• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who wants to demo what this season?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Try the Samba!
Have tried them. Had a good time in the afternoon with the Samba the day after the 35" dump last April 15. But if I were to buy skis right now, would probably get the DPS Nina 99. First demo'd those in April 2014. Skied them at Alta a couple times during the mid-season trip last season. The second day include a lesson in plenty of powder in steep trees. Had a blast! Almost bought the demo pair, but really not interested in a quiver that includes two potential skis for a trip out west. I enjoy renting demo skis out west. Only reason I didn't get the Nina 99 during later on was that the demo pair were long gone by the time I got back to Alta in late March. :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have tried them. Had a good time in the afternoon with the Samba the day after the 35" dump last April 15. But if I were to buy skis right now, would probably get the DPS Nina 99. First demo'd those in April 2014. Skied them at Alta a couple times during the mid-season trip last season. The second day include a lesson in plenty of powder in steep trees. Had a blast! Almost bought the demo pair, but really not interested in a quiver that includes two potential skis for a trip out west. I enjoy renting demo skis out west. Only reason I didn't get the Nina 99 during later on was that the demo pair were long gone by the time I got back to Alta in late March. :smile:
Curious...what size did you try in the DPS Nina 99? Think we may have a good season in tahoe. Still may try for a snowbird/alta trip.... no europe this year.... maybe next.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the DPS Nina 99, I like 158cm. My BPs are 159cm. Also tried the Cham 87 at 158cm. Just for fun I checked out the Cham 97 and Cham 107 at 166cm. Those were fine given the tip rocker. Took the Cham 107 out to Catherine's after a powder storm. Probably 8-10 inches that morning. In the afternoon, I took out the K2 Remedy 117 at 159cm. First time on skis that wide and it looked really weird. They were okay on soft snow and handled surprisingly well on hard pack groomers. First time on a K2 ski in quite a while.

Sometimes I spend a little time on longer skis just to see where the limit is for me now. Several years ago I couldn't handle Blizzard Crush at 162, but liked the next shorter length in 6-8 inches of powder. I was starting to work harder on improving that season. Was mostly skiing powder on the edges of groomers.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
For the DPS Nina 99, I like 158cm. My BPs are 159cm. Also tried the Cham 87 at 158cm. Just for fun I checked out the Cham 97 and Cham 107 at 166cm. Those were fine given the tip rocker. Took the Cham 107 out to Catherine's after a powder storm. Probably 8-10 inches that morning. In the afternoon, I took out the K2 Remedy 117 at 159cm. First time on skis that wide and it looked really weird. They were okay on soft snow and handled surprisingly well on hard pack groomers. First time on a K2 ski in quite a while.

Sometimes I spend a little time on longer skis just to see where the limit is for me now. Several years ago I couldn't handle Blizzard Crush at 162, but liked the next shorter length in 6-8 inches of powder. I was starting to work harder on improving that season. Was mostly skiing powder on the edges of groomers.
Okay... cool.. My Rossi Saffron 7's are 162 and only skied in Tahoe about 5 days on them .... waist is 98..... Heard Dynastar Cham's are a great ski.. Have friend who has condo in Crested Butte (fun but very cold place for a Californian) that said ski instructors/patrol love the Cham series... Think you are around my height?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm 5'0", 120 lbs. Stronger and a better skier than a few years ago when I bought the BPs and a few pounds heavier. Although lately I've lost a few pounds.

I took out the Rossi Saffron 7 at 162 at the Alta Demo Day. Conditions were . . . lousy because it was too warm the day before and too cold overnight. I didn't make any special notes about the Saffron or the Temptation 84, but that probably means I liked them well enough. Haven't been on a Rossi that I haven't liked yet. My first good skis were Rossi Attraxion 8 (127-75-108) after I demo'd them during the Diva Week NASTC clinic in north Tahoe in 2010. That's what the BPs replaced.

Somewhere I remember reading that the Chams are different in some way for 2016.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm 5'0", 120 lbs. Stronger and a better skier than a few years ago when I bought the BPs and a few pounds heavier. Although lately I've lost a few pounds.

I took out the Rossi Saffron 7 at 162 at the Alta Demo Day. Conditions were . . . lousy because it was too warm the day before and too cold overnight. I didn't make any special notes about the Saffron or the Temptation 84, but that probably means I liked them well enough. Haven't been on a Rossi that I haven't liked yet. My first good skis were Rossi Attraxion 8 (127-75-108) after I demo'd them during the Diva Week NASTC clinic in north Tahoe in 2010. That's what the BPs replaced.

Somewhere I remember reading that the Chams are different in some way for 2016.
Funny I learned to ski on 150's in the 70's, then gradually moved up and the longest skis were 180's Salomon purple ones, then worked my way down Rossi Bandits in 170's and 160's, and then Volkl Kenjas in 149... Now new Rossi Saffron in 162 and seem fine.. Must be the rocketed ski. I'm 5'1 and around 102.... also older, probably older than you... And yes, bone density issues big time... Finally took Fosomax 3 years ago and now much better. Resisted it but doc said no choice, I'll be breaking bones. So i think one more year.....oops hijacked this thread , sorry.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Funny I learned to ski on 150's in the 70's, then gradually moved up and the longest skis were 180's Salomon purple ones, then worked my way down Rossi Bandits in 170's and 160's, and then Volkl Kenjas in 149... Now new Rossi Saffron in 162 and seem fine.. Must be the rocketed ski. I'm 5'1 and around 102.... also older, probably older than you... And yes, bone density issues big time... Finally took Fosomax 3 years ago and now much better. Resisted it but doc said no choice, I'll be breaking bones. So i think one more year.....oops hijacked this thread , sorry.
The straight skis I bought in 1981 are 170. I'll be 60 next year. Skiing way better than when I was 50. :smile:

First skis I bought when skiing with my young daughter while she was learning were 136cm former rental skis. Went to about 149cm next when I was still an intermediate. Any skis 158-165 look fine when I'm on them.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, the replacement for my BPs with the bull could well end up being a newer pair of BPs. I've also toyed with the idea of getting something slightly wider if I'm mostly doing trips out west mid-season. In short, lots of reasons to keep going to the Alta Demo Day. :smile:
If you're looking at something wider, with your size and skiing style I'd stick with something fairly nimble. Perhaps something like the Wild Belle. Its only 2 mm wider than the BP but its got a very different shape to it.
All in all, you really can't go wrong with the Black Pearl.

Try the Samba!
I doubt the Samba is the ski for Marznc. I've paid attention to the way she talks about skis and had the opportunity to ski with her once (although it was 2 years ago) and I think she'll get more out of a ski in that high 80's low 90's range for a daily driver or one ski quiver.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you're looking at something wider, with your size and skiing style I'd stick with something fairly nimble. Perhaps something like the Wild Belle. Its only 2 mm wider than the BP but its got a very different shape to it.

I doubt the Samba is the ski for Marznc. I've paid attention to the way she talks about skis and had the opportunity to ski with her once (although it was 2 years ago) and I think she'll get more out of a ski in that high 80's low 90's range for a daily driver or one ski quiver.
Yeah, I don't remember thinking the Samba was super fun. Not like the time I've spent with the DPS Nina 99.

How does the Wild Belle compare to the Hell & Back? I know the H&B is wider. Ended up on them one morning at Alta at 161cm because I wanted something that would hold on the hard pack (for Alta) groomers until we got over to Catherine's last Feb. I'm skiing enough on trips out west that when I pay to rent demo skis, I usually switch out at lunch just to try something different.

I had a good time with the Wildfire, 105mm, in Catherine's after an April storm.

I checked out the Wild Belle at 154cm a few years ago at the Massanutten demo weekend. But I ski quite differently now because was before I started taking lots of lessons at Mnut and out west. Got confirmation last season during the lesson at Snowbasin with Stew that I'm now Level 8 (of 9). Had four semi-private lessons with Bill at Alta after, which really started to make a difference on steeper terrain. Plus that demo day was very soft spring conditions due to a Jan thaw and about the 5th ski day after I spent the summer/fall rehabbing a knee. The demo tent was a surprise that season. Pretty sure 154 would be too short now. What is the next longer length?

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
meant rockered skis, stupid

Makes sense. Different skis work for different skiing abilities/style and basic want. I demoed the Samba at Northstar at the suggestion of an employee who also suggested the Black Pearl or Atomic Elysian as backup. I think the Samba was a 152 and they were definitely different than the Kenja, but really fun in the chopped up wet snow that I was skiing in. I actually demoed for 3 days.... Also did fine on the groomers. Not sure why I didn't purchase them. Ended up with the Saffron 7, totally different ski...... but fun.....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only one ski on my list,
The Nordica Santa Ana - and in Mammoth - only place to demo is P3 (park pipe powder) Next to Schats Bakery.

Oddly neither the mountain nor the other nordica ski shops chose to carry it - or the Enforcer? :crazy:

I was sooooo excited to see that P3 had both and they just got the demo fleet in :smile:

Suckage. Not even Footloose, they seemed to have a decent selection the last time I was there. Wouldn't it be nice to go to the manufacturer's site and be able to plug in a zip and they'd tell you who actually carries the particular ski to demo.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would be nice to be able to locate via zip. I had asked the mountain and footloose last year if they were going to carry and both said no. Also footloose stopped carrying blizzard 2 years ago- seems they are mostly Solomon now and few Kastle/and other random selections for women.

Basically if you want to demo most of the skis discussed here its either:
On the mountain(Canyon and Main have diffrent selection) for Head/K2/Volkl/ limited nordica/ Rossignol/ Atomic;
Kittredge for all Blizzard BP, Samba, Cheyene (even a few dakotas)/Volkl/Line/K2/
P3 for the Santa Ana, Armada (pretty new VJJ and TST); Line Volkl; and several other park/ powder brands......
Mammoth Mountaneering Supply for for back country and cross country

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
That would be nice to be able to locate via zip. I had asked the mountain and footloose last year if they were going to carry and both said no. Also footloose stopped carrying blizzard 2 years ago- seems they are mostly Solomon now and few Kastle/and other random selections for women.

Basically if you want to demo most of the skis discussed here its either:
On the mountain(Canyon and Main have diffrent selection) for Head/K2/Volkl/ limited nordica/ Rossignol/ Atomic;
Kittredge for all Blizzard BP, Samba, Cheyene (even a few dakotas)/Volkl/Line/K2/
P3 for the Santa Ana, Armada (pretty new VJJ and TST); Line Volkl; and several other park/ powder brands......
Mammoth Mountaneering Supply for for back country and cross country
Very helpful info, thanks!

2 of the instructors today at my training clinic had Rossi Heros so I took it as a sign, need to demo this ski :smile:. I also learned another perk with instructing is that I to demo for way cheaper also. My home mountain has on site demos all season long from about christmas time until the end of March when they sell the demos. I also saw the demo fleet being set up today and the new Kenja was in there as was the Rossi Temptation 84 and 88 so might as well demo those also. They also have the Rossi Pursuit 800 so hell why not. Cheaper demos for me can be a dangerous thing (insert wicked laugh here)

Powderqueen

Certified Ski Diva
I am actually complete with skis at this moment so could really go this entire season without demoing once. If I did demo it will be out of want not because I am on a hunt for skis.

Skis I wouldn't mind demoing if given the chance

Rossi Hero Elite ST ti
Head Super Joy
Kastle MX78
Nordia Fire Arrow 8.0ti
Blizzard Viva X8 or XPower
Volkl RTM 81
Rossignol Pursuit 700
Volkl Kenja
Line Pandora 95
Atomic Vantage 95C
Head Great Joy
Blizzard Samba
Volkl Aura
Nordica Santa Ana

What's on your demo list?????

@surfsnowgirl Did you ever demo the Nordica Fire Arrows? I have an opportunity to buy a pair for $200.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 Ooolaluvs would be demo-worthy. I've read nothing but good about them. But there are so many good skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna