• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winterizing Your Vehicle

It's getting to be about that time to start thinking about winter vehicle prep. I have had my jeep for over a year now so ready to get serious about winterizing my baby.

I would like to get some great winter windshield wipers, heard Bosch made some good ones. Want to try to install them myself, perhaps find a you tube video to learn. Would love some recommendations on wiper blade models, etc.

I am buying snow tires in 2 weeks. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs which can be studded if necessary. Need to buy a sturdy bike lock to secure my back spare tire from theft.

I was wondering what everyone does to their vehicles to ready them for ski season/winter.

So glad Sumner is over, winters coming yay.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I drive it? lol I guess I've never lived far enough north that this is a thing. We just have all-weather tires.

Oh wait! Eventually we'll swap out the Rain-X bug goo wiper fluid for their de-icing formula!

Jilly

Staff member
1. 4 wheel drive/all wheel, winter tires for sure
2. Winter blades - yes!! I just buy the winter rated ones at Canadian Tire. I'm sure there is a house brand like it in the states with an automotive store. I replace all 3 of mine.
3. Wiper fluid - make sure it won't freeze. Check the temperature rating.
4. Change batteries in flashlight, charge up the "million candle" light.
5. Snow brush condition...check and/or replace. Same with scraper.
6. Emergency kit - blanket, candle, granola bars, collapsible glass and small shovel. I drive a 2 lane highway that's not bad, but it's not the 401 for sure.
7. Windshield cover for ice storms.

Think that's it. Haven't started on this yet except the windshield cover since they were at Costco.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Pretty much same as @Jilly above:
Super-wax. (Not many car wash options out here.)
Winter wipers, 3 (rear window).
2 gallons winter washer fluid stashed.
Emergency kit including solar blanket, water, wood matches, batteries.
Flares.
Shovel.
Blankets, old carpets (for emergency traction).
Heavy tow rope with hook.
Studded winter snow tires go on around 11/15.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only thing I typically do is to switch from all-seasons to winter tires. It's not time to do that yet.

But I hear such good things about winter wiper blades - I might get some of those to switch in when I mount the tires.

Jilly

Staff member
Actually I still have last winter's on. They get "cooked" over the summer though, so it will soon be time to replace. Snowsurfgirl - changing blades isn't hard. There might be something in your owner's manual and there is definitely something on the packaging of the blades.

alicie

Angel Diva
Winter tyres will get put on in a week or two.
Neat screen wash rather than half dilute.
De-icer
Gloves (for deicing)
Ice scraper (it's two feet long has a brush one end and scraper the other)
The snow brush (soft sweeper brush, like a normal one)
Snow chains (hope I never have to put them on as the instructions are in Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish, I really should figure it out at some point)
Inside of old carpet I've got these flexible plastic things (we had no old carpet when so I got them)
Water bottles, chewy bars, blankets, there is always a head torch, hat, scarf, if I'm going anywhere over half an hour away I put my ski jacket and salopettes in (I usually just wear a hoodie, tshirt and shorts all year)
Two shovels, one that goes into three parts and a wee aa metal shovel

The boot tends to be half full during the winter.

Wiper blades are usually easy to change. Mine just have a thing you flick up and slide the thing out and then slide the new one in and flick the clip back down.

Jilly

Staff member
We used to be allowed studs, but they were doing too much damage to the roads. So...no. And chains...not happening here. The biggest problem is people who do not slow down and drive to the conditions.

Is it time yet to put on the snows??

altagirl

Staff member
Not much other than adding in my winter emergency kit/brush/etc. I use all season tires year round here - With good AWD, it's generally plenty. Studded tires aren't allowed here either. And wiper blades are easy to change, but I tend to have good winter-capable ones year round and just replace them when they stop working well, rather than seasonally.

Thanks everyone. I have most things covered I guess. I have the usual stuff in the back of my Jeep, bruch, scraper, towels, emergency kit, not there yet but will be by november. Just need to switch over the window wash fluid, throw some rainx on the window. I will replace the wipers myself, seems like it would be easy. I think all I will need my car guy to do is change my oil next visit.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will replace the wipers myself, seems like it would be easy.

It is easy, but also, every time I've bought wipers at an automotive supply store, they've been more than happy to take a minute to install them for me.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My car's low tire pressure light came on this AM b/c of the cooler temps. So I guess I'll be adding "add air to tires" to my very short winterizing list.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing you might want to keep in your car is de-icing spray. I don't have a garage, so I have to scrape ice off my windshield every morning. This stuff is a godsend; you just spray it on the windshield (and the other windows, too) and the ice (mostly) dissolves. Saves a lot of time and effort.

MissySki

Angel Diva
  • Snow tires will be put on
  • I keep a collapsible shovel in my trunk (Cannot count the times I've had to shovel tracks out of my work parking lot where the plow piles it in from the road)
  • Snow brush
  • I only really add blankets/gloves/food/water if I know there is a storm I'll be braving to/from work which can end up being hours each way when it happens.
  • Plenty of windshield wiper fluid
  • I have Bosche winter wipers which work nicely against ice and snow because they are thicker than normal wipers. DH changes them out, but I don't think it's too difficult for you to figure out yourself.
  • I also had to add air to my tires last year, pressure sensors haven't come on for me yet this year.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Not a bad idea to stash one of those emergency cell phone battery back-ups --- cell phone batteries can quit on a dime...

Great suggestions everyone; thank you. I have a nice list going. I carry an external charger in my purse since cell phone batteries don't last long these days. Also the center console of my Jeep charges without my Jeep having to be on which doesn't help me if the battery is dead but its a nice option to have.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty much the same as everyone else here. I make sure an old sleeping bag is in the car and swap for winter washer fluid, not much else. I change wiper blades as required and mine are still fine. I keep my search & rescue gear in the car so switching that to my winter pack will take care of the shovel and extra clothes, and I keep an emergency kit year-round. I've been using my scraper daily for almost a month already, so it's there! Legally winter tires are required Oct 1 here...guess I better think about getting them on!

Bought my snow tires. They are Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They are studdable but I won't need to do that but its nice to have the option. Holy tread, mud, need mud or even better snow!!!!!! Can't wait to put my Wrangler in 4x4 and hit the road!!!

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm moving to Utah in two weeks and getting ready to buy my first set of snows for the Accord. I'm looking on TireRack and there are snow then snow and ice tires. Differences or just marketing?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not a bad idea to stash one of those emergency cell phone battery back-ups --- cell phone batteries can quit on a dime...
Just don't stash a battery in the car where it'll run down and/or lose charge in the cold. My spare phone battery lives in a pocket in my purse, and about once a week I let the one in the phone go dead, recharge it, and switch batteries so the spare is always charged. During ski season the battery went into my boot bag, and if I left the bag outside the battery went into an inside jacket pocket.

External battery packs go for as little as $10-$15 on Amazon; just be sure to keep them charged and fully discharge & recharge them every month or so if you're really depending on them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna