to mark a found signal and shut it off so you can count on unfound signals.
https://vimeo.com/22791113
[YOUTUBE]https://vimeo.com/22791113[/YOUTUBE]

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That probe looks pretty cool too. I've also been thinking about something that I can attach to my daughter that would let us find her if something happened in bounds. I saw something like this advertised last year for use on the club fields (which although avy-controlled, have occasionally suffered slides in-bounds) but can't remember what it was or who made it. Maybe it was something like the Pieps Freeride. I'm guessing that dog collar is on a different frequency so that you can concentrate on human rescues first?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That probe looks pretty cool too. I've also been thinking about something that I can attach to my daughter that would let us find her if something happened in bounds. I saw something like this advertised last year for use on the club fields (which although avy-controlled, have occasionally suffered slides in-bounds) but can't remember what it was or who made it. Maybe it was something like the Pieps Freeride. I'm guessing that dog collar is on a different frequency so that you can concentrate on human rescues first?
Yes the one for the dog is a different frequency so they can concentrate on human rescues first.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After some digging around (so to speak) it looks like the transmitter I recalled is called a Life-Bip, made by Arva. Looks like they're not made anymore.

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
I use the Pieps DSP, and I swear by it. I'm a professional ski patroller, and wear my beacon every day, and so this is an important piece of equipment. I've played around with Trackers, but always come back to my Pieps. I like the size of Pieps. I don't use the strap it comes with, instead I put it the pocket of my pants for easy retrieval. The last thing I'd want to do is have to monkey with all those straps, in the event my partner got caught in an avalanche. It's also important to keep it away from your radio.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga