• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's the best advice you ever got from your mother?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
In tribute to Mother's Day:

I'm sure many of us have received priceless pearls of wisdom from our moms. So why not give everyone the benefit? Post 'em here.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got these two shockers from female relatives ..... :doh:

From my Great-Aunt (think very British Governess):-
Be good. If you can't be good, be careful. And if you can't be careful, remember the date.

From my Grandmother (sweet Irish lady who only drinks to empty the bottles so we can tidy up):-
Don't drink and drive. Take drugs and fly.

I don't have a one-liner from my mum, but she's given me plenty of good steers and cheers.

"never be entirely dependent on a man for financial support, have a career and be able to support yourself and your children"

:becky:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the things you worry about the most don't happen--it's the other stuff that blindsides you.

Kids are tough---you can't ruin them--just be sure to drag them to church (kind of her philosophy of raising all of us hooligans).

altagirl

Staff member
My grandmother said "Don't have children unless you decide you really, really want them. You're lucky to have all the opportunities you have to do what you want with your life, so take advantage of it!"

I got lots of love and support from my mom, but can't think of a good quote right now...

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my kids were really young, my mother told me not to worry about getting too many other things done ... "You can't do it all, so don't even try." That took a lot of pressure off. (Maybe too much, lol)

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Can't recall anything specific from my mom, but I gave our two daughters three bits of advice (sort of in jest): practise safe sex, floss every day, and start your RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan in Canada) young. Our daughters (now 34 and 32, both of whom now have daughters of their own) often remind me of these - I think they got a real kick out of them.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not from my mom, but from a friend's:

Act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog and you'll do just fine!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to do a lot of canning, then one year I was worried about the stuff I didn't have time to harvest from my garden and my mom said:

Better to let it rot on the ground for soil nutrients than to rot in your pantry when you're too exhausted from picking it to put it up.

From grandma(best advice ever, when I got engaged)
#1 - Write everything down that he does that annoys you
Then write down everything you're going to do to change your attitude about each and every one of those things, because he ain't changing!

#2 - Don't expect much from your husband, that way you won't be disappointed.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two gems from my mom:

1) Don't have more kids than you've got hands

and

2) Being short is better than being tall because if you're short you can date the tall guys and the short guys (we're both quite short)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Know when - and how - to listen.

(Thanks, Mom. RIP, gone 6 years.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna