• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When DID you start skiing this season?

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This past Friday and Saturday. Finally! Mountain had nice man-made snow, then it rained last week, and became typical New England winter conditions - dust on crust.

Between kids and things...I only get a couple hours in per day. DD1 hates her new skis, returned back to her old ones (err...). DD2 loves her new skis. Magic Carpet wasn't open yet, so DS (3yo) was between our legs, etc... for 2 days. My time to ski solo was from about 1pm - 3:30 on Saturday, and even the side of the trails were getting scratchy by then.

But I got my groove back, getting my lower back and abs back into shape - had some nice big moguls to help with that lol. Slacked off on exercise too much this summer/fall. Sunday I was supposed to ski the afternoon...but got a toothache which really bothered me after skiing on Saturday, and didn't want to go Sunday...sigh... Had a root canal yesterday, so I'm good to go for this weekend lol.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well it was supposed to be today! The friend I was going with just called and is sick, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow....blegghhhh.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I agree. You should go anyway! Which makes me wonder (and maybe this is a different thread?) how many Divas are happy to ski alone. I go solo from time to time if conditions are great and can't find anyone free that day. And I usually thoroughly enjoy it - can go anywhere I like, as fast or slow as I like - and often meet lots of interesting people on the lift.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. You should go anyway! Which makes me wonder (and maybe this is a different thread?) how many Divas are happy to ski alone. I go solo from time to time if conditions are great and can't find anyone free that day. And I usually thoroughly enjoy it - can go anywhere I like, as fast or slow as I like - and often meet lots of interesting people on the lift.
I'm happy when I get to ski to my ability. I'm often with my young kids, and spend the day on blues/greens, with maybe one black thrown in if I'm lucky. I'll get an hour or two to ski solo at time, and then I usually prefer going alone. I mentioned in another post that many skiers I know love to just go fast and cruise down hardpack. I like moguls, so if I ski with them I'm either holding them up at the bottom or am going down trails I'd rather not. I can ski cruisers perfectly fine, whereas many folks don't like to ski moguls, so I'm at their mercy lol. The rare chance I get to ski with hubby is the BEST! We are totally compatible, both experts and both love the same exact stuff. But total hours together per season is up around 8-10 hours...yes...you read that right. Those hours are GOLD, and we don't want to waste them eating or socializing or skiing with others. This season my oldest is nearly 13yo, and capable of watching the younger 2 in the lodge, or at home if the 3yo is napping, so we hope to get more time together. Lil guy is enrolled in the 9-noon ski program this year, so the other 4 of us can ski together, or maybe just DH and I. We'll see. Last year we had a day or two with visitors that could have watched the kids, but one day DH got sick, the next I was sick. Hate that ski season coincides with cold/virus season!

I think next year could be a break-out year for DH and I. DD1 will be nearly 14yo and we'll be able to trust her more. I could be a worry wart, but with a woodstove in our ski house and a devilish 3yo boy, I'm not quite certain she should be forced into that responsibility yet. She's fine watching the 8yo, but the 3yo is pushing it. That woodstove just worries me.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually ski by myself a bunch and really enjoy it. This was going to be a special trip with 2 friends though. Our mountain doesn't open until tomorrow, so we were going to drive up to Loveland (about 2 hrs) to ski there today. The roads are kind of dicey up there, the wind is howling and it's freezing, so the two of us that are healthy decided to put it off.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
I am so envious of all you divas who are already on skis. My Mount Washington still has grass! Whaaa. Still waiting for the white stuff....

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
My four November days in North Carolina were awesome. But early Saturday morning we fly to Colorada for Crescent Ski Council's 25 annual weeklong race camp at Steamboat and it looks like they don't have nearly as much snow as NC!!!! Aaaccckkk! :frusty:

stef

Certified Ski Diva
We skied on opening day, November 21. We already have 7 days in this year and are looking forward to a trip to Colorado later this month.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today finally! We only took about 4 runs and the conditions were sketchy, but it felt really good!

Grace Elventhing

Certified Ski Diva
This past Monday, finally! There is surprisingly decent coverage in Little Cottonwood. And Alta as always has some lovely snow, if you avoid those icicle-launching guns they've got going on the main thoroughfares. Still waiting for the Giant Shaker In The Sky to turn on and give us a really good dump.

To echo others' comments, I enjoy skiing alone as well. When I do, however, I tend to stay out of the more challenging terrain, especially tight trees. Fearful of getting conked out and becoming a Grace-scicle, I guess. :faint:

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YAY!! I finally got out today!!! We were only there for about 3 hours, and I only got to do two runs by myself, but I was out there! And I am so in love with my skiis again!!! The cast didn't slow me down at all either! :smile:

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great news!

But be careful out there. :smile:

How much longer for the cast?

On the 11th (Thursday - 5 more days!!!) I go back for my re-assessment. At which point I will likely be given a half cast that I have to wrap with a tensor bandage for another 3 weeks. But it's way better than this full cast!! :thumbsup: :clap:

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied today! It was my first day out for the season and I skied mostly on ice at Okemo in Vermont. But I got to check out my new skis! Whoo Hoo!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was my first day. Went to Wachusett on a free ticket. Fair amount of ice and dust on crust, too many ski teams practicing by zipping among the other skiers. Not ideal by any measure, but a great day and my season has started!! Yippee!! Best of all it was lightly snowing the whole time!

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
Started this weekend - up for a few hours on Saturday to our home "hill". They had a few trails open - two EASY greens, the small Blue terrain park, a small Black connector and the long Black and the bumps (ie unapproachable!). Worked on getting the ski legs back under me. Went again yesterday and sprung for a lesson (this is my year to master true parallel turns on even the scarey stuff). We planned to stay just for the morning again, but then they got Lazy Mile (one of my favorites on the mountain - a nice cruisery blue with one sort-a steep and two really nice turns) open, so we stayed till almost 3! It was a great first weekend :smile: :thumbsup:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from my trip to Sugarloaf! It was awesome and we were blessed with some truly good conditions for so early in the season. We skied over 100k vertical feet in 4 days (I know, I don't usually track that but the gearheads I was with are all about tracking that info for a trip so I just stole their data).

The conditions had a little bit of everything, good packed powder groomers, some icy spots as the weekend went on, heavy thicker wet mashed tater snow on the warmer day, and even 'fresh' snow from the snowguns up at the top of the mountain! The folks I was with that have gone there every early season for the last 15 years say they can't remember skiing all the way down from the summit so early, so it must have been a good weekend! Add to that Sugarloaf gave free 1 1/2 hour lessons every day and we got to start the season with lessons.

I think it's gonna be a good season!!:ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga