• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Tecnica Attiva Flame

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa delivered these a few days early, they are very "PRETTY". Ok "pretty" was not a factor in my decission, just an added bonus. I knew my feet were high volume, but I was surprised to see they actually measured D/E (I was expecting around C/D), no wonder I have so many problems.

The boot were very comfortable in the shop, then I had custom footbeds made which made them quite snug. I actually insisted they remove some of material in the toe immediately. I didn't think it was enough, but the bootfitter wanted me to ski on them for 1/2 day before doing anything else (he said definitely not a full day). Is this normal?

I did ski them 2 days later, after a few runs and some slight buckle adjustments they were actually comfortable. I tried them on the softest flex setting with the power strap loose. I was amazed at the difference in how my skis felt underneath. I could feel the skis flex and I seemed to have more power in my abiliity to make the skis carve. My brother's comment to me was "you couldn't feel those turns before, could you?" The truth was "No, I couldn't, but I do now."

Initially, the flex felt softer than my X-Wave 8W, buy now I'm not so sure. I think the boot just flexes differently. 1.) It's a size smaller and therefore fits better 2.) It forms to my calf & ankle area better without pinching (the ankle buckle can be tightened without pinching the upper calf) 3.) The top of the boot is lower. These boots seem to be made for women with a wider fore foot and with lower/larger calfs. At the end of the day, I realized I was using different muscles.

At the end of 1/2 day #1 I was loving these boots, they only started to hurt when I had to walk around in them for about an hour (looking for lost kid who got meeting place confused). However, by the end of 1/2 day #2 I definitely had a blister from the stiching on the liner on one of my toes and tender spots on the insides of my feet (almost same spots on both sides). I already had plans to go back to the bootfitter (in fact he told me to) this week, I think the foot bed may need some tweeking. The blister concerns me, but I am sure the bootfitter should have a solution. I took a sharpie marker to my feet so I remember where the sore points are when I go tomorrow, and I tell my kids not to write on themselves, wait until they see my feet :smile:

I did try skiing without the footbeds on Day #2, it helped some of the pain, but not where the blister was and my foot just didn't feel in as much control. I will report again after meeting with the bootfitter, I have high hopes that we can resolve these issues.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a normal process.
My bootfitter had me go with a snug fit first then adjusted according to "hot spots"
You will find that your boots will be perfection once you get those/that hot spot(s) fixed.
Then you won't want to change boots for a long long time!

Glad you found your "happy feet"!

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went to see the bootfitter tonight after work. On Monday when my feet were still quite tender in my hot spots, I got the sharpie marker out and drew circles around each area. The guys at the shop got the biggest kick out of this. I had to show off my feet to a couple of the others in the shop. He was able to instantly identify what needed to be done.

He spent nearly 2 hours, grinding, shaping & tweaking my footbeds and the base insert in the bottom of the boot. He removed that excess material on the top of the liner that keeps the tong from getting out of place. The boots have much more wiggle room in the toes and the foot bed has a bit more give in the arch. In all they were very comfortable, even with my still tender feet and the blister on one toe (although this will probably still be a problem until it heals). So far all the adjustments have been minor and mostly with the footbeds.

He told me to absolutely keep my feet out of my boots until I ski again on Sat. - Let them heal up & pamper them. I'll report back after I ski them again.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just skiied on the "dialed in" boots. WOW!!! HAPPY FEET :smile:

It is amazing how the right boot can make all the difference. There may still be a few minor adjustments needed at the bootfitter, but the boots are awsome. I really love the fact that they are wide enough for my feet and not so tall they pinch my calfs.

With the buckles & the power strap just snug, there is a lot of flex. I have the flex adjustment set softer at the moment. Just by tightening the buckles 1/2 - 1 notch and tightening the power strap, they are a lot stiffer in the forward flex, which I like when going fast on the steep although, I do have to loosen them before going on the lift.

I am trying to get used to using the flex in my skiing, alot more than I ever used to. However, now that I am home everything but my feet hurt, my legs, my but, my arms and my shoulders. I only skiied 4 hours, but the runs were long and steep and conditions were all over the place. There were spots of soft fluff, hard ice patches, icy chuncky crud (like skiing on crushed ice cubes) to slush.

OT: My little guy was training in the gates today for the first time and looked awsome, but I'm the mom so what can I say.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If da feet ain't happy, then da diva ain't happy!

Glad you found a sweet spot for your feet:smile:

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiied again on the new boots on Monday - The feet were completely happy all day. So much so that I didn't even notice that I had been walking in them for 1/2 hour with all the buckles done up (never been able to do that).

I am still amazed at how just changing my boot, can make such a difference in my skiing. I'm not sure if it was that my last ones were 1 size too big, to tall for my calfs (causing poor fitting around my ankle), or just the boot itself OR all of the above that prevented me from feeling the flex in my skis. I kept thinking to my self, that I need a softer ski, I can't feel them flex into the turns, etc. Turns out I needed a new boot. I now feel every turn and feel the entire ski flex - it is VERY cool.

I LOVE THESE BOOTS - I'll have to stiffen up the flex and see how they feel.

Bootfitters, Bootfitters, Bootfitters, Bootfitters, Bootfitters, !!!!!

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out of interest, what size were your X Waves and what size are the Tecnicas? I'm booked for a bootfitting session as soon as we get to Courchevel in a few weeks and currently have the X Wave 8 in a 26 which is slightly too big (long toes). Obviously I'll let myself be guided, but there seem to be parallels between your situation and mine. I too have to be careful buckling the cuff of my X-waves to make sure they don't catch calf flesh - and that's with the catches on the loosest of the three adjustment holes. Looking at the Tecnica site, their boots seem to have a lot of capacity for adjustment and accommodate a wide range of foot volumes. Any thoughts?

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My X-waves are 24.5 and my Tecnicas are 23.5. The Tecnicas and even the Nordica SM that I tried fit so much better around the leg, absolutely no pinching. They are a little bit shorter and curved to make more room for the calf, which helps. The Nordica's had an adjustment that made the top back even wider (very cool).

Good luck with your bootfitting.:smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:bump: Just wanted to quick add my kudos to this boot as well. Mine are the ultra fit, not hot form. DH has the hot form and was advised by the ski shop NOT to have them plugged in-just ski 'em and let the forming happen as a result of body heat. Has worked for him. (similar/parallel model to women's)

Another superb out of the box fit for me, nary a pressure point. Still dialing in the micro-adjustments on the buckles a bit, but once that's done, I won't touch 'em again. This is a replacement for me for the Tecnica Rival X9L, which packed out. I sought some advice here and was steered to other brands. When a stellar deal on the Tec's came up, I couldn't resist ("who doesn't love a bargain?" :smile: ).

Besides being slightly lower in cuff height (maybe 2mm) with a distinct calf-cutout in the back, and a slightly shallower heel pocket, no discernible difference for me between the 2.

I threw in my insoles, put them on and went skiing. Done. Such a good fit that I am considering a discounted replacement pair for the inevitable pack-out some 50 ski days down the road. They'll be dated-looking by then, but OTOH - after more than 2 decades of boot fit issues (you don't want to know, and I don't want to remember), this boot (and the brand in general - my 4th Tecnica) has changed my ski day.
:yahoo:

Ditto on being able to walk around without touching a buckle. But all 4 of mine have been similarly compliant.

Not a good fit for everyone - what is? - but I wish all divas this level of bliss w/boots.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The lower calf made a world of difference for me. 2mm can seem like a foot when it hits in the wrong place.

I love my Attiva Flames. I have been thinking of ordering a new liner for when the old one packs out.

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
I just picked up a pair, so I'm glad to hear all the good reviews! Great idea with the sharpie, I plan on borrowing that one for sure. (Unless I have Maine Ski Lady's good luck and don't even need one!) :thumbsup:

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My new boots are Technica Attiva's as well, but the Moda4 <comfort fit for the newbie again!>...

I agree about the fit of the calf. As a woman with large calves, wow, they felt great. The first bootfitter tried me in a the Flame, but the boot cut into my shins, oddly enough.. and don't know if I require that low volume of a boot.
Everything else I tried either <with adjustments too> cut into my shins, pinched my instep, felt like buckets on my feet, or caused a "burning" feeling on the pads of my feet after hanging in them for awhile--even at the same size as the ones I bought!

The Technica Attiva seems like a well thought out product for woman. I checked out their website and read more about their design, and I can't wait to ski with these tomorrow! Actually it'll be an "all new gear" day!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You know the old saying: "If the shoe fits....." Even when someone is starting out, there is something that clicks when you put on a boot and it feels right. I have never been unhappy with my Tecnicas (until pack-out), and I'm on my 4th pair. I know others who have hated them. Feet vary SOOOO much. Have fun and let us know how it all worked out for you. Bottom line: when the time comes that you are "overskiing" these boots, you will be the first to know. Trust your instincts. They are wise.

I have these boots too (bought them last July from the '07 collection) and they work great for me! I have custom footbeds (smartfeet cork I think) and they were adjusted slightly by the bootfitter (Benny Wax of Stowe, VT) and I adore them. 23 days skiing so far this season and they're working out great.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Another Attiva Flame-with-cork-superfeet fan! We have lots in common, snwl! :smile: I will never get over my boots being a non-issue in my skiing. Wow. What a joy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga