• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Workouts to improve...

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
I am hoping to use my summer (I'm still in high school - free summers!!) to really improve my leg strength, endurance, and balance to be in top notch shape for the skiing season next winter.

Paging through the forum I found a lot of good workout tips, but i was wondering if anyone has any exercise drills to help my balance in particular. I would love to learn any exercises that can help me keep great balance on the slopes, Any additional strength/endurance tips would be great, too! :thumbsup:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A lot of balance comes from core strength so looking at core workouts will help. For me though I've found that I have a particular weakness in my peroneal tendon and hips due to a large Q angle. A PT gave me two exercises to help with those that you might be interested in.

1) Get down on one knee with the other leg in bent in front of you so that knee is at a 90 degree angle. Make sure the foot lines up exactly with the opposite knee that's on the floor. Put arms out to the side and balance. Once you can maintain that do the same thing but hold your arms in the air over your head. And once you've mastered that hold a soccer or basketball in the air over your head and do circles with it.

2) Lie on your side with your knees bent but not fully to the 90 degree angle. Feet should line up with your rear end. Keeping your feet together open your knees like a clam shell. Start with 2 sets of 10-15 reps on each side.

Both of these work small stabilizer muscles/tendons that often get stressed out when trying to balance uneven surfaces.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Get a Bosu ball or balance ball. Practice doing squats on the ball, keeping your head up and eyes ahead. When you get comfortable with that, try it with your eyes closed, and work your way to lunges or one-legged squats on the ball.

You can also do jump squats on a Bosu ball....bend down into a squat position (keeping your back straight), and jump up, landing as softly as you can with legs bent. Doing several sets of 10-14 jump squats is a great workout. The inherent instability of a Bosu ball or balance ball will work a lot of leg and core muscles, and also keep your knees and ankles strong too. And, it's fun!

Rollerblading is also a good aerobic activity that uses similar muscles as skiing and helps with balance.

Christy

Angel Diva
These are what I like. Most I got from Pilates class.

*raise up on your toes, then slowly go back down (we did this in ski fitness class too, for a minute at a time, as one of the stations in the class. We graduated to doing this in a squat.)

*heels together, toes apart (like in ballet), raise up on your toes, close your eyes and hold for 10 seconds. This is super hard for me. Who knew eyes had so much to do with balance?

*Warrior III pose, also with arms out to the sides
https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/941

*bosu exercises, too many to explain here but I bet there are online guides. Lots of standing on one leg, jumping 180 degrees, squats, etc.

I also do the exercise in this NY Times article, "How to fix bad ankles." (Watch the video). It's basically balancing on one foot.
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/how-to-fix-bad-ankles/

The cool stuff about the exercises (except maybe the bosu) are that you can just do them while watching tv at night, or in your cube if you are bored, etc.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As part of my warm up before I do weights I do a 400m sprint on the treadmill followed by 50 full depth squats, do this 4 times, no break in between. If you do squats well you should be engaging your abs as is the case with most exercises. I also do body combat classes and lots of weights with medium weight and medium reps. Again, any weights that you do should engage your abs if done well. I've got a great routine for abs but not sure how to describe it?

If you lie on your side (with both legs straight out) and bring the arm on that side under your shoulder and basically do a bridge, holding your side up and holding the other arm up straight above you trying to touch the sky. Once you get to 30 seconds, raise the top leg keeping your heal to the sky and hold for 30 seconds, now before letting go, turn over and do a one arm bridge for 30 seconds, keeping your hips lined up. Now repeat for the other side and then do the whole routine 3 - 4 times. You can also do normal bridge work balancing on your elbows.

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've also heard although I don't know if it is true that learning to dance can help you with getting quick feet.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A bongo board? I don't personally have one, but used to toy around with one at my grandparents house.

I found just a lot of different exercises to always keep your body confused as to what might be next. My preference is DVDs because I'm just not good enough to put something together on my own.

Good luck!

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of functional movement training. Especially for athletes of your age. It strengthens all the joint complexes, starting at the ankles and working up the kinetic chain. Strengthening the connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and smaller muscles. All prior to working on your larger muscles. A big stride towards injury prevention. You want to look for and build an excersize program that continually works on keeping your muscles/functional movement balanced, rather than focusing building strength in a specific body part or muscle. The functional movement approach also extends your balance in directions & ways you would never think of. It can be pretty crazy. One of the Divas , Evaino, I think is a professional trainer ? and seems this is a similar approach she takes from her posts I've read . Depending on your area, you may find some great summer rec programs that offer this type of approach and can join a class.

Someone mentioned dance. Lots of potential fun, social interaction, cultural learning, overall athletic development to be had there. Ballerinas are like the ultimate athlete IMHO. Multitude of choices to play with. Check the web for Aspen ski school, they had a video library on training last year. I reviewed it and it was pretty solid.

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
Wow - you guys sure know your stuff! I'm excited to watch some videos on the Aspen site InTheClouds mentioned!
Also, do you guys think that yoga would be helpful for balance?
I've always wanted to take a yoga class for fun, but i've been thinking that it would probably improve both my balance and posture too...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm a big fan of functional movement training. Especially for athletes of your age. It strengthens all the joint complexes, starting at the ankles and working up the kinetic chain. Strengthening the connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and smaller muscles. All prior to working on your larger muscles. A big stride towards injury prevention. You want to look for and build an excersize program that continually works on keeping your muscles/functional movement balanced, rather than focusing building strength in a specific body part or muscle. The functional movement approach also extends your balance in directions & ways you would never think of. It can be pretty crazy. One of the Divas , Evaino, I think is a professional trainer ? and seems this is a similar approach she takes from her posts I've read . Depending on your area, you may find some great summer rec programs that offer this type of approach and can join a class.

Someone mentioned dance. Lots of potential fun, social interaction, cultural learning, overall athletic development to be had there. Ballerinas are like the ultimate athlete IMHO. Multitude of choices to play with. Check the web for Aspen ski school, they had a video library on training last year. I reviewed it and it was pretty solid.

Triple thumbs up. DH and I have been doing functional fitness classes at our local PT joint since October, and it the results are awesome. They combine balance, core, plyometrics, cardio and weights just to name a few of the techniques combined.

Single leg dead lifts are another good one, as are single leg balance backwards and sideways.

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
Check the web for Aspen ski school, they had a video library on training last year. I reviewed it and it was pretty solid.

Hmm. sounds good, but i'm having trouble finding Aspen ski school on the web. i just keep getting results for ski trips in aspen. Do you have a link for the site? :p

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
thanks geargrrl! That site looks like it has a lot of exercises... if only I knew the scientific terms for muscles like they use!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow - you guys sure know your stuff! I'm excited to watch some videos on the Aspen site InTheClouds mentioned!
Also, do you guys think that yoga would be helpful for balance?
I've always wanted to take a yoga class for fun, but i've been thinking that it would probably improve both my balance and posture too...

Yoga will definitely help with balance, and with core muscles. And I would think your posture would benefit, too, as long as you have a yoga instructor that makes sure you're doing the poses correctly.

I've been going to a studio for three years now, and the instructor there is very good at making sure we're in the proper position, with cues about where the head and shoulders should be, which way your hips should be facing, etc.

The gym I go to just added a yoga class at no extra charge, so I added that to my schedule. That instructor would not be good for me if I was just beginning, because she gives no cues whatsoever.

Enjoy your summer - I wish I still had them off! I have to wait until retirement age for that to happen again.

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
thanks so much!!
I have started doing the balance exercises, and i seem to be improving!
This is going to be a very exercise-orineted summer, i can tell!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally agree with Intheclouds - functional training is the way to go. But that doesn't typically mean standing on bosu balls. (Not saying don't do that - just that it's one of many tools and not necessarily a good first step). And yes, I am a professional trainer - at a sports therapy clinic, so I spend my days assessing people's movement abilities and limitations and creating custom training programs for them.

I just got out of an intensive two day golf fitness seminar, and if you're looking for balance, I'd suggest you check out the mytpi.com website. the TPI (Teitlist Performance Institute) has put together a complete movement screen for rotational athletes (skiers are rotational athletes although slightly differently so than golfers/tennis players/baseball players), as well as a full set of corrective exercises. You can access the exercise descriptions and videos on their website for free. Go to the exercise library and check out the corrective exercises for the single leg balance test.

The great thing about the TPI stuff is that it was created by a great team, including top chiropractors, physical therapists, and strength coaches.

Also - look at their stuff for training juniors. Their juniors training program is based on the Canadian Long Term Athletic Development model, which is a model that many countries are now following. I've found that with the teenagers I used to coach, many of them lacked some fundamental movement abilities (think skipping, jumping, kicking, throwing, rolling, climbing, shuffling) and so I started including them in our practices. There's a trend in the fitness industry to go back to some of these basics as part of our programming because fundamental movement is required for more advanced movement to be successful.

Good luck!

Elsbeth

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lucille, good to hear you are enjoying the balance exercises !

Lots of great advice given in this thread. Yoga does help with strength, balance, flexibility. And the advice Jenny gave about correct form is key.

Correct form in excersize is priority as I've learned. A break in form is a compensation and undermines what you are working towards.

Evaino - I love the philosophy, common sense approach of the Canadian youth athletic development program. 1st became aware of it from the Husky snow stars site. The info gives parents an appropriate perspective of youth development and expectations for sports/athletics. Now, if ALL parents understood this, youth sports would take on a whole new, nicer & fun orientation. Fun & challenging.

As a person who hates excersize and has refused to do any, I freely admit to falling in love with the contemporary approach of high quality athletic training. Way too fun & addicting.

A revealing story of the depth in thought and considerations towards approach/purpose of a training session. I walked in for my work out in a depressed mood because of politics and shenanigans being pulled in little league. The comment was "Well, that changes the days plan". An hour later after a bunch of fun, varied and challenging ball games, I was grinning ear to ear & feeling great. The explanation for the change to neuromuscular games approach was "Why tear you down building muscle when you need to be lifted up today ? " That depth of quality and thoughtfulness, skill, experience and knowledge brings me back for more!

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
that is a great website, evaino! thank you guys so much!
I have so many great new exercises/websites to sift through, i'm not quite sure which to tackle first - lately i've been doing a lot of jump roping and the balance exercises, but we'll see how the TPI workouts go.
I'll report back in a few days with my impressions of it!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Evaino - I love the philosophy, common sense approach of the Canadian youth athletic development program. 1st became aware of it from the Husky snow stars site. The info gives parents an appropriate perspective of youth development and expectations for sports/athletics. Now, if ALL parents understood this, youth sports would take on a whole new, nicer & fun orientation. Fun & challenging.

Or if all coaches understood this! I think very few coaches get that regardless of what sport they are training/teaching/coaching kids for, the training should be pretty similar: lots of fun and lots of different experiences. The trend toward single-sport athletes at a young age is troubling.

A revealing story of the depth in thought and considerations towards approach/purpose of a training session. I walked in for my work out in a depressed mood because of politics and shenanigans being pulled in little league. The comment was "Well, that changes the days plan". An hour later after a bunch of fun, varied and challenging ball games, I was grinning ear to ear & feeling great. The explanation for the change to neuromuscular games approach was "Why tear you down building muscle when you need to be lifted up today ? " That depth of quality and thoughtfulness, skill, experience and knowledge brings me back for more!

sounds like you have a good trainer!

Elsbeth

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna