• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
In a nutshell, diminishing revenue and the high cost of doing business.

I've hard that when there's no snow in the backyards in Connecticut, people stop coming to ski in Vermont. I'm sure it's the same in other locations, too.

There's a good article on this topic in the Reno Gazette Journal. Go here.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this is exactly what I understand about Schweitzer--it gets warm in town and people stop thinking about skiing and start thinking about other outdoor activities. They did extend our season by a week this year, but that's gonna be it, despite the fact we'll still have a deep base then. Some people will hike in as long as the snow lasts, but I'm not that energetic (or that well versed in avalanches or appropriately outfitted).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tim Cohee has been around for years .. and is very knowledgeable. What he didn't mention is much of the land is US Forest Service and I have heard some ski resorts cannot operate past a certain date.
Also many employees are from South America and their visas are only good for for so long.. Tahoe is also an outstanding summer area with water sports, excellent hiking, mountain biking so there's that.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Around here most places close the weekend after Easter (or the weekend of if it's really late). They could extend the season, but since people from the closest major cities to us won't have been planning to come, they'll be mostly staying open for locals, who are the ones with paid off season's passes that bring their own lunch. Also, the cost of insurance extensions and extending the employment of overseas workers (mostly Aussies here) is high.

newboots

Angel Diva
I read that Bromley has to close when the bears emerge from hibernation! Maybe others, too?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I read that Bromley has to close when the bears emerge from hibernation! Maybe others, too?

This doesn't surprise me. The Jackson Gore area at Okemo can't open for the season until the bears go in for hibernation. Usually that's the first or second week of December.

mustski

Angel Diva
I also have heard it's related to bears awakening. Mammoth always stays open as long as possible. And yes, much of the really challenging terrain is negotiable to mere mortals on that nice, slow spring snow!

newboots

Angel Diva
Wasn't it Mammoth that was open last year on the Fourth of July? (I've never been to any ski resorts out West, so I may have them mixed up.) It was a great snow year out there somewhere!

We had 3 storms in March and, at least up until today, we have terrific conditions here in Vermont. It's getting warm, so the snow will get softer and heavier, but it has been just about perfect! I'm icing my knees . . .

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I also have heard it's related to bears awakening. Mammoth always stays open as long as possible. And yes, much of the really challenging terrain is negotiable to mere mortals on that nice, slow spring snow!
Yeah we've skied Gunbarrel (face) of Heavenly in late spring with huge soft bumps...... in winter, another story altogether.

newboots

Angel Diva
not so sure about that. Not that good at skiing backwards (as in back away from bear, do not run away)

Now, I am just fooling around. Please don't take anything I write as advice for the wilderness! I am goofy this evening.

But think about this: black bears can run up to 40 mph, and grizzlies up to 30 mph.* But if one is coming after me on a ski slope, I'm not going to try to back away. If I have to, I know I can ski faster than that. Facing downhill!

In real life, my plan is to avoid skiing with bears.

*https://wildernessmastery.com/outdoors/how-fast-do-bears-run.html

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wasn't it Mammoth that was open last year on the Fourth of July? (I've never been to any ski resorts out West, so I may have them mixed up.) It was a great snow year out there somewhere!

We had 3 storms in March and, at least up until today, we have terrific conditions here in Vermont. It's getting warm, so the snow will get softer and heavier, but it has been just about perfect! I'm icing my knees . . .

Last year Mammoth had a great year. I skied w/the S. Cal Divas on July 23 and 24th. The Mt stayed open until August 6 or thereabouts. It was fantastic spring skiing on the top of the Mt. For me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to ski close to my Birthday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In a nutshell, diminishing revenue and the high cost of doing business.

I've hard that when there's no snow in the backyards in Connecticut, people stop coming to ski in Vermont. I'm sure it's the same in other locations, too.

There's a good article on this topic in the Reno Gazette Journal. Go here.
In the southeast, most people aren't thinking about winter sports after Pres. Day. Even with plenty of snow and cold for snowmaking in March, most of the ski areas cut back days or close completely. Their employees were off to other jobs given that they didn't expect work after mid-March at the latest. Some of the places use young adults from other countries who cannot stay longer. So it's never really been about snow coverage except perhaps for Snowshoe, which is the only true "ski resort" in the region.

Also important to have time for maintenance and set up work to prepare for the spring and summer seasons. Very few ski resorts survive with only winter business.

Jilly

Staff member
DH and I were at Panorama years ago when they were getting ready to close. It was that people weren't coming. The golf courses were open and the bike season had begone.

In the case of Tremblant, it's costs vs revenue and the union. Also think about the staff. They've worked all winter with no vacation. They want one too before they start summer work. Or move down under.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta is one of the ski resorts that is well known for being a good choice for a late season trip. However, the way the agreement between Alta Lifts and the Forest Service works is that the schedule is set well in advance. Meaning in the early fall for the full season. Most years the season goes until mid-April for 7-day operations. Some seasons there are "bonus weekends" that are Fri-Mon into late April. For 2018, there will be three weekends, with Closing Day on May 6 assuming the weather isn't too hot in late April.

Will be interesting to see when the new Supreme lift closes. In the past, the old Supreme lift and Cecret traditionally closed a week before 7-day ops ended.

Closing lifts decreases the labor needed. Pretty common for ski resorts that stay open longer. Snowbird does the same after mid-April.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga