• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whistler for first timer

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,

My husband and I are headed to WB for the first time in early March and I am wondering if anyone here has any tips for us related to the slopes, village or anythg that you think might be helpful to know.

We are early 50's, intermediate level but have only ever skied in Ontario and Quebec, so powder will be new to us. We are flying so will be renting equipment there which is a relief as our skis are designed for packed snow I believe. I think we will likely stick to greens to start and work our way up to blues but doubt we will take on any blacks. Both of us have knee problems now and I am awaiting eye surgery to get rid of my glasses so wear contacts for sking but they're an older Rx.

We are staying at Horstman House on which is on the Blackcomb side. Hoping to utilize the kitchen there as the restaurant prices that I have seen are $$$$.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reactions: AJM

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all,

My husband and I are headed to WB for the first time in early March and I am wondering if anyone here has any tips for us related to the slopes, village or anythg that you think might be helpful to know.

We are early 50's, intermediate level but have only ever skied in Ontario and Quebec, so powder will be new to us. We are flying so will be renting equipment there which is a relief as our skis are designed for packed snow I believe. I think we will likely stick to greens to start and work our way up to blues but doubt we will take on any blacks. Both of us have knee problems now and I am awaiting eye surgery to get rid of my glasses so wear contacts for sking but they're an older Rx.

We are staying at Horstman House on which is on the Blackcomb side. Hoping to utilize the kitchen there as the restaurant prices that I have seen are $$$$.

Thanks in advance for any input.
My DH and I love staying at Horstman House! It’s clean and quiet, and although we prefer ski in/out, the efficient shuttle is top notch and the 1 BR is perfect for a couple. There is a way to ski back to HH if there’s enough snow, in fact someone made a YouTube video of how to follow the path back. Take the shuttle to the village on arrival to grab groceries and pick up your rentals (assuming your doing that in the village). The only issues I’ve ever experienced at WB is heavy fog on every visit we’ve taken.
Edit: Just found the ski in video, now posted on HH site. https://www.horstmanhouse.com/

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lucky you !! The biggest tip I have is to take one of the free guided mountain tours, from memory they run from about 11am or maybe 11.30am each day from both the Roundhouse on Whistler or Rendevous on Blackcomb. They divide you into groups and off you go ! They're great fun and you learn all the handy tips and tricks for getting around ... be warned these mountains are HUGE and there is no shame in downloading if you're too tired to ski all the way down at the end of your day. Enjoy :ski:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh and what we used to do although we would stay in a condo near the Market Square (so not so handy for you on the BC side) was to grab a quick dinner from the supermarket ie whatever they have hot on the day ie chicken curry, soups etc. But a trip to Sushi Village was always a must do !
The Fire and Ice show at the Plaza is always fun, I cant remember what nights it is, a bit touristy but fun all the same.xx

Christy

Angel Diva
Random tips in no particular order.

The higher you go, the better the snow will be. The lower elevations can often be pretty scoured from skier traffic and freeze/thaw. But watch out for flat light or fog in the alpine areas. Above treeline it can be kinda dicey in those conditions. On a nice day though WB is SO beautiful.

Do try to get up to Symphony Bowl. You'll want good light but there is some mellow blue terrain and the snow is usually good, and it's just a fun area. The Saddle is another wowzer run. Just gorgeous scenery. It can be a bit scoured on that run but I suspect, being from the East, you won't have any issues with it.

If the Whistler gondola has crazy long lines (it probably will on weekends) take the Fitzimmons Chair.

The place is huge and don't underestimate how long it takes to get around. It can easily take an hour to get from a certain point on Blackcomb to another point on Whistler.

Most of the Greens are cat tracks. The exception is the runs from the Emerald Chair, so you might want to start there. You can take those down to Upper Olympic then get on the gondola at mid-station for the ride back up, or take Garbanzo back up if you want to do some blues then. Garbanzo seems to be an out of the way spot that doesn't get a ton of use.

Getting waffles at Crystal Hut is fun but go at non-peak hours. The blues in that area, under Crystal chair, get less traffic than other spots.

Probably no one has to tell you this but do take the Peak to Peak at least once.

I also like Sushi Village. My favorite place is the bar at Araxi. They've always had an oyster happy hour and the cocktails and service are really nice. I know my husband was there last year but I haven't been since the very last weekend before the pandemic and don't know if they still do happy hour pricing. HHs seem to have fallen off where I live.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Probably no one has to tell you this but do take the Peak to Peak at least once.

I also like Sushi Village. My favorite place is the bar at Araxi.
Yes on everything here.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging @Cantabrigienne and @kiki as they're familiar with WB.

You can pick up rentals the day before but I've heard people getting it delivered because the line up for renting can be atrocious.

If you're eating on mountain, I believe they recommend reservations. Download the EpicMix app to make reservations and I think they also do lift forecasts.

If you do want to splurge on a restaurant, Araxi and Bearfoot Bistro are nice.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
My DH and I love staying at Horstman House! It’s clean and quiet, and although we prefer ski in/out, the efficient shuttle is top notch and the 1 BR is perfect for a couple. There is a way to ski back to HH if there’s enough snow, in fact someone made a YouTube video of how to follow the path back. Take the shuttle to the village on arrival to grab groceries and pick up your rentals (assuming your doing that in the village). The only issues I’ve ever experienced at WB is heavy fog on every visit we’ve taken.
Edit: Just found the ski in video, now posted on HH site. https://www.horstmanhouse.com/
Thanks for the tip about grabbing groceries at the village using the shuttle. We ALWAYS rent a car when we travel so I am feeling a bit unsure about how to do these kinds of things. Was thinking we would take a cab to get groceries and go to Le Scandinave :smile: I also am relieved to hear that you enjoyed Horstman House. It's a but removed from the village action but was the right price for our budget.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Lucky you !! The biggest tip I have is to take one of the free guided mountain tours, from memory they run from about 11am or maybe 11.30am each day from both the Roundhouse on Whistler or Rendevous on Blackcomb. They divide you into groups and off you go ! They're great fun and you learn all the handy tips and tricks for getting around ... be warned these mountains are HUGE and there is no shame in downloading if you're too tired to ski all the way down at the end of your day. Enjoy :ski:
Thank you. I had no idea this was an option and it sounds like the perfect way to figure out what's where. Like a hop on hop off tour of a new city :smile: Fabulous suggestion about grabbing pre made dinners at the grocery store. Thanks!

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Random tips in no particular order.

The higher you go, the better the snow will be. The lower elevations can often be pretty scoured from skier traffic and freeze/thaw. But watch out for flat light or fog in the alpine areas. Above treeline it can be kinda dicey in those conditions. On a nice day though WB is SO beautiful.

Do try to get up to Symphony Bowl. You'll want good light but there is some mellow blue terrain and the snow is usually good, and it's just a fun area. The Saddle is another wowzer run. Just gorgeous scenery. It can be a bit scoured on that run but I suspect, being from the East, you won't have any issues with it.

If the Whistler gondola has crazy long lines (it probably will on weekends) take the Fitzimmons Chair.

The place is huge and don't underestimate how long it takes to get around. It can easily take an hour to get from a certain point on Blackcomb to another point on Whistler.

Most of the Greens are cat tracks. The exception is the runs from the Emerald Chair, so you might want to start there. You can take those down to Upper Olympic then get on the gondola at mid-station for the ride back up, or take Garbanzo back up if you want to do some blues then. Garbanzo seems to be an out of the way spot that doesn't get a ton of use.

Getting waffles at Crystal Hut is fun but go at non-peak hours. The blues in that area, under Crystal chair, get less traffic than other spots.

I also like Sushi Village. My favorite place is the bar at Araxi. They've always had an oyster happy hour and the cocktails and service are really nice. I know my husband was there last year but I haven't been since the very last weekend before the pandemic and don't know if they still do happy hour pricing. HHs seem to have fallen off where I live.
Thank you so much for the detailed tips about the runs. We're only there for 2 days so want to maximize our time given how vast the place is. We are going on a Monday/Tuesday (6th and 7th of March) so hoping the crowds will be more reasonable than on a weekend.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Paging @Cantabrigienne and @kiki as they're familiar with WB.

You can pick up rentals the day before but I've heard people getting it delivered because the line up for renting can be atrocious.

If you're eating on mountain, I believe they recommend reservations. Download the EpicMix app to make reservations and I think they also do lift forecasts.

If you do want to splurge on a restaurant, Araxi and Bearfoot Bistro are nice.
Thank you. Wouldn't have thought to get our gear the day before but just checked and the rental company allows it at no additional cost. Thanks also for telling me about the app. Wasn't aware of it.

Jilly

Staff member
If you're driving up i would stop at the Independent Grocer in Squamish. It's right on the highway. Stuff will be a little less expensive than the IGA in Whistler. It's on the right hand side going North.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Do check the grooming reports every day...

It's no bad thing to download at the end of the day as snow lower down can deteriorate badly. Though that might not work for getting back to Horstman House...

The skiing experience on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains is quite different. Generally Blackcomb provides steeper more "fall - line" runs.

Whistler
When I visited last year, Whistler was busier than Blackcomb, and seemed to attract people who, IMHO, skied too fast down designated slow zones such as the wide Upper Whiskey Jack... There was no line of SnowPatrollers (possibly a post Covid thing??) encouraging a more careful approach! The runs off Red Chair are fun.
I think the greens on Whistler offer more fun skiing than the (narrower) greens on Blackcomb.
Be warned - The Saddle is now a black - I have seen it described as the steepest groomed run at Whistler. Not sure whether that's true or not!

BlackComb
The views from 7th Heaven on Blackcomb are amazing.
We liked Glacier Creek Lodge on Blackcomb

Try and get hold of a copy of this book - The Ski and Snowbaord Guide to Whistler (Intermediate Edition) by Brian Finestone and Kevin Hodder. Intermediate Ski and Snowboard Guide to Whistler. It's THE bible describing all the runs - how steep, busy, narrow, awesome, bumpy etc. It also includes tips on where to ski in bad weather, and how to progress (from easier to more difficult) areas around the mountains. There's also an Advanced/Expert Edition.

I see that you're only there for a couple of days so, according to the book, here's their recommended progressive list of zones:

Blackcomb:
Beginner Terrain - Magic Chair and Catskinner Chair
Low-End Intermediate Terrain - Excelerator Chair and Wizard Chair
Advanced Intermediate -Solar Coaster, Jersey Cream and 7th Heaven
High-End Intermediate - 7th Heaven, T-Bars, Crystal

Whistler
Beginner Terrain - Olympic Station
Low-End Intermediate Terrain -Emerald Express, Lower Whistler Village Gondola
Advanced Intermediate -Big Red, Garbanzo, Creekside Gondola
High-End Intermediate - T-Bars, Harmony Express, The Peak Chair

Do let us know how you get on!

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Do check the grooming reports every day...

It's no bad thing to download at the end of the day as snow lower down can deteriorate badly. Though that might not work for getting back to Horstman House...

The skiing experience on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains is quite different. Generally Blackcomb provides steeper more "fall - line" runs.

Whistler
When I visited last year, Whistler was busier than Blackcomb, and seemed to attract people who, IMHO, skied too fast down designated slow zones such as the wide Upper Whiskey Jack... There was no line of SnowPatrollers (possibly a post Covid thing??) encouraging a more careful approach! The runs off Red Chair are fun.
I think the greens on Whistler offer more fun skiing than the (narrower) greens on Blackcomb.
Be warned - The Saddle is now a black - I have seen it described as the steepest groomed run at Whistler. Not sure whether that's true or not!

BlackComb
The views from 7th Heaven on Blackcomb are amazing.
We liked Glacier Creek Lodge on Blackcomb

Try and get hold of a copy of this book - The Ski and Snowbaord Guide to Whistler (Intermediate Edition) by Brian Finestone and Kevin Hodder. Intermediate Ski and Snowboard Guide to Whistler. It's THE bible describing all the runs - how steep, busy, narrow, awesome, bumpy etc. It also includes tips on where to ski in bad weather, and how to progress (from easier to more difficult) areas around the mountains. There's also an Advanced/Expert Edition.

I see that you're only there for a couple of days so, according to the book, here's their recommended progressive list of zones:

Blackcomb:
Beginner Terrain - Magic Chair and Catskinner Chair
Low-End Intermediate Terrain - Excelerator Chair and Wizard Chair
Advanced Intermediate -Solar Coaster, Jersey Cream and 7th Heaven
High-End Intermediate - 7th Heaven, T-Bars, Crystal

Whistler
Beginner Terrain - Olympic Station
Low-End Intermediate Terrain -Emerald Express, Lower Whistler Village Gondola
Advanced Intermediate -Big Red, Garbanzo, Creekside Gondola
High-End Intermediate - T-Bars, Harmony Express, The Peak Chair

Do let us know how you get on!

Thanks so much for the recommendations and quick synopsis of the book's recommendations for runs.

Can someone explain what "download" means in skiing terms?

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your insights with me.

Christy

Angel Diva
Taking the gondola down rather than skiing to the bottom. I have done that many many times since snow quality can be poor down there. At the end of the day you get everyone funneling down ( especially on the run to Whistler Village) and the runs get very busy too. Not a great combo when the snow is poor and your legs are tired. But if I end the day a little early and it's been cold and snowy I will ski to the bottom.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A word of warning: Horstman House is ski-in but it's definitely not ski-out! Shouldn't be a problem since it has its own shuttle.

1. Rental tips: Renting from the mountain itself is expensive (but there is a 20% discount if you have an Epic pass) BUT very convenient - you can check it in for free overnight & I think you can have it sent to Whistler if you rented on Blackcomb etc. Best to call customer service and confirm though.
Black Tie will bring skis to your condo to fit, which is cushy.
Spicy is the best value & there is a shop at Blackcomb base.

All will let you pickup from ~3pm the after before your rental official starts.

2. The reservation system for mountain restaurants is no longer in effect this year. You should be okay since it's midweek but just for reference: Chic Pea or Pikas (downstairs part of Roundhouse) are the best options on Whistler side, Glacier Creek is better than Rendezvous over on Blackcomb.

2b: I am not sure the guided tours still exist: the consensus in the subreddit is that Vail cancelled the program (no-one has seen signs for it on the mountain, although I did ski past a group just after 11am last Weds outside the Roundhouse that *might* have been the hosted groups.)

3. Check the freezing level on the weather report: this will help prepare you for the snow conditions. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/snow-and-weather-report.aspx.
e.g for Monday 20th, the freezing level is at 1200m. With overnight temps of -6C, that means that just below mid-station the snow may have melted during the previous day & refrozen overnight, so it will be icy in the morning (not a problem coming from Ontario!) granular mid-day and sticky or even slushy in the afternoon.

Most of the time the challenge isn't skiing in powder, it's skiing in the aftermath of several thousand people skiing through 10cm of heavy, wettish snow, so even groomed runs have many sections that are ~halfway to forming moguls.

3b. Apropos of weather: Do not freak out when you are riding the gondola up & you pass through clouds. Quite often it will be perfectly clear up top with a band of fog around the middle - on those days, the high alpine can be really enjoyable. Just keep an eye on the clouds moving in because it's unnerving to be in the Alpine when it's totally foggy. Be prepared to ski with poles dragging on the ground to help with your orientation if you get enveloped in fog in the alpine. Otherwise stick to runs with trees on either side for better vis/definition.

4. If you are really nervous about the difficulty of the mountain, start on Whistler instead of Blackcomb. Mid-week the Whistler gondola queue should be fine, otherwise take the Blackcomb gondola up & then Peak to Peak over. To add to Christy's excellent advice:
a) Warm up with laps of the Emerald Chair. Upper & Lower Whiskey Jack and/or Ego Bowl are the easiest. Marmot has one short steepish section that gets mogulled up very quickly. The progression is then to Green Acres, which has been relabelled as a blue this year (but I heard instructors referring to it as a turquoise/teal as it's mostly green in nature BUT has a short pitch that again, gets tons of moguls.)

I would then do Red chair - lots of nice blues on that one. Then I would progress to Harmony, *if* it's a clear day, Harmony Ridge being particularly lovely (but see my comments about fog in the high alpine). Note that Symphony & Harmony chairs close early at 2:30 because it's a bit of a trek to get back to the main area in Whistler. They also seem to have the worst lines - on Tues last week and I had zero lines at Emerald and 20min wait at Harmony

The Saddle was upgraded to black this year, which feels right as it was always steeper than Raven (a short groomed black off Garbanzo) - apparently the receding glacier has made it even steeper. There's a convex roll at the top which is pretty unnerving as you can't see over the edge.

On Blackcomb, the progression is: Easy Out (Catskinner chair) and then straight to blue runs, with Wishbone being the teaching zone blue that has more ski patrol slow zones. There *are* other green runs but they are cattracks & not much fun. Of course, what I call icy you might find totally okay, in which case there is a green run all the way from the top of 7th Heaven that might be fun in good weather.

My caveats on the progression that Cygnet listed above is that with the decline in quality of piste grooming under Vail, what are listed as lower intermediate runs off Excelerator are highly dependent on freezing level and/or the amount of snow that has fallen. Too often it's piles of mushy crud with skied off hardpack between. Note that the guide was written before the Blackcomb gondola opened, so Wizard = lower Blackcomb gondola (Grub Stake is a particularly mellow blue - I like to ski this one as the home run at the end of the day). The top of ZigZag is nice but the bottom half is meh.

Wishbone is the teaching zone blue - there's a weird pitch right in the middle before Cruiser splits off that is always cruddy with nascent moguls forming, but otherwise okay. Jersey Cream is probably the most reliable chair in terms of quality of snow & length of queue for the chair (it starts off as alpine & the entry is a little icy/mogully but quickly flattens out). The blues in Crystal are the nicest, even if they are listed as being the most difficult (some of the entrances have been resculpted to be easier than when the book was originally written.) Ridge Runner is always really well groomed, Rock'n'Roll to Backstage Pass is great when groomed, but that's only M/W/F, although the first pitch is pretty steep. The blues in 7th are definitely the most difficult - I always have a brief moment of freaking out at the start.

Hope this long ramble is helpful - feel free to PM me with any specific questions!

kiki

Angel Diva
Lots of good tips here, not much left for me!

Personally I much prefer Blackcomb, the whistler side is very « angly » and also crowded, Blackcomb is a bit more laid back and you can see where you are going. On that side the Jersey cream blue run is really nice, as are Ross’s gold and spring board for nice blues in the mid mountain area.

I normally do not ski down as the bottom can have poor conditions in comparison to the top and gets congested in the 3 pm download

If you have goggles for low light do bring them, the low light conditions are frequent.

in upper village my go to place for to go meal is portobellos, they have a really good chicken pot pie, and also if you want food in the fridge for a few days they have a whole chicken dinner meal.

I would recommend pre-reserving your rentals.

you no longer have to reserve on mountain for the main cafeterias. If it is crowded just look for empty chairs and join others as the tables are communal. The Thai food at Rendezvous is my favorite though Mexican is very popular. I hear there is a great salad bar option at Glacier creek for lunch (on mountain) as well (will be checking it out soon!)

If you get up to the waffle hut do splurge on the waffles with strawberries bacon and chocolate!

wishing you an awesome vacation!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you no longer have to reserve on mountain for the main cafeterias. If it is crowded just look for empty chairs and join others as the tables are communal. The Thai food at Rendezvous is my favorite though Mexican is very popular. I hear there is a great salad bar option at Glacier creek for lunch (on mountain) as well (will be checking it out soon!)

If you get up to the waffle hut do splurge on the waffles with strawberries bacon and chocolate!

wishing you an awesome vacation!
Oh yeah: Glacier Creek has a new range of grain bowls which are *much* better value than some of the other options. Never get soup at WB: in Jan I had a chicken noodle soup that had about 1tsp of actual chicken meat in it and maybe 2tbsp worth of noodles. Compare that at $12-13 with $16 (with season pass discount) for a huge bowl of brown rice mixed with lentils, about 1c worth of roasted cauliflower, good amount of feta cheese & sunflower seeds & dried cranberries mixed in, sitting on a generous base of mesclun greens.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're getting groceries from FreshSt in the village (the former IGA in Marketplace), grab a copy of Pique magazine from stand outside as there is a $10 off coupon if you spend $100. It is **extremely** easy to end up spending $100 there, as prices are eyewatering to say the least.

The Independent in Squamish is just a Loblaws, with typical Loblaws pricing ie not terribly cheap, but definitely cheaper than Whistler. Fresh St is a very upscale smaller local chain, so that further biases the prices upwards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna