• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What winter boot are you wearing

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I need to buy new winter boots. What do you wear to and from the mountain, that is also good for around town, running errands?

Jilly

Staff member
I wear gore tex hiking shoes. I wear them to work even. But if it's really cold and I need to stand around at the mountain, Columbia Bugaboos.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got North Face Abby boots I've been very happy with. Not bulky, but still very warm and waterproof.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a pair of Sorel boots (similar to what Pinto has in the other thread). Easy to slip on and off for skiing, very warm and good traction for ice and snow...a bit stylish, so I wear them alot in the winter!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have these Sorel boots. I like them for the same reasons @Powgirl mentioned. I've even worn them snowshoeing when I didn't have other options but they don't have great ankle support for hiking since they're more around town boots. Now I have a pair of waterproof hiking boots that I can pair with gaiters for snowshoeing. I like that they the Sorels are very waterproof (they're awesome for spring ski lots when there's mud everywhere) and they are only lightly insulated so I can just layer with whatever socks I need depending on the temps.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When the parking lots are dry I love my Ugg boots but on icy snowy days I used an older version of Merrill snow boots. However, after injuring the peroneal tendon I couldn't wear them, too stiff and too much arch support built into the midsole of the shoe. I got tired of slipping and sliding in the Uggs so I went on a search for new boots. I found this review, https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Winter-Boots-Womens-Reviews/ratings, so I used it as my guide. Due to the injury I was particular about too much arch support, stiffness and heel drop which isn't covered in the article. I did get an idea about warmth, waterproofness, etc. Initially I was thinking of buying the Ugg Adirondack II in the kid's version but I couldn't find them to try on and I heard the company has added more support to their shoes.

I went to REI and tried on the Sorel Tivolli II mid snow boot. I loved the look and fit but after wearing it a while my ankle started to complain and I was concerned about the heel height. I also tried on the Merrel Capra Glacial. It would have served my needs for snowshowing but it was very stiff, and had too much support. My ankle started screaming after I had it on for just a few minutes. The best fitting and most comfortable was the Anhu Montera. I wound up buying it for spring and fall hiking. The boot is flexible, doesn't have a lot of arch support, has a fairly low heel to toe drop, fits comfortably over my high instep, is roomy in the toes and is waterproof. I normally wear a 5.5 in running shoes but did size up to a 6. It fits well with my hiking socks. It also comes in a winter version called the Montera Lux winter.

Wearing a hiking boot to plays or out to dinner doesn't quite fit my style so I was still on the search for a winter boot that was less hiking oriented but warm. With my ankle injury I've been pretty happy wearing Clark shoes. This week I got the Clark Tri Arc GTX boots. They are ankle height, made of Goretex, have a decent amount of flex and not much arch support built into them. I'm concerned about the heel-to-toe drop but I'm not planning on hiking in them so we'll see. They are fully lined inside, I did go up a half size but they feel tight with my heavier wool socks. A lighter sock may be all I need due to the warm lining. I'm also not sure how good the traction will be on these.

There is another company called Icebug that specializes in winter boots. The soles are designed specifically for traction on ice and snow. I was really interested in them but the smallest size I could find was a 6.5 so I couldn't tell anything about fit. I also couldn't find any information on heel-toe drop, footbed design etc. so I gave up on that band.

If you look at REI's website under the boot category there is quite a good selection of winter boots. Also, sites like Amazon have very good reviews of boots and shoes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Merrell that lasted me about 3 ski seasons now and I really like them. The only issue I had was the zipper loop (the part of the zipper you use to pull it up or down) fell off and I put in a loop of wire instead. I also had a pair of Sorel tall boots (Tofino model I think), but on those a seam fell apart after about 2 seasons. This summer I bought a pair of short (slightly above ankle) Keen Elsa boots on sale, no idea how they will hold up but they are comfy and cute when I tried them on.
Keen boots I got:
https://www.ems.com/keen-womens-elsa-boots/1297211.html

I didn't buy mine from EMS, btw.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm.. whatever happened to my Merrill Jungle Mocs? Those were great. Mine were powder blue suede (waterproofed)

I had a pair of brown suede ones. Loved them. Wore them to the hot tubs by my old condo at Breck and someone stole them while I was in the hot tub! I had to walk back to my condo bare foot, in the snow. It was awful. Never found them. Now I have a pair of red Keen versions of the jungle moc.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Wore them to the hot tubs by my old condo at Breck and someone stole them while I was in the hot tub! I had to walk back to my condo bare foot, in the snow. It was awful. Never found them.

Ugh. That is beyond rude.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had a pair of brown suede ones. Loved them. Wore them to the hot tubs by my old condo at Breck and someone stole them while I was in the hot tub! I had to walk back to my condo bare foot, in the snow. It was awful. Never found them. Now I have a pair of red Keen versions of the jungle moc.
Obviously I "liked" the idea of your red Keens. Not of the fact that some jerk stole them!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
+1 on Columbia Bugaboot for when it's really cold
otherwise, I live in my Vasque Breeze hikers all year round.

In early/late season I'll wear my sneakers or hiking shoes. I have older pair of Uggs that's one step away from being tossed that I wear when my walking path will be dry.

Otherwise my daily shoe when traipsing to/from my Jeep to the resort is a pair of duck boots. Can't recall the manufacturer but they are similar to this

1_330133_ZM.JPG

Otherwise if I'm going to be walking/standing outside for any length of time and i'll be cold out I'll wear my Sorel Joan of Arctic boots.

A__19179.1455899081.750.750.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Merrell Jungle Mocs are the gold standard, model has been around for like 15+ years. But make sure you get the waterproof ones for a few extra dollars.

I have ankle high Merrells that have an inside zipper, 5 years and going strong, more protection than the mocs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna