• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Would You Ski This?

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would you ski this? Have you already skied it or something like it? And what would it take for you to ski it successfully?

Do discuss, Divas!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ummmmmmm.... nope. Wouldn't do it. What it would take? A miracle. :ROTF:

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely! I skied something remotely similar in the Tahoe area - I think it was at Kirkwood - similar trail width and steepness but not nearly as long. Probably not as steep actually - but it was amazing!

What does it take?
- strong core
- good conditions
- strong hip rotators/ability to really move those skis around
- confidence
- Probably also requires not asking yourself "what would happen if..."

Thanks for posting that!

Elsbeth

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I woukd do it...in my dreams!!

Looks very impressive though!! Nice video.

In a way it doesn't look too bad from the helmet cam and almost possible. In reality though, if I was standing at the top I would probably run a mile in the opposite direction when I looked down!!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Great little video.

I think the steepest I have skied is about 43-45 degrees, and when you look down at that, over a thousand feet, it's a huge pucker factor.
:redface:

This was something like 5,000ft? And 50 degrees for a lot of it? Yikes.

I think the tight/narrow bits would actually help, as there's lots to concentrate on, and a bunch of very low energy, technical turns to make. Narrow and steep is in some ways easier for me than *wide open and able to see all the way to the bottom* steep, mentally, even if it is perhaps more challenging from a technique perspective.

What would it take?
Strong core
Strong legs
Lots of stamina
Lots of snow/avy knowledge
And definitely the right mindset, which means, as DH and I like to say, I would need "to strap on the ovaries."
:eyebrows:

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definite A+ on the yikes factor, for sure!

I found the video, watched it, felt my stomach churn (or was the residual flu symptoms?) and thought I'd need serious drugs to consider skiing that. But it's good to hear that some of you have, some of you would, and what it DOES take to get it done. Well done, Divas!

Anyone else?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's awesome.

Here's some more info on what it takes to get up there:
https://www.summitpost.org/route/519743/The-Hypodermic-Needle-a-k-a-The-Needle-.html

Heh... 5,000ft is a lot of vertical. It took me something like 13 minutes to get top-to-bottom at Whistler on *groomers*. :smile:

I'm not sure what the steepest thing I've skied is, but it was probably the Lake Chutes at Breck and that was probably about 45 degrees where we dropped in -- maybe a little steeper for the first turn or two.

(Not to get all sidetracked, but here's a nice page on the Lake Chutes: https://www.steepchutes.com/lakechutescores.html)

I would love to get to the level where I can do things like this, but I know absolutely nothing about backcountry anything at the moment, which is probably the biggest hurdle between me and making helmet cam videos that people actually want to watch. ;)

I've actually seen this guy's videos before. He made this super fun Powder Mountain video last year that made the rounds on the internet:
https://vimeo.com/3155182

I also just watched this AMAZING video of him absolutely flying down Wolverine Cirque:
https://vimeo.com/9540904
(I've watched this one like 10 times -- insane (full screen it!!!)!)

Here's a pic of Wolverine Cirque, though not sure where the line he took is (though I *think* the east face is to the left in this pic, because this is roughly looking south, yeah? Maybe one of the Utah crew here can correct me):
3348560732_f1c23f1d67.jpg

Anyways! That was an awesome video. :smile: Thanks for posting it!

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
Nice video! Someday, far far away, maybe I can do this... But not now, definitely not now, :fear:

Thanks for posting what I need to work on to get there, though, :eyebrows:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sick!!!!! I could never ski down a 50° steep couloir....

I would do it if I want to commit suicide on ski ...:D

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not the steep that gives me the willies--it's the rock sides... Chutes are the problem for me (i see a clinic in my future...). I have this thing about my face--i like it the way it is, thank you very much. Not really interested in having my nose rearranged to the other side of my head, Picasso withstanding.
So when I see ROCK SIDES, especially the craggly sandpapery kind that we have here in Tahoe, i get the creeps.

Real steep I've done in Austria--where standing sideways on the hill, my uphill ski was at my knee... Made it down safely, with control, and some sense of style. I dunno what degree that is, but DEFINITELY steep. After that, steep doesn't scare me. Big high side-walls of Rock, does...

Obviously, not being one who likes to have these "ghosts" in my closet, I WILL tackle this fear eventually. A clinic perhaps..

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ain't no way this old woman would even THINK of something like that!!! That first part seemed like nothing more than an "entrance slide" - I wouldn't really call it skiing. Now, once he got to the apron, that was very nice.
When I was "young and stupid", the steepest I did was ski one of the chutes at Mammoth - I can't remember if it was Wipe Out or Drop Off. Nothing like having rocks to each side of you to make you say "TURN!!!!" Now, anything with a cornice makes me say NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never skied anything like that but I think Rachel has come close. I do, however, aspire to ski stuff like that.

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG!!! Don't think I'm quite there yet - lol. Although I'm pleased to say the rock sides don't worry me as much as drop offs (is that cornices) - at least my vertigo doesn't kick in with them.

I'm pleased to say that some bits looked awesome though - especially in nice deep powder - apparantly I'm a bit odd for a relative beginner in that I prefer nice soft powder to groomed!

C

CMCM

No, no and NO. I don't even aspire to do this....too much work for one thing, and I want to keep my body intact! For me , extremely steep and narrow does not equal fun.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No way. I'm too old and too wise to attempt something like that. Don't want to trash $30 K of hip surgery either!:eek:
That doesn't mean I don't enjoy other people skiing it, though.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Steep and narrow are not my thing, so no, I wouldn't ski that. The video was fun to watch though.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't attempt that either. It actually looked like too much work and not fun at all! Plus, I'd probably kill myself if I were to try.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No thanks. But with another clinic or two and practice, the chutes at Mt. Rose look possible. Steep but short and no cliffs, 40-55 pitch. Here are views from the Express lift.

MtRosechutesMar2010-1.jpg

MtRosechutesMar2010-2.jpg

MtRosechutesMar2010-3.jpg

MtRosechutesMar2010-4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna