• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Fitness

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
~Women's Quest had a great learn to skate program in Colorado and I must say SKATE skiing is one heck of a workout. I got a Rossignol skate and boot set up last year from outdoor DIVAS and I am hooked. I love it b/c you can go for 1hr and get a great workout plus the ticket prices is much less $15-$20dollars a day. Most places have dog loops as well!

What is skate skiing? same thing as XC Skiing? :confused:

altagirl

Staff member

So there are two main types of XC skiing.

You have classic XC skiing, which is like ski touring. Except you don't have skins, you have a pattern on the base of the ski that looks like fish scales and lets it slide foward but not backwards when it's weighted. So you basically just walk (kick and glide) with the skis parallel to each other. It's great because you can go forever.

Then you have skate skiing, which has skis that are smooth on the bottom. The boots and bindings are also designed to be stiffer so you can push out to gain speed. The movement is like ice skating. And it's really high energy to keep going. You're either working your butt off to keep moving... or not going anywhere. So it's a killer workout. :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Then you have skate skiing, which has skis that are smooth on the bottom. The boots and bindings are also designed to be stiffer so you can push out to gain speed. The movement is like ice skating. And it's really high energy to keep going. You're either working your butt off to keep moving... or not going anywhere. So it's a killer workout. :smile:

I SO want to do this this winter.

abc

Banned
Renting ski is the easy part, finding snow is much harder.

Skate-skiing needs a wide groom "lane" to skate on. But if it doesn't snow EXACTLY at the resort, you don't have much options. You ]can't just go 2 miles up the mountain, like traditional x-c skiers, to the woods where the snow is. Well, unless you bring your own groomer with you in the truck! So regardless, it's largely either a competitive sport or an exercise, since you can't really do that in the back country anyway.

I started working on skating some years back. But the un-reliable snow was just too much for me. In the end, I gave up and revert back to just skiing traditional, and focus in the back country touring aspect of it. That is now slowly morphing into telemark, which at least I can pratice on in the downhill resorts.

It's a great workout, and a great teaching tool for all other forms of skiing too. (Try skating on your alpine skis and see how long you can hold the "glide" phase, ON EACH SKI!) It's great fun when you get it right (can be effortless too when done right). But unfortunately only pratical for those living in the more snow-sure part of the country.

altagirl

Staff member
We're lucky - in UT - you can just drive up to Park City and they groom miles and miles of track that are free/public access. The grooming usually isn't perfect, but hey - it's free. Or in SLC you can pay like $2.25 go to up Millcreek and they groom that - but it's all uphill... If you want better grooming you can pay to use the groomed tracks at any number of places. Most of the resorts also have some sort of groomed XC track.

outdoor divas

Certified Ski Diva
skate sking

Skate skiing is a form of xc sking. More of a fluid motion almost like ice skating with skis on. You work your arms, core and legs a lot more then "classic" xc sking. The euipment is/look very similar except the skis are designed to glide out as aposed to the straight-walking motion of classic xc.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoeing is also a great winter fitness sport I've gotten into......think inner thigh burn in a good way.

It's funny - my husband and I were snowshoeing fanatics when we first met. After a few times seeing backcountry skiers skiing fresh pow where we were snowshoeing, we decided it was crazy to hike all the way up without having skis on! Hence, the reason we got into backcountry skiing. :smile:

skiguide

Diva in Training
I started working on skating some years back. But the un-reliable snow was just too much for me. .

that's why you get rollerskis by Jenex (or similar) to train on in the summer/dry days:smile:

while it's true you can just go out and make your own path with some XC skis, a nicely groomed double track (side by side tracks just barely wider than your feet/about 2-3" deep) is also much better for really kickass classical skiing. Once that puppy freezes over, and you're on a huge downhill -that's way scarier than anything you can do on alpine skis. You're trucking along, free heel, on skinny skis!

other key difference in classical vs skating is pole length. For skating, you need taller poles - that come up to your chin/cheek - that way, you can get the most extension/power out of your poling in a V1 or V2.

For classical XC, particularly if you're more of a walker than a glider, you really only need armpit height or slightly shorter poles.

hmm.. i should put together a list of my favorite (groomed) places for XC skiing... mostly in the northeast, but I have a few western places i like too.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be jogging, swimming, and x-c skiing once the snow flies. My local community center also puts on classes such as pilates, yoga, kickboxing, and aerobics. I'm currently trying to join my local volunteer fire department- the physical fitness test isn't as tough as the one for career firefighters, but still involves being in pretty good shape.

abc

Banned
that's why you get rollerskis by Jenex (or similar) to train on in the summer/dry days
I ski to stay in shape throughtout the winter so I'm in good shape to start the summer cycling season.

Not to spend summer "training" for skiing. :p

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski to stay in shape throughtout the winter so I'm in good shape to start the summer cycling season.

Not to spend summer "training" for skiing. :p

hahaha I had to smirk when I read this. That is so true about you!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the 08-09 ski season is officially on for me, with 3 days hosting and 2 of these skiing nice, easy groomers and it feels good. Can't wait for the snows to really start laying it down.

Last season, I was really disappointed in my skiing. Though a great season, I felt less confident in my skiing than ever before and I attribute some of this to the aging process (yikes) and loss of some fitness as the winter progressed.

So, inspired by the book Younger Next Year (I met one of the authors--he's awesome), I committed to a regime of weight lifting, amping up my running, buying a bike and riding the 20 miles to work when possible (and riding to the liquor store, my parents, and errands and weight class as much as feasible). And I got a skiers edge off of ebay, for short stints between laundry loads, etc., just to spice it all up.

Then, to feed on this craziness, I entered the Moab 10K, which is next Saturday. Ugh, I've been struggling to run my long runs and my old osteo-arthritic knees get cranky about mile 4. But today, I just finished my last long training run and ran 6.5 in just over an hour!!!! And my knees and legs held up pretty well. It's all about pacing---slow the first half, amp it up the last half. But the first and last miles are really hard.

Anyway, in short, I'm hoping all of this translates into stronger skiing this year for me.

I'll report on the Moab 10K next week, my goal is to finish and not walk any parts of it. Not too ambitious.

altagirl

Staff member
So how is everyone doing with their winter fitness plans?

I just started skiing this past weekend, and felt really good skiing. My lower calves/ankles weren't super happy to be in ski boots again, but I didn't have any muscle soreness. And I felt like I was skiing pretty well - my biggest issues were more around worrying about the sticks and rocks poking out of the snowpack.

I'm definitely getting my fill of exercise lately though, between speed skating, cardio and weights. And I can't wait to try my new AT gear, or for it to snow enough that I can go XC skiing! I am a little worried about being so tired from everything else that my legs are always tired. But I guess we'll see how it goes and modify as necessary.

How is everyone elses transition to winter fitness going?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl, I know what you mean about find a balance. It's tough for me to get everything in at times and I have to reign in my coach who doesn't quite understand my love of skiing. :laugh: Sounds like things are going great for you!

I was sidelined for a couple of weeks with a nasty cold but finally ran again last night. I stepped on the scale before hand with trepidation since I had done but 2 workouts in 2 weeks (outside of skiing) and was shocked to find I'd lost another 4 pounds. :noidea: Not that I'm complaining but what the heck? :p

My run last night felt surprisingly good once I got through the very odd skin reaction I seem to have if I haven't been running for awhile. I start itching uncontrollably and it makes me miserable. I nearly stopped and actually did pause a couple of times just to scratch but eventually my body settled in and I was able to continue. I had planned to swim afterward but the run really wiped me out after being off for so long so I put that off until tomorrow. Tonight is spin class where my coach will kick my *ss most assuredly.

One thing I found during my down time is that my workouts have become a huge stress relief for me. I didn't realize how much so until I didn't have it nearly every day. Guess that is a good thing, it helps keep me motivated to go. And, oddly, I have never been a lover of running but now I'm starting to enjoy the zen of running. I think I'm going to enter the Jingle Bell 5k on Sunday. :eyebrows:

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
running, weights and flow yoga. I tend to do lots of running during my lunch break while it is light. If I miss the lunch run, I run with a headlamp around the local golf course. It is better than nothing!

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing I found during my down time is that my workouts have become a huge stress relief for me. I didn't realize how much so until I didn't have it nearly every day. Guess that is a good thing, it helps keep me motivated to go. And, oddly, I have never been a lover of running but now I'm starting to enjoy the zen of running. I think I'm going to enter the Jingle Bell 5k on Sunday. :eyebrows:

I definitely got into the zen of running last winter when trying to get back into shape, but then I hurt my IT band :-(. Still haven't been able to get back to where I was in terms of running without my knee bothering me, which is such a bummer because it had become such a release for me to do that every day. I hate the eliptical machine!!

tahoe girl

Diva in Training
Snowshoeing is great--I use it as a substitute for running when the snow is fresh on the weekends. I ski a mid-week pass so need something fun for the weekend when the masses are out on the slopes.

~tahoe girl

abc

Banned
:( :( :(

Nothing! I hadn't done any exercise! No time due to busy work schedule (including weekend work). Add to that I'm moving apartment so got stuck packing boxes instead of out biking (not enough snow for my taste as far as skiing goes)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga