• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When your new skis make you faster than your husband

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I used to ski when we first met, although never terribly seriously. We were both pretty fit and could easily ski all blue and most single black diamond runs. He was always a bit faster than me but was happy to wait at the bottom of the run. We spent our first Valentine's day together on the slopes. We started skiing again a couple of years ago and I bought us both new skis last year, the Fischer Vision 70's for me and the Dynastar Legend 8000 for him. I also took a couple of private lessons last year to help me figure out the new skis. For the first time in many years we had friends to watch our kids and we skied together at Squaw Valley this weekend. Despite having small kids (who ski!) we still stay pretty fit and I thought once again we would ski at the same level. But, I dusted him speedwise, I'm not sure what happened. The Vision's really hold an edge and I feel much more secure in the hardpack and also doing the bumps. I also took him up Granite Chief at Squaw, which I had skied earlier in the day when our daughter was taking a lesson, and nearly lost him. It's STEEP, and he's been skiing the bunny slopes with our toddler. I felt terrible, he lost his poles about 10 yards up the hill and had to wait for someone to bring them down. He was a good sport about it all and we skied over and did blue runs the rest of the afternoon. There's no way he's going to do lessons, but I want to keep skiing those diamonds. I'm hooked.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Valli, this is a bit similar to what I'm experiencing with my DH.
He taught me how to ski, and though he has come to the realization that I'm more passionate about it, have taken a few lessons, and have definitely surpassed him on skill, he keeps acting surprised when I am faster, and more aggressive on terrain that he used kick my butt on.
My progress may be slightly due to gear, but mostly improved technique.

The good news is that he seems to be sort of proud of me and my advancement.
The bad news is that he tends to ski with me less frequently, which leads me to believe that his ego is slightly bruised.

Will DH take a lesson, or join me at a clinic? :ROTF:

I guess he'll have to get used to being married to a SkiDiva:ski2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
That's always an interesting aspect of a skiing marriage!
In general, I tend to be a faster skier than DH (who always has better technique, however). On busy days, I always ask him to ski behind me for safety reasons, and sometimes he says he has to really hustle. But he's always happy for my "smokin'" days (not all are), as he was (old story) my first ski instructor :smile:

For us, the real competition is endurance tests. This is when we know we're in the season groove. For anyone familiar with Sunday River (ME), warm-up run is non-stop on Obsession, followed by non-stop on White Heat, first thing in the a.m.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
My sweetie is an awesome skier. He does it all. He's also VERY fast. He's probably got about 45 pounds on me & he's about 6'2". We ski the same ski, mine 2 sizes smaller. No matter what I do, he's quicker. Mostly because he's heavier.

However, the endurance thing is where I'm beginning to kick his butt. It's a pretty long top to bottom at our mountains. We typically stop a few times to catch up with each other, pick trails, etc. etc. What I'm noticing lately is my endurance is WAY up. Especially on our first warm-up run...which my sweetie is NOTORIOUS for making it one of the hardest runs of the day...I've come to accept this & try to go as fast as possible & give him a taste of his own medicine.

So it's not just speed, it's endurance. Kind of like endurance horseback trail riding. Just because your horse finishes first - doesn't necessarily mean you win. It's the horse that finishes in the best physical condition (and time is a factor too) that wins.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hehehe. I was in this situation for a while, but it wasn't quite the new skis that were making me faster.

Now that he's got new properly fitted boots he's back to being faster than me - which he should be, since he's taller, heavier, on longer skis and been skiing at least 10 years longer than me! However I usually make him go first down the hill - for one I feel less self conscious if I'm sure I'm not being watched, two I can then push myself to keep up with him!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have heard rumors that few can keep up with certain of our petite members: Ski Diva herself and Quiver Queen, to name 2. Both are "munchkins" :smile: (no offense intended, nothing but props!)

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
While I'm sure that neither my hubby nor I could keep up with Ski Diva and Quiver Queen (we're just not in their league), he was always waiting for me at the bottom of the run. That is...until I got on a pair of Auras and toasted him down the hill. Needless to say, I ordered a pair that night!:becky:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When he first started, he was better than me within one season. But, after our daughter arrived, he liked sleeping better than skiing, so he skied less often. Now he doesn't even come to the hill. So, heck yeah, I'm beating him and it has nothing to do with the skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga