• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: What skis should I try?

Chaelynh

Diva in Training
Hey ladies!

I'm going to Breck in February and am looking to buy my first pair of skis after this season. I want to demo as many skis as possible while there so I figure out what I like. I am a 5'5", 170lb female. I have no clue what length or width I should be looking at. My husband and I make a couple trips out the Summit county to ski every year. I've only every skied on greens and blues, but I'm looking to advance this year with some lessons. I've got an appointment with Jeff Bergeron at boot fixation when I get there, so boots are covered. I'm looking to try anything, so let me know what you think! Thanks

Chae

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome to our world! Some additional questions that will help us all chime in. Do you ski anywhere else or is all western (Ie: Colorado) skiing? I'm thinking something in the mid fat range would probably be best if you ski mainly western conditions. I'm also thinking that the low 160's would probably be a good length for right now. As you progress you will want something longer, but if you are a progressing intermediate 160's will be a good stable length. I agree that demoing as many as possible is your best bet. Try to demo mid fats (82-90 mm waist) in all the major brands so that you that you can find what your like. Hit K2, Volkl, Blizzard, Rossignol, Nordica, whatever you can but stress that you are an intermediate skier. You don't want them to put you on a ski that is too advanced. What comes to mind for me is the Volkl Yumi, the Blizzard Black Pearl and the Brahma. I'm not really too current on Rossi or K2 so maybe some others can jump in.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome - any all mountain ski would be a good choice. Like mustski, I'm more familiar with only certain brands we see in our area, that being, Atomic, Rossi and Salomon. Atomic - the Vantage W 85 or 90 (which I hope to try on Wednesday), the Salomon Gemma or an X-Drive (unisex) and Rossi Temptation 84 or the Experience 84. Personally I think you might over power the Black Pearl, but keep it on the list.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I would say low to mid 160s - don't be afraid to try something in the upper 160s, especially if it has rocker, which it probably will. Something in an 80-some mm waist is a good all-around for someone who's mostly skiing groomers (I assume) in Colorado or Utah.

Also, as a non-featherweight skier, don't be afraid to try unisex/men's skis. A lot of - er, make that all - women's skis are made with the assumption that we are light.

Jeff is highly praised in Breck - I'm sure it will be a positive experience!

Chaelynh

Diva in Training
Thank you all for your replies! I have only skied in Colorado so far, and we plan to keep it that way for the next few years at least. It's an easy drive from KC. I am truly looking forward to having my first pair! Jilly, let me know how those vantages work out if you try them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna