• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Your Cataclysmic Nightmare Is My Powdery Paradise"

dividedsky75

Angel Diva
An article written by the man who runs the "Ski Bums" group. I think we can all relate to his enthusiasm (lgbt or not).

Your Cataclysmic Nightmare Is My Powdery Paradise

Posted: 02/26/2013 6:51 pm

When a huge winter storm hits, my Facebook friends fall into two camps. They may post identical status updates -- "We're about to get 15 inches of snow!" -- but for the first camp, it's a cry of cataclysmic horror. For them, winter storms are transportation nightmares that the Weather Channel has started naming this year, like hurricanes. Nemo is no longer a poor, lost clownfish; he's a menacing snow monster. For the second camp, that same status update will earn a dozen "likes" and an excited string of comments: "See you on the first chair tomorrow morning -- powder day!" These friends love to ski and snowboard.
A few years ago I created a group for LGBT skiers and snowboarders and called it Ski Bums. We host social events and group trips to all the world's best ski resorts, and it's given me the chance to have a Facebook news feed filled with posts by more than 3,000 winter enthusiasts who get giddy at the sight of snow. Membership is free, so we've got folks from around the globe, some who are learning the sport for the first time, others who have been skiing and riding since they were 5.
It's not that I don't understand why those in the first camp would rather hibernate than head outdoors. I live in New York City, where a thunderstorm can justify rescheduling a dinner date. Slush isn't kind to designer shoes. Outdoorsy gays can be hard to find; simply ask the locals how they'd feel about a day in the snow, and you'll hear a lot more "ewwww" than "ooooh!" As the storm called Nemo started pummeling the city, these friends planned a weekend on the couch, queuing up episodes of Downton Abbey for their favorite quotations, and queuing up at Trader Joe's for their favorite munchies.
But spend a day on a Ski Bums trip to Colorado, Utah, Austria or Argentina and you'll understand our enthusiasm. Skiing and snowboarding aren't merely sports; they combine the thrill of an exhilarating outdoor activity with the relaxation of a vacation. A day on skis can feel like flying, as you soar over hills through some of the world's most spectacular vistas. Riding a snowboard through fluffy pillows of powder is fun, the kind of pure fun that little kids seem to have more easily than we do. Remember when you simply wanted to go outside and play? You still can.
Within LGBT culture, there's something about that sort of fun that feels extra-rare. And extra-great. Although gay nightlife may offer the chance for an extended adolescence, by the time you hit your mid-30s, what passed for "fun" when you first arrived in the city just isn't quite so exciting anymore. The fresh-faced new crop of cuties will happily remind you that you're not a kid anymore. It's harder to bounce back from a weekend bender.
But skiing and snowboarding is just as enjoyable now as it was when I was 7. When you're dangling on a chair lift, ascending to an altitude above 10,000 feet, with nothing but sheer rocky cliffs underneath you, your pulse races in a way that no midnight dance club can match. As I drop in on a double black diamond run, pushing the bounds of my physical agility in some of the world's most beautiful places, there's a spine-tingling rush and a huge sense of satisfaction at the end of the day.
There's an entire mindset that you'll find among skiers and snowboarders worldwide. It's a laid-back ease. A love of simply being outdoors. A bond that's formed by exploring unfamiliar terrain. For many of us in Ski Bums, it's refreshing to find other people with that mindset who happen to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. These aren't people who sit at home; they want to explore the world and try new things. They push their boundaries, mentally and physically. And thankfully, that mindset extends beyond my group to the rural mountain communities where we ski and ride; we're always given a warm welcome everywhere we go.
So thankfully, those winter whiners won't come to mind when my friends and I are finishing the day on a sun-drenched terrace, with mountains stretching in every direction, drinking crisp beers and soaking in a steaming hot tub. Let the haters hibernate. When we post our pictures of a gorgeous adventure in the mountains together, they just may be the first to admit, "Wow, that looks like fun!"
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chri...ghtmare-is-my-powdery-paradise_b_2769041.html

Emy!Dee

Certified Ski Diva
There's an entire mindset that you'll find among skiers and snowboarders worldwide. It's a laid-back ease. A love of simply being outdoors. A bond that's formed by exploring unfamiliar terrain.

LOVE THIS! So well put!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So true!! When it rains, my friends have learned that I get excited and start tapping at my smartphone to get a snow report. "It can't snow up there if it doesn't rain down here," I say - little comfort for them, unfortunately!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nicely restated sentiment – and stated previously in one way or another by all of us!! Seems like there’s a lot of us when we’re actually out there....but head home, and > wow. I live 1 hour+- from 3 major ski resorts, and after 12 years here, have yet to know more than a handful of people who even ski once or twice a winter. Most are from “the other camp.” So my enthusiasm is fully lost on them. Most of the skiers travel a much greater distance to get up here; they’re from The Big (coastal) Cities. I guess small town people don’t participate much....although they do ice-fish, snowmobile etc. It’s great to get to skiing and see miles of smiles versus grumbles (I do enough of that in “spring” here!).

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Truth.

Or, as I put it ahead of that massive storm, "Two kinds of people in the world. One kind hears "blizzard coming" and head to the grocery store for candles, matches, and cans of soup. The other kind hears "blizzard coming" and heads up to Vermont a day ahead of it so as to be in the best possible position for the moment the clouds break and the wind subsides. Guess which kind I am?"

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
So true!! When it rains, my friends have learned that I get excited and start tapping at my smartphone to get a snow report. "It can't snow up there if it doesn't rain down here," I say - little comfort for them, unfortunately!

Gardenmary, I say almost the same thing when it's raining in LA. "It's not fair if it's raining in LA and not dumping at Mammoth." The good thing is that it usually is. :ski:

See you soon at Mammoth Diva week. Let's hope for some good rain in LA and major dumpage at Mammoth in the upcomign weeks. :whoo: :fireworks: :yahoo:

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got a message from a friend and instructor I used to work with. She and the ski club are leaving on a trip early on March 10th. She asked me if I would like to go ski with her and another friend the day before they leave. To me this is a normal person. The crazy ones are the people who are whining about our weather forecast, saying how terrible it is.:rolleyes: Snow is predicted. This will be the last week our ski area are open for this season. I'm hoping the weather cooperates and gives us a bit of real fluff to end the season. For me this will likely be the end of skiing till next winter. Is it evil of me to hope my snow hating friends get bombarded by a few more late snow storms?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do those who do not enjoy snow sports get through the winter, that's what I want to know? That post pretty well summed up what I think we all feel and why we all do it. It's just a rush, and yet peaceful, and entertaining, and challenging. And and...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do those who do not enjoy snow sports get through the winter, that's what I want to know? That post pretty well summed up what I think we all feel and why we all do it. It's just a rush, and yet peaceful, and entertaining, and challenging. And and...
I think they move to the southern/southwestern states!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was riding up in the lift on Sat with a guy who mentioned he'd taken a 15 year break from skiing. Silence descended on the chair, until finally someone said "Why would you do something like that?" Guy said he thought it would be good to live in Florida. Silence descended again. Someone else broke it by saying "It's pretty flat there." And someone else said "And not much snow." And there was a collective shudder, including from the guy who'd spent 15 years in Florida. He said he liked to golf. I said "Golf in the summer, ski in the winter, like everyone else. Or go to New Zealand and golf in the winter and ski in the summer."

One person volunteered that ONE spring, they'd been able to ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon. I want to make a reservation for *that* Heaven. Only, I'll ski in the morning and golf or ride in the afternoon. And once in a while, just to shake things up, I'll golf and ride in the morning and ski in the afternoon. Yep. My kind of Afterlife...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was riding up in the lift on Sat with a guy who mentioned he'd taken a 15 year break from skiing. Silence descended on the chair, until finally someone said "Why would you do something like that?" Guy said he thought it would be good to live in Florida. Silence descended again. Someone else broke it by saying "It's pretty flat there." And someone else said "And not much snow." And there was a collective shudder, including from the guy who'd spent 15 years in Florida. He said he liked to golf. I said "Golf in the summer, ski in the winter, like everyone else. Or go to New Zealand and golf in the winter and ski in the summer."

One person volunteered that ONE spring, they'd been able to ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon. I want to make a reservation for *that* Heaven. Only, I'll ski in the morning and golf or ride in the afternoon. And once in a while, just to shake things up, I'll golf and ride in the morning and ski in the afternoon. Yep. My kind of Afterlife...

You will hate me. I rode my horse last Saturday in a t-shirt, then skied on Sunday on fresh-ish snow with temps in the 20's. :becky: There's a reason it costs so stinkin' much to live here! We get the best of both worlds. In one day!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, you're right. I hate you. :tongue: I haven't had a horse under my butt since Thanksgiving. I am dreading the day after that first ride of the spring, which isn't going to be any time soon given how much Frozen Yuk there is on the ring. We're still getting snow on the ski areas (YAY!) while moving into mud season in the valley (UGH!).

That's the only beef I have with snow. I'd like it to stay really nice until it's time to be gone, and then I want it to disappear overnight and have flowers come up right after. My Heaven isn't going to have *any* period where it's slimy black mud sucking the rubber shoes off my feet, let alone six weeks worth.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Colorado - definitely can do this with skiing and hiking/mountain biking. I wouldn't know about golf. ("Why would you do something like that?" is a question I would ask about golf!)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It’s certainly possible in Maine - late-season, higher elevation skiing, then “descend” to lower valleys for other sports. A big 2-sport late season thing is skiing a.m., kayaking in high water snow-melt (put-in is actually on Sugarloaf access road) in the aft. One glorious year, there actually WAS the option of skiing a.m. and playing golf (front 9 only) on resort course afterward. They called it “ski and tee.” What a riot.
ry%3D400

Jilly

Staff member
Mont Ste Anne and Grey Rocks used to do that too, golf and ski on your lift ticket. First weekend in May for Ste Anne. Before global warming its as the May long weekend for Grey Rocks.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of Junes ago, I took the kids skiing at ABasin in the morning, and to the pool in the afternoon!

That same June I skied ABasin in the morning and rode my bike in the afternoon, on my birthday.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Colorado - definitely can do this with skiing and hiking/mountain biking. I wouldn't know about golf. ("Why would you do something like that?" is a question I would ask about golf!)
Bwahahahahaha!!!!! :rotf: I'm with ya.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga