• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Surfing Camp/Lessons

Amie H

Angel Diva
Last year for my birthday, I intended to take surfing lessons in Orange County, CA. The lessons were very reasonably priced but the lodging anywhere near where I needed to be each morning was outrageously expensive.

I'm thinking of trying again this year.

The NJ island I visit annually has a strong surf culture, but no lessons available this season after inquiring with a local surf shop.

Anyone have any experience with surf lessons/camp, particularly one that caters to mature clientele (not teens/kids?) I'm not 100% newbie but I haven't been on a board since the mid-2000s.

Even if I can't make it happen this year (due to planning my daughter's wedding,) I will put it on my to-do list for next season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also, Santa Cruz is on the ocean and a big surf city at that. I know there are surfing lessons at Cowell's Beach taught by a couple of surf schools around here. Not sure of the ages though TBH. It's a block or so from where I live so I can check it out for you..

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never surfed, but your question inspired me to look up "adult surf lessons." Quite a few came up, but I have to say, the Kalon all inclusive surf resort in Costa Rica looked a lot more appealing than the evening camps in Hull, MA or Scarborough, ME. Next I looked up "women's surf camp." If I were to try surfing, think I'd look into one of those more since I've enjoyed the vibe at the women's ski clinics I've done. Whenever it happens, I'm looking forward to your trip report!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my gosh, I went to a week long women's surf camp in Costa Rica in 2019 and I LOVED IT. I would have gone again by now if I didn't not travel at all for 2-3 years between then and now due to the pandemic.

I went with this company, at the Northern Coast Rica location, and I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for beginners / low intermediate / relaxed surfers:

I think the youngest woman on the trip was probably in her early 30s, and I think most women were in their 40s & 50s. I went alone, and did call them beforehand to get a sense of the usual vibe and make sure I wasn't going to end up, like, on a trip with someone else's bachelorette party. I'd say roughly half of the women my week traveled alone and the rest with one friend.

It was such a good experience, I really can't overstate it. I've done a few trips like this (traveling alone, going to some kind of camp or activity), and they've all been great. I think the kind of person that does something like that ends up being a bit of a self-selecting group that you're pretty likely to have a good time with.

Anyways, here are my pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eaCAqDoycnS8ikE99

In summary: absolutely please take yourself to surf camp, you will love it. :smile:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
p.s. The way I always end up on trips like this - surf camp, the Moab rafting trip we took last year - is I start googling cat or heli ski trips. Within a few minutes I am outraged that I have to switch planes twice and then drive 4 hours and pay 1k+ per day, and then end up booking some other trip that's 1/3 the price and still an absolute blast. This technique may or may not work for you. :smile:

Amie H

Angel Diva
Ahh, looks very cool, @RachelV ! I have a good friend who is a yoga instructor & water fan who would freak out at the chance to do this.Id enjoy the horseback riding.

I'm looking for something more in the 3-4 day range (over a long weekend) and around $1500-ish budget. Time is the bigger issue for me bc of the job & mother-inlaw.

I'm also more inclined toward something where I show up each day for the lessons, then leave to go do my own thing after. Not sure a live-in is totally my jam. Maybe "camp" was the wrong term for me to use.

(I mentioned Ireland bc my husband is an Irish citizen and he would be interested in joining me, but it's somewhat impractical right now.)

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Amie H For Simply's 8K you can come stay at my house for a week, and I'll take you surfing, more than '3 days' ;0 IMHO Learning to surf in warm water is much better, you don't have to deal with a restrictive wetsuit or getting cold.... for your price range I would do a quick trip to Honolulu. Orange County may have had cheap lessons, but your dealing with beach break, better to find a point break with longer waves. I know the owner of @RachelV 's camp from my competitive days, and I have heard great things about her camp. But any camp is well, going to be a camp and it doesn't seem like thats what you want.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Honolulu (Waikiki) great idea if right time of the year (waves, crowds)

Amie H

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl I should have been more clear in my 1st post, I think I assumed everyone knows I'm 1) frugal/budget-conscio8s and 2) have limited time for days off.

Ideally, I'd like to do something in NJ or NY(Long Island) or other East coast spot (NC?) in summer. The mid-Atlantic gets quite warm by Aug-September. It's a quick flight, and lodging would likely be more in my range (or free).When my sister & I took the boards out years ago, the water was delightful in NJ. Not sure how warm it gets in Massachusetts?

A "quick trip to Honolulu " from Chicago is an oxymoron. :wink: Plus jet lag, I suspect the Carrbean is closer for me.

BRIGsurf shop in Brigantine, NJ used to have a multi-day learn to surf camp (just a day camp) but the owner told me the instructor was "not reliable" so until he found another he was going to pause the lesson side of his business.

Something near Atlantic City is ideal,but Northern Jersey or Long Island (not the Hamptons) are appealing, too.

Maybe I just buy a board to leave at my mom's beach house and watch "how to" videos. I am a good swimmer so that aspect is covered.

Just need a long weekend to refresh the basics and get them down solid.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok I cross posted with you but.......On further thought @Amie H If you wanted cheap and close for you, with your $1,500 you could get yourself a really nice wetsuit and your own board and start paddling on a regular basis in Lake Michigan near your home town to maintain fitness then hit up Sheboygan a couple of times over the summer if you are able to monitor storms/swells. I would contact Lake Effect Surf Shop in Milwaukee and talk to them about what to look for regarding appropriate wetsuit/boards for freshwater. All you would need is a soft surf rack for your car. I know late summer/ fall is more consistent but you would be able to have a lot more experiences locally and be able to surf in the morning and have the rest of the day to yourself.........

when I have some more time I will PM you for video links etc. But I would see if you can get a private lesson from Lake Effects - it also looks like High 5 is another outfitter, but I don't know them, Lake Effects is legit, I rent from them when I go back home to visit. Its really getting in surf shape, which as a swimmer your part way there......

And for the money, you could have a foam board in Chicago and one at your moms, and take the soft surf rack with you......

Last edited:

Amie H

Angel Diva
ok I cross posted with you but.......On further thought @Amie H If you wanted cheap and close for you, with your $1,500 you could get yourself a really nice wetsuit and your own board and start paddling on a regular basis in Lake Michigan near your home town to maintain fitness then hit up Sheboygan a couple of times over the summer if you are able to monitor storms/swells. I would contact Lake Effect Surf Shop in Milwaukee and talk to them about what to look for regarding appropriate wetsuit/boards for freshwater. All you would need is a soft surf rack for your car. I know late summer/ fall is more consistent but you would be able to have a lot more experiences locally and be able to surf in the morning and have the rest of the day to yourself.........
That is a super idea I never considered. I have a roof rack for my car. There is a public beach I really like about forty five minutes from my office and I could go there after work on some days to paddle around like you mentioned.

Sheboygan is about 90 minutes from me, so easy to do on a weekend.

I will contact the surf shop next week!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Do they make wetsuits in short/petite lengths? I have a sleeveless shortie from when I used to triathlon that still fits but not much help in cool water.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl my dad has a Chevy Silverado that he drives on the beach, so transporting a board to the beach is not an issue in NJ. That is one of the cool things about Brigantine: with a special permit, you can drive on certain sections of beach w a 4X4 and they provide air pump stations to reinflate tires. He & my mom love doing that (she struggles to walk in the sand.)

My friend & I were watching some kids riding the remnants of a crazy storm there last September in Abseacon Inlet:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do they make wetsuits in short/petite lengths? I have a sleeveless shortie from when I used to triathlon that still fits but not much help in cool water.
@Amie H There's been a lot of ups and downs in the women's wetsuit production, its a loss leader for most companies b/c men are the majority of consumers. The trend for most suits is "front zip" or over the shoulder, which you have to crawl into. I prefer a back zip for several reasons so that limits me. We have always been part of the O'Neill family and even though I get suits at cost I have been disappointed with their high end offerings over the past few years as they stopped producing my favorite $500 backzip suit. During the pandemic offerings were slim also and its just now that things are getting back to the old normal. One of the few companies that makes extended Short and Tall sizes is Xcel. https://xcelwetsuits.com/collections/fullsuit I actually have been quite happy with the Axis back zip, even at a entry price point Xcel's neoprene is so much better than any other brand. The Axis X and the Axis are actually different fits, good price points great neoprene, you might want to try both in the same size. O'Neill makes some ok entry level suits the Epic https://us.oneill.com/products/4213-a05-wms-epic-3-2?refSrc=2035418824773&nosto=productpage-nosto-2 would be comparable to the Axis, but seems harder to find in the extended sizes. O'Neill makes some other 3/2s like the Bahia (not warm- but useful 4 early morning summer) which are cheaper so make sure you look at the seams and if they are glued and taped to keep water out. Roxy's neoprene on the entry level suits is so much stiffer than Xcel or O'Neill, my only option during the pandemic and while the suits are warm, they are a chore to paddle in. For summer you will probably want a 3/2 as an all around thickness. I know Lake Michigan can get up to 70 in the summer, but factoring in wind etc. I would go with a 3/2. Booties and and Hood will add to the warmth. So many bootie choices, its personal and you will need to try on and decide if you are a split toe round toe or ? kind of a gal. But for hoods I like this https://us.oneill.com/collections/mens-boots-hoods-gloves/products/copy-of-2mm-sport-cap. I found this article from Clean line which was interesting to see how they felt the different manufactures fit https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/blogs...fvxcrF_afhYJrSAut2qXTa9ePNAtfdPQaAp_XEALw_wcB

You should be able to source the suits from several sites that allow returns, REI, EVO etc. I would see what the Surf Shops reccomends for thickness and take into account if you run cold or hot. See if you could rent or try on suits at Lake Effect, but even as I am located in the heart of California Surf I find stores not to stock or run out of a lot of womens sizes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna