• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wider skis? Suggestions?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious about wider skis, and would like to try some this season. My current skis (Dynastar Idyll) are 78 at the waist. Love them, no plans to replace them. Advancing Intermediate, but by no means advanced. I can safely pick my way down most hills in control, including some double blacks, but it's painfully ugly and slow at times. I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of a wider ski, but curiosity is getting the better of me. :smile: Skis, like shoes, are apparently a weakness for me. Whoops! If anyone has suggestions that wouldn't be overwhelming for my ability level, I'd love the suggestions!

Sent from my SGH-i667 using Board Express

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. :smile: Skis, like shoes, are apparently a weakness for me.
Boy can I relate!
How wide were you thinking? I assume you're planning to demo...
I think we're at about the same skill level, I do great on my Rossi S3Ws (98 underfoot).
Maybe I'm getting cocky, but I'm starting to think I may be ready to try some full blown powder skis too, probably easier on actual powder...
My point is, there are probably a lot of fatter skis that we would be able to handle. :wink:
So try lots and let me know what you like.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
East. When I finally make it out west, I just plan to rent.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Celestron (sorry can't seem to quote on my phone, hrm), I have no idea on width honestly. This is not a well thought out plan. Lol :smile: Is 98 overkill for the east? My thought is I'd potentially like a 2nd wider pair for spring conditions (aka all of last season). But that's as far as my thinking has gone. That and "Oh, pretty!!!!"

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... east coast Divas will have to way in on whether 98 is overkill for your conditions.
I would think not as they actually handle hardpack fairly well, they are great on variable conditions, on crud and stuff, and I think also if you wanted to try skiing of Piste. I used mine mainly for spring skiing last year as there wasn't much in the way of powder.... :cry: and I have yet to do much off Piste.
In this general category I would also check out the, much loved by Divas, Black Pearls...

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wha? Black Pearls? Missy? :P But in all seriousness are black pearls forgiving?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think they are very forgiving and they are great in so many different conditions. I haven't skied any of my other skis since I got them because they are better than my others in every condition... Oh and I'm pretty sure they got #1 for east coast mixed snow in Ski magazine this year :smile:. If you are going to demo, might as well try if they are available. I also cannot even tell how wide they are, they turn so easy, you just get the added stability.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish there were more places to demo locally. :/

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yikes! The shortest black pearl is taller than me by 7 cm. Haha

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I concur with the rossi S3 suggestion. I've had a pair for 3 seasons and they are super versatile, fun, and forgiving. They rail groomers and float well in moderately deep pow.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ready, are they short? ;)

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking about getting a pair of S3's mainly just because they are fun to ski and a bit more forgiving than the Kenjas so if I feel like taking it easy one day, those would be a great option. I skied them last year while I was on vacation, and granted that was out West, but they turned so easy and for as rockered as they are, I felt like they had decent edge grip. Does that make sense? Keep in mind, that they do ski shorter than the advertised length because of the rocker. Also, if you didn't want to go all the way up to a 96mm underfoot, Rossi has the new Sassy 7 this year and that's a 90mm underfoot.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
European skier here-so familiar with less than favourable conditions. I graduated from 78mm day to day skis to 87mm Kenjas last year, but I also have a pair of Nordica Nemesis 98mm underfoot which were fine on piste, and my favoured ski for most of last season's trips-admittedly with the excellent snow we had.

In testing skis, which we have done for the last 3 years, my impression is that, in the 80-100mm category, the width can feel very different. Don't assume that the fatter the ski the harder they are to turn or ski generally. Wide skis can turn soooo easily-sometimes they just click with you. I fell for another Nordica ski last year, but so far resisted purchase (see earlier post). Mad twin tips (the Soul Rider), but I loved how easily they turned on the piste. Maybe they just suited my (rather average) technique. But sometimes "fat"skis just don't feel fat.

Hoping to go testing in Mid November-Zermatt-woo hoo!- so then I will report back about my latest passion. There is bound to be one!
I am such a ski tart!!:eyebrows:

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
S3Ws come in 159 and 168 and reccomended sizing is based on weight rather than height, keep in mind they are 50% rocker, so they ski much shorter than they look. I'm 5'7", 140 Lbs and on the 168 length.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah...Ready was supposed to say Trady. Sorry. Phone auto-correct fail.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll have to check out the Rossi s3. Although, the thought of skis taller than me is a bit intimidating. Doesn't help I barely weigh 90 lbs too. I see the Dynastar Eden comes in a 152.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may have missed this, but how tall are you? I have the 178s and they still ski short due to the tail and tip rockers (I'm 5'9"). Honestly though, I wouldn't recommend these if you aren't planning on skiing some off-piste - there are probably better groomer/mogul skis out there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga