• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What ski resorts are these?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
First photo taken about 5+ minutes into a westbound flight out of Manchester, NH. Second one at around 12 minutes. Driving me nuts, as I am now hunting down online trail maps to see what matches.
Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh...cool puzzle. But I've no idea. I just spent 15 minutes on Google Maps trying to figure out what ski areas are within "5-minute" and "12-minute" radii from Manchester airport and zooming in on satellite photos of a bunch of ski areas. My brain just doesn't do well with spatial relations, but the areas I looked at were Pats Peak, Crotched Mtn., Watchusett, Gunstock, and Sunapee.

:noidea:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So....What do you all think about Mt. Snow for the first one?

Bingo, P! Thanks. That's totally it. I might eventually have gotten to Sneaux map in my quest. I think I'm going to "flight aware" the trajectory of this flight today, which will give me a better idea of what direction the flight took/generally takes, in terms of identifying #2. Not much vertical on that, I was thinking Holiday Valley in western NY but the trail map didn't convince me. While not much vertical, it's a sizable, spread-out resort.

Fun, huh? One time I did DEN-SLC on a beautiful, clear day, and they VF'd I-70, could even see skiers on slope at Vail :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
When I fly into Toronto quite often we fly over the Barrie area. Lots of night skiing. Can't say I've seen skiers but......

Also flew back from France into Meribel years ago and flew right over St. Saveur at night again. Looks really strange from the air.

Jilly

Staff member
Holiday Valley and Ellicottville together.

Don't know how to get the Google map shot up.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Holiday Valley and Ellicottville together.

Don't know how to get the Google map shot up.

Ha, Jilly -- per usual, you and I are on "same page" :smile: Just google-mapped same. Apparently, flight was just east and north of this location.

Nor do I know how to copy the google map image - :becky: But at least this one was the resort I suspected, based on flight time, general direction of travel.

Mystery resort #1 solved, resort #2 nailed.
Fun!
Thanks all.

altagirl

Staff member
Ha, Jilly -- per usual, you and I are on "same page" :smile: Just google-mapped same. Apparently, flight was just east and north of this location.

Nor do I know how to copy the google map image - :becky: But at least this one was the resort I suspected, based on flight time, general direction of travel.

Mystery resort #1 solved, resort #2 nailed.
Fun!
Thanks all.

If you are on the online google maps site, I don't know how to easily copy/link to the image either (you could do a screen shot (print screen) and then paste it into another program where you could crop the edges of your screen off, and then save it but that's a pain). Or you could download the Google Earth program and that has an option to save the image as a .jpg.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First photo taken about 5+ minutes into a westbound flight out of Manchester, NH. Second one at around 12 minutes.

Is it really possible to fly all the way across NY State in about 7 minutes? Seems very fast! I know NY isn't nearly as big vis a vis the entire country as it seems when compared to the New England states, but still Boston - Chicago takes about what? 1 hr 45 or so? (It's been awhile since I've flown, admittedly)...
:confused:

altagirl

Staff member
Is it really possible to fly all the way across NY State in about 7 minutes? Seems very fast! I know NY isn't nearly as big vis a vis the entire country as it seems when compared to the New England states, but still Boston - Chicago takes about what? 1 hr 45 or so? (It's been awhile since I've flown, admittedly)...
:confused:

Heh, that's a good point! It didn't occur to me that those places were way over on the West side of NY. That would mean the plane was traveling at ~1815mph. (actually faster, that's just a direct point to point from Manchester to Elicottville and wouldn't account for any time not in a straight path or any time getting up to speed). I think the standard estimation is 500-600mph for passenger aircraft. Unless you were traveling in one of these, your timing must be off by a good bit:
SR71.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Eh, may have missed that time by a bit, i.e., maybe resort 2 was 12+-minutes after first. All I know is that I was pretty sure of the 2nd one based on its vertical and overall size....but thought, nah, couldn't be, not that soon after #1! :confused: Whatever. Did seem like it would takes several minutes longer to get to western NY state. We did solve the mystery, though, esp with #1, thanks, P, for that search mission! :smile: Fun to see this stuff from above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga