• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
From what I understand, a big issue here is the labour, and keeping employees on. Louise goes until the first weekend in may and sunshine until the 3rd weekend in May. There have been snow years when Sunshine could stay open until late June, but they don’t because their employees’ contracts are up. And many of those employees don’t stay because they are continuing their seasons and have new contracts in Australia or New Zealand - this Holds true for the aussies, kiwis and canucks.

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
Went on closing day at Crystal Mountain last year and they were pretty much out of most food. Mid-mountain lodge had burger patties on a dry bun with a side of Tims jalapeño chips because that’s all that was left. Similar in the bar at the base. I’ve been told when it’s too nice at sea level and the kids are all in baseball and yard work needs done people don’t come up to ski. Though I saw so many complaints on their Facebook page and have heard stories of people skiing on the 4th of July during the day and then heading out for fireworks at night on their boats. Bummed it looks like there’s only 3 weekends left for the skis I just bought yesterday.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that all this recent snow means WP will extend their season - in the past they've kept the Mary Jane lifts running if they still had good coverage.

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
@Cascadia Crystal has 4 more weekends! Closing date, April 22, unless they extend.
I saw that. I’m crossing my fingers but the calendar called it “extended ops” which makes me wonder if they’ll limit it to gondola/green valley. I just jumped up to the blues off Forest Queen last weekend... FINALLY! Took 6 years of snowboarding and 4 years of skiing to get off Queens run and it was amazing!

Live4Powder

Certified Ski Diva
Here in Summit County, CO the ski resorts all close in April. Breck stays open until April 22 this year but only two of the five peaks are open. Peaks 6, 9 and 10 close around the 15th. Copper closes the 15th and Keystone closes April 8 because it's on national forest land and must accommodate the elk migration that goes through there in April.

A Basin is the real standout in that it opened in mid October and stays open until June 3. Last May when we got a foot of snow it was the only game in town as it was open until June 11.

It's already slowing down as spring break winds to a close and unfortunately it's been warm and without any significant snow for weeks here so I'm wondering if we're going to last another 20 days here at Breck. I'm already starting to refer to the loading ramps at the lifts as "the swamp" as temps in the 50s have turned them into mounds of slush and due to the high winds the really good areas on the upper mountain are closed because we can't run the lifts in high winds.

Plus a lot of people are leaving for their summer jobs. I myself am leaving 5 days early to head to summer location at Crater Lake, Oregon and since they got a lot more snow in Crater Lake then we have here in Colorado I'm hoping to so some snowshoeing and I'll definitely be shoveling snow at my new job.

Meanwhile most of Colorado is dry and has been for weeks. I've given up skiing myself and am getting set to go on a hike in 60 degree weather later this week.

Hopefully next winter will be kinder with regards to snow. Never really got to experience a real powder day all season.

newboots

Angel Diva
Enjoy the hiking! We did have a few great days in Vermont, but also the usual thaw-rain-freeze thing that goes on.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Cataloochee, North Carolina has the best snowmaking of anywhere I've ever seen, so even in the 60 and 70 degree days in February they redistributed the snow to make every day good! Normally, because of water supply, they are not allowed to make snow after February ends, but because of the absurdly warm Feb weather, that was extended to March 10th this year. And they got natural snow with the Nor'easters! I skied March 20th, 23rd and 28th on good conditions. The first year with the new snowmaking, they stayed open until April 11th, but as divas mentioned above, the golf courses were open, folks in Georgia and Florida had moved onto warmer sports and only passholders were still coming to ski. There, too, latino folks with visas had gone home to their countries as they did before the end of season this year. The slopes closed for the season Saturday, allowing employees to enjoy the holiday with their families Sunday. Such is life... : (

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna