• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who has a wearable fitness device?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sigh. I'm torn. Thinking of returning the Garmin, since no intervals seems pretty stupid, and without that it's not that dissimilar to the Surge I already have. There are a lot of other nice features, though. The Garmins with intervals are more expensive and seem to support fewer activity types (ie, running specific). I really wish their forum software would let me post.

The other option would be to return the Fitbit, also bought from REI, although I would feel really crappy about that since it's been months and there's not technically anything wrong with it.

I will write up some thoughts about Garmin Vivoactive HR vs Fitbit Surge in a more put-together way in a bit ...

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Okay, here's something I never thought would be a problem.

I got the Garmin to replace the Fitbit in large part for the expanded capabilities. It has an app store (all apps are free) where developers can add anything they can think of.

So, two things that irritate me.

1) There is no stopwatch/timer native to the watch. There is a stopwatch app available, but it switches screens back to the clock after a few seconds.

2) You can't download the "workouts" you program into Connect down to the watch. In fact, you can download it to your phone, but then I don't see any way to start it. WTF.

Compounding these issues, the contact form to email Garmin appears to be broken so that I can't fill it out, and for some reason when I go to the forum, I don't have permissions to post. Their site is also often slow.

My "obsolete" FR60 supported me programming workout programs (tediously, on the watch itself), stopwatch, and timer functions.

WTF??

Ladies, can anyone tell me what is going on here? I do have a couch25k app on my phone, for example, but I'd rather use a buzzer on my watch. All of these watches seem to assume that your phone is on hand. The whole point of the watch, to me, is not to need my phone .... well, and the HR thing.

:(

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Right?? To be fair, none of the things I'm complaining about are on the Fitbit, either.

I tweeted at Garmin about not being able to post on the forum, and they said they'd look into it. No info yet.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went through a spate of buy/return until I settled on the Vivofit 2. It involved the Fitbit Flex, Apple Watch, Fitbit Charge HR (this was before the current updates of these). I'm kinda embarassed to admit it but I guess I could call it a learning experience.
- Fitbit Flex - I had a hard time putting it on my wrist and felt like a dummy for it. It lacked a HR monitor.
- Apple Watch - It looked good and I thought it was cool, but it was high maintenance with low battery life.
- Fitbit Charge HR - I loved the tangerine strap but by then the mixed reviews on the accuracy of wrist-based HR monitors and the need to charge these things were turn-offs.
- Garmin Vivofit 2 - Inexpensive and comfortable enough to tolerate non-stop wear. The simple step tracker has been great. I sync it manually with Garmin Connect nightly. I bought a chest strap to go with it, but have yet to use it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, Garmin got back to me on Twitter this evening and fixed my forum posting issue. That's not bad in the customer service world.

I'm enjoying my Fitbit Surge but I don't love the monochromatic display. DH has the Samsung Gear Fit 2 and I'm intrigued by it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-fit2/?cid=ppc-

I love the fitness aspects of the Surge and am addicted to the software. Not wild about the display though. What is cool about the Samsung Gear Fit 2 is the color display and all the more smart phone apps that come with it. Full text and email perusual at any time, plus you can snooze the alarm and control your music on your phone. The Samsung seems more like a smart watch but with fitness watch components. This might be better for me.

I like how I can synch my surge and see everything on the screen of my computer, cheer my friends on, etc. The Surge is stellar but seems more fitness watch based and I'm not that much into working out so I think the combo deal might be better for me.

I might just have to get the Samsung to see how I like it. Is anyone familiar enough with the Samsung Gear Fit 2 to give any kind of analysis?

altagirl

Staff member
Haha, you guys are way beyond me in terms of gear collecting!

My surge is good enough to keep me happy for quite a while now (at least a year and a half I think? ). I know when I was shopping there were a few other features I'd like but no single device that had it all. Sounds like that has not changed!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, you guys are way beyond me in terms of gear collecting!

My surge is good enough to keep me happy for quite a while now (at least a year and a half I think? ). I know when I was shopping there were a few other features I'd like but no single device that had it all. Sounds like that has not changed!

What else is new, right? There's always something new coming out that will have one feature no one else has, and so on ...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@surfsnowgirl you'll have to be the pioneer on the review of the new Samsung device! It looks nice, that's for sure.

@VickiK I might have to do that :smile:. I know what I like about the Surge so I might have to do this to see if It's just "shiny object" syndrome or if it's truly a better device for me. Worst case I sell it and I'll still have my surge and likely appreciate it more.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking about selling my Surge, but not all the way there yet.

I have realized I want more of a sportwatch than a fitness watch. I like the fitness aspect of the watch with my surge but in playing with DH's Samsung Fit2 I realized I love the bells and whistles that are more cell phone based so thinking a fitness watch is more for me.

I love DH's samsung Fit2 but then today I played with the Samsung Gear S2 Classic and oooh think that's what I want.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been working on the world's longest writeup of the Garmin Vivoactive HR. By the time I'm done, it'll be obsolete!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I just got the new Fitbit Charge 2 yesterday. I'll come back with a review after I've worn it for a few days. So far, I will say that I like the color and it looks more like a woman's watch than the prior version.

I've had the Fitbit Charge 2 for two weeks now. Here are some pros / cons:

• I like the color (blue), the fit and the size (small).
  • The narrow strip of silver on the side makes it look more like a watch that a big rubber band like the prior version. I work in a business semi-casual corporate office and this device works with my normal work wardrobe.
  • The battery lasts a full 5 days of constant use.
  • The new charger configuration works better than the prior one. There is no way that the device can fall off the cord like it did before. The con: the charger is bulky and awkward. It doesn't store well with all my other charger cords.
  • I like that the screen lights up and shows you the time and your current step could when you raise your wrist...during the day. It would be nice if there was a way to disable this, however, because it's annoying when I roll over and raise my wrist in bed at night.
  • It shows resting heart rate as an average, which I find informative. It's a little squirrelly when I'm running, and I sometimes need to tap several times to get my heart rate when I'm on the move. It might be because I'm sweaty, but that's when I kinda need to know my heart rate, so it's annoying.
  • It recognizes when I'm walking vs. running which is convenient if you are syncing with weight watchers or other apps that are counting exercise points.
  • I do like the hourly reminders to get in 250 steps per hour. I've taken the stairs, or parked a little farther away to try and hit that goal.
  • I also like that it tells me who is calling or texting me on my phone. That is useful when I don't have the phone in hand.
  • The Relax app is an interesting idea, but it is basically a pre-set interval timer. What would be more useful would be a programmable interval timer so that I didn't need a separate app on my phone.

Overall, it does a bit more than Fitbit Charge 1, and I can see where this technology is going. It works for me for now, and I am looking forward to the next iterations.

The Samsung 2 classic is rose gold is what I want but they are $399 so yikes. Might look at the Fitbit Blaze which might give me the same bells and whistles but a cheaper price tag.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I got tired of editing or trying to find the right format, so here's a huge wall of text about the Garmin Vivoactive HR:

Intro

I was going to review the Fitbit Surge vs. the Garmin Vivoactive HR, but to be honest, there’s really no comparison. For my interests, there are a couple of minor things where the Surge has an advantage, but the $50 extra just gets me *so* much more.

I’ve had the Surge for a few months, but really only used it for a couple of weeks because of my injury and recovery. I just bought the Garmin Vivoactive HR as sort of a treat/incentive as I slowly get reintroduced to activities. So far I really haven’t done much with either. Nothing that would hit max HR for sure.

So this is a casual review of the Garmin, with some commentary about the Surge and Fitbit ecosystem mixed in. I won’t be evaluating HR accuracy or sample frequency or anything fancy like that. You can find that sort of stuff online. I’m not a hard core user - I just have a gear addiction.

TL;DR

I like the Vivoactive HR pretty well. In most ways, it’s leaps and bounds better than the FR60 I bought in 2010 when I first attempted the couch 2 5k (I’ve yet to actually finish the couch 2 5k series - I always hit some sort of joint pain - but I maintain hope!). Weirdly, though, there are some key features that the FR60 had, but that aren’t available with the VA HR. I gather this is because the Forerunner series is running specific and sort of the flagship line, but it’s hard to imagine why any modern sport watch is missing a timer or a stopwatch. That’s just BS.

The Surge is probably the most feature-rich watch in the Fitbit lineup, while the Vivoactive HR is maybe middle of the road for the Garmin lineup.

The Fitbit website and app are much easier to use than the Garmin Connect website and app. Partly that may be because the Connect site does so much. If you are someone passionate about clean UI, I predict you’ll be frustrated by Connect. But if you like an excess of features, lots of configuration options, and being rewarded for digging, Connect may appeal to you. It appeals to me.

Okay, on to some details.

Fitbit Surge: Like
The stair detection seems to work pretty well. It only misses a flight of stairs once every 10 or 20 flights. Close enough for something that is just a “huh, that’s interesting” stat for me, anyway.

It has a stopwatch built in.

You can set an alarm - but you have to do it via the app or the website.

Fitbit Surge: Dislike

The Surge doesn’t have the option of a movement reminder throughout the day. Apparently they are reserving this feature for newer models coming out. Lame.

The charge cable. It doesn’t stick to the watch very well, so I never trust that it’s actually charging. It falls out stupid easily.

The wrist strap. It’s not particularly comfortable.

The green HR monitoring lights stay on *way* too long when I take the watch off or if I accidentally bump it. They are amazingly bright.

Garmin Vivoactive HR: Like
The watch strap is softer and less irritating to my skin than the Surge strap. That being said, both are moderately irritating for me - I bought the Surge primarily to monitor my sleep, but it didn’t really give me any new information. These days I don’t wear either watch to sleep.

The charge cable has a mini cradle. It’s tricky to snap on, but once it’s on, you KNOW it’s going to stay put.

The VA HR auto-adjusts step goals based on your recent performance. I can see this being much better on the upward side than the downward - I feel a little sad as most days, the step goal is lower than the day before.

Movement reminders. The VA has a little power bar thing that fills up with a red line the longer you sit around. When the bar is half full, it vibrates, and the screen shows “Move!” When the bar is full and beyond, it vibrates again, then lets you stew in your own guilt. You get another buzz and “Movement cleared!” when you walk around enough. I’m not sure how it does this math. I’ve never convinced it that I’ve walked enough when in the house (even walking up and down stairs) or in the office. Maybe it requires continuous steps with no pause.

The app store and developer API! There are four types of programs supported: Apps, widgets, watch faces, and data fields. A bit confusing. I think I’ve cracked the code.

Widgets are screens available from the main watch screen by scrolling. After a few seconds, the screen will revert to the watch display.

Apps are available from the right button. This is where you find your different sport programs. When you’re running an app, you stay on that app screen - it doesn’t revert to the watch face.

Watch faces: this should be self explanatory.

Data fields: Custom data that isn’t part of the main system. I’m still not 100% sure how this interacts with the other programs. For example, there’s a % of vVO2 max data field. I think this must come with a widget to display this info. There’s also a data field to show you how many beers you can drink based on how many calories you’ve burned …

Sports. The VA HR supports a lot of sports, including skiing, SUPing, swimming, indoor vs outdoor biking and running … I’m not sure how useful these modes actually are, but they exist. I just used one of the several free hiking apps from the app store today, and it worked great. Except I did accidentally stop it and restart it so that I ended up with two sequential activities in Connect. I suspect I’ll be doing this a lot if I use it under a ski jacket.

GPS. It plots your course on the map if you upload your data to Connect.

Garmin Vivoactive HR: Dislike
It’s terrible at registering stairs. Others have complained about this on the forum - it looks like they tried to fix it in the last firmware update, so at least it’s on the radar. But it’s not fixed yet. I have a two story house (not counting basement), take the stairs from the parking garage to the office, and there’s a flight of stairs to get to my office. Typically it records one or two flights a day. *sigh* …. But I did exceed my stair goal today while hiking! Go figure.

I’ve read that there are issues with recording heart rate when you’re above maybe 135. I haven’t done high heart rate stuff recently to find out.

No alarm or stopwatch or timer built in. (I downloaded a timer app which works great. I downloaded a stopwatch widget that isn’t so great, because it’s a widget, so the screen flips back to the watch face after a few seconds. Thinking of trying my hand at writing a stopwatch as an app.)

I’m not sure why, but some of the widgets are unnecessarily reliant on a bluetooth connection to a phone. I understand why the weather and calendar apps require connectivity, but altitude? The watch has its own altimeter!

While Connect supports “workouts,” which are timed intervals that you can set for yourself - the watch doesn’t support them. So, no intervals on the VA HR. This surprised me and nearly prompted me to return the damn thing. But there’s a third party app, https://www.geniuswrist.com/workoutbuilder , that does a really nice job of this at $8 / year. Yes, there are roughly one million C 2 5K phone apps out there, I know - but I don’t always want my phone on me, or to rely on my phone for my workout.

Fitbit online/app experience vs Garmin Connect online/app experience

Arguably, this is really where the rubber meets the road - what data is available, and how well is it presented? Can you find what you’re looking for?

Fitbit’s UI is clean, easy to read, modern, and fast. When you dig below the surface, though … well, there isn’t much digging. It’s pretty shallow. Garmin Connect is clunky, complex, looks somewhat dated, and slow.

For me, I prefer the Connect system. Because why? Because when i logged in for the first time in a year, it showed me my most recent run and my most recent bike activity. In fact, I can see every activity I ever did with my old FR60, dating back to 2010. And I can export that data as a CSV. And I can click into each of those to see my pace, heart rate, and cadence (assuming I had the relevant device for shoe or wheel), plus all sorts of summary stats.

Fitbit also stores past activities, although the button for timeframe only goes back a year. It looks like you can go back further by explicitly choosing to do so with the calendar range picker - but then it still only loads 10 events by default. Then you have to choose “Load 10 more.” And again. And again.

I also have trouble figuring out how to navigate Fitbit to see details. More often than not, when I get to the detailed or historical view, I can’t figure out how I got there. I just click around, drilling down and back up again, till I find it.

Do I strictly speaking *need* to look at 2010 data? Maybe not, but it’s interesting.

Data available from an auto-detected walk in Fitbit: Duration, average heart rate, heart rate chart, supposed calories burned, supposed duration of fat burning intensity, supposed calorie burn rate, steps taken.

Data available from an uncategorized event in Garmin Connect in 2015: Duration, average heart rate, heart rate chart, supposed calories burned, distance, average speed, elevation gain (don’t believe my old FR60 could do this), max heart rate, heart rate as percent of max / zones. For an explicit run with a cadence attachment for my shoe, I also get pace and cadence. The Vivoactive HR also shows a map and elevation and temperature. These seem to only work when the watch is connected to your phone via Bluetooth. This I do not understand, as the watch has GPS and its own altimeter (I’ll give it a pass on the weather). Garmin Connect also supports splits, but it sure looks like the only splits that Vivoactive HR supports are auto-detected splits for skiing.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I don't think I mentioned - the Surge has an alarm function, though you have to set it through the website (maybe the app, too?). There's no alarm on the Garmin. This seems so stupid on a digital watch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga