• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to ski in Europe

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
I posted this originally in family travel, and then thought it would be better asked in the resort forum.

We are hoping to take our 12 y.o. DS skiing in Europe this year, and we are considering either the Dolomites (colfosco) or St. Anton/Lech. We are planning a mid-March sky trip, one week before the Spring break of European schools. Looking for a recommendation as to which would be more suitable.

DS is an intermediate skier, but he fractured his leg skiing in Park City last year, so may be more timid than before. We plan on skiing Sugarbush, Vermont over President's weekend (Christmas plans were a bust due to lack of snow in the East) and getting him a private lesson. DH and I have skied Switzerland, France and Solden, Austria (the latter with minimal snow). DH is advanced intermediate/advanced and I am an expert (but with aging knees).

DH is concerned that we will be bored in Italy, but I am concerned with DS having good instruction at least part of the time, perhaps with other kids if there is an english speaking class. In the past, he has loved glade skiing, which is not a strength of Europe. Of course, we could throw France back into the mix (I am bilingual and DH has fairly good comprehension), but we were drawn to trying something different.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Why not Chamonix if you throw France back into the mix? I have stayed in chalets (Valley Fever is a good one) that are really close to the slopes. There are about five areas there and really fun. Also, skied in Wengen , Switzerland which is a great family area with lots of options for all levels...

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
I've skied in both Lech and the Dolomites - we stayed in Corvara very near Colfosco. That part of the Dolomites is ideal intermediate terrain - very beautiful. Lech has more advanced/expert skiing. Skiing in St Anton is challenging. If you stay in Lech you can always get the bus to St Anton for the day. I think that Colfosco/Corvara closes a few week searlier than Lech. I can recommend places to stay in both Lech and Corvara.

Do have a look at 'Where to ski and snowboard' - their resort summaries are comprehensive and pretty accurate. https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/
(You may need to look up Corvara rather than Colfosco)
This will also help you if you want to broaden your search!!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been to St Anton, Chamonix and a few resorts in the Dolomites. For me The Dolomites are the most beautiful, stunning scenery, good food, friendly people and good piste skiing. There is decent off piste but it is not as obvious as in some other areas and possibly not something you might want to do on your own if you don't know the area?

St Anton is also beautiful, really nice village, good piste skiing and good off piste and lots of easily accessible off piste, between the pistes etc. as well as the more gnarly or off the beaten track stuff. If you are happy bussing about you can extend your skiing to Lech like @Cygnet says above. I love Austria in general and St Anton was a typical scenic Austrian village, albeit at the upper end of the market :smile:

Chamonix is also a great village and had a great atmosphere, it was a fantastic place to visit for mountain lovers and had a real sense of history. Chamonix is very spread out though and you are going to have to use the buses if you want to ski all the different areas. The different areas all have a different feel to them but to me, Chamonix would be a bit of a waste if you are planning on skiing mostly on piste as there is so much off piste. We had planned to hire a guide when we went but there were just entire bowls with one piste running down the middle and the rest left ungroomed so it was really easy to ski off piste all day without having much local knowledge.

one thing to remember in all resorts, the minute you are off a groomed or marked trail you need to be able to judge yourself if it is safe, some slopes will be avalanche controlled if they would slide onto a piste but the majority of the ungroomed you see is not.

Have fun anyway, great choices and not sure you would go wrong with either, don't worry about the language either, people are generally very friendly and in the bigger resorts you mention will often have pretty decent English although they do appreciate you making an effort :smile: I'm not 100% sure but my feeling is you would find more lessons in English for your son in France as it is the most popular country with Brit skiers out of the 3 you mention.

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for all the wonderful commentaries. I forgot to mention that DH has been to Chamonix twice (when single, at Club Med) and prefers to try something new. He also speaks German and lived in Austria for a year (but didn't ski at the time).

I had considered Peissey Valandry club Med, (Les Arcs/La Plagne) but it is unlikely to have many kids since it is before the European Holidays. Similarly, we had looked at Pragelato Via Lattea Club Med, but same kid issue. DH, to his credit, said that at least I would have skiers at my level, instead of waiting for him! Any feedback on these resorts?

If we go off piste, I would certainly hire a guide.
I am so torn! The relaxed Italian attitude and food is so appealing, but it sounds like the skiing in St. Anton would be more interesting. Any thoughts as to what would be better with a tween? BTW, he has a growth delay, so is quite small and very light for his age, but a great traveler.

Anyone know about connections to reach the Dolomites? I know we can fly direct to Zurich, then train or bus to St Anton, but transfer to the Corvara/Colfosco seems more arduous.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
For the Dolomites we flew to Venice Marco Polo Airport. (Another option is Innsbruck). Here's a link to the various transport options from Venice airport https://www.veniceairport.it/en/transport/mountains.html

For one holiday we used the Cortina Express - a very efficient, inexpensive scheduled coach service to/from Corvara. Friends of ours had a private transfer. When we stayed in a catered chalet run by Colletts (see https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/ ) they organised transfers for all their guests from either Innsbruck or Venice.

It is a long transfer from Venice - ~3hrs.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were booking now, then I'd stay up high, there hasn't been much snow. Actually, I'd go out West as they are having an epic snow year.

All that said, all things being equal, I love the Milky Way region - Sauze D'Oulx - super relaxed, even more than the Dolomites. I stay mid mountain at Orso Bianco, great value for money - lifts are 20 yards from the boot room. Food is the best - oh so nice, so much tree skiing too, and all the little refugios....

We'll be there 27 Feb for a week - winter is starting, so hoping it will have properly arrived by the time we arrive.. Also, Bardonecchia is nice, and lest you forget the Aosta Valley - 90 minutes from Milan, ez-pz transfer - opposed to the Dolomites, which is truly hell... If doing the Dolomites, I'd go for the Innsbruck or Munich transfer, more freeway before you hit the winding roads.

For Milky Way, Turin is the best airport.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I stayed in Aosta Valley for a week in 2010 and skied the resorts around there...
Pila, La Thuille, Monterosa, Cervinia.... super lovely village in Aosta...

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of Italy. I'm more familiar with the Milky way and Aosta valley than the Dolomites which are on my todo without flu next time list!. Broadly speaking I've found the Italian resorts more family friendly and better value for money than the larger French resorts (small villages are a delight anywhere though) The lessons I have had in Italy(Sauze d'oulx, La Thuile, Courmayeur) have been in English all the time, not so in France where there was a lengthy explanation(in French) followed by 2 lines of English and "follow me"! (La Rosiere and VDI).
Check out the ski club of Great Britain website for reviews and information on European resorts, you don't need to be a member to access a lot of the info there.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Check out the ski club of Great Britain website for reviews and information on European resorts, you don't need to be a member to access a lot of the info there.[/QUOTE]

I've gone on several trips with the Ski Club of Great Britain as have a friend with family in England....They usually stay in chalets and are really fun.. Also did a trip with them to Tignes/Val d'Isere in 2009.....

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
We are going to hold off on booking anything yet, given the weather. Dolomites and Milky Way are looking extremely thin, and badly in need of snow. St. Anton is faring much better, but of course, as said above, the West is killing it this year. Since we are locked into traveling mid-March due to school vacation, I will wait to make a decision until the beginning of February at least. It is one of the rare occasions where DH can take more than one week off, so we are hoping to combine it with a visit to a city as well, hence Europe as a consideration.

Is Collett's Mountain Holidays like Scott Dunn? These are British companies that I am not familiar with. I have been conversing with Alpine Adventures here in the US for individual ski trips in Europe.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've also taken trips to Europe with Alpine Adventures.... They're good too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Only used Ski Club of Great Britain and Alpine Adventures....

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry, meant alpine compared to ski club of great britain. Thinking in terms of family friendly....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Stayed in chalets (all adults) with Ski Club of Great Britain so really can't compare... Stayed in hotels/etc with Alpine Adventures and booked through US through a friend's ski club a few times.....once again mostly adults. I will tell you that in 2014 I did a trip to Wengen in Switzerland (tons of kids - great for families) and Chamonix (stayed in British run chalet)... Both were great trips but couldn't help but notice all the families in Wengen (Jungfrau region in Switzerland)... Did these on my own ....did not book through travel companies..

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi bawc,

I am late with my answer but as your decision is only to be made I just want to add my thoughts:
as said the South, so the Dolomites and all of Italy, are not having any snow so far. Yes, they are experts in man made snow but at the moment I would not travel there.

I spend a lot of time in Austria (Salzburger Land) so if you think about that region I can help :smile:
Not much snow yet but winter has started and most resorts are (almost) fully operated. For on-piste it is great fun, for off-piste it is now starting.

I cannot comment on the British or Alpine ski club but in terms of local ski schools I'd say that it is more likely to get a proper English lesson in Austria or Switzerland than in Italy or France. France with the exception of Chamonix, of course. In any case you should contact the ski school prior to departure to ask for an English course.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
have you skied Bad Gastein? Was there in 2011 and really fun..

Yes, I know the whole valley - it's lovely!
To be fair I usually go up to Sportgastein when I am there as I try to ski as much off piste as possible.
Where did you stay? And how came Gastein on your radar?? (Sorry, curious :redface: )

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi... a friend of mine in Texas used to go on European trips with her ski club and I got in on it several years... Think it was booked through Alpine Adventures... Honestly, I never heard of Bad Gastein but did a ton of skiing at all those "xxxxgastein" places. One day we did an on piste/off piste ski safari with a guide almost to Salzburg... or that's what they said if it's even possible to do? Think we hopped on a couple of shuttles in between... on the same trip went to Berlin (first) for a few days and LOVED it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga