• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is your DIN?

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is quite the misconception of what constitutes skier type. Instead of looking at it as Beginner, Intermediate, or Expert skier types, it should be based on speeds you are skiing. Always skiing at slower than average speeds on easier terrain is Type 1, skiing at a variety of speeds on a variety of terrain is Type 2, always skiing aggressively at higher than average speeds is Type 3. The manufacturer's also allow a -1 or +3 setting for those that are either extremely cautious or racing at an elite level.

As a PSIA L3 instructor I have my bindings set as a type 2. I want my bindings to release if I get hit by an out of control beginner while I'm skiing at slower speeds, but they hold when I'm skiing aggressively-and yes I'm over 50, so the settings do decrease.

When you look at your DIN setting you must also realize that this is a starting point for the shop. If they have a computerized torque tester, they'll set the binding at the recommended setting to start with, and adjust up or down based on how the bindings actually test. Often times new Look/Rossignol bindings test very tight and I've had to set them down one number in order to get the torque reading "in range". So, even if your initial setting is a 5, don't assume that the shop is setting them too low if they put them at a 4 because they may have mechanically tested the binding. If a binding is older but still imdemnified by the manufacturer, the springs may have softened, and need to be cranked a little higher. Manufacturers allow settings to be adjusted 1 1/2 numbers in either direction to still be considered within range. Anything that tests out of that window is either worn and should be replaced, or may have an internal problem and should be sent back to the manufacturer if still under warranty.

I usually recommend that if you're unsure of your skier type, set it on the lower setting, and adjust up if you find yourself prereleasing.

Loes

Certified Ski Diva
And in the park? It super sucks when there are other people behind you, and you've gotta get in their way to get your crap, not cool. I just took my new twins (yaaay!) into the shop to get them mounted, and asked if they would set it at 8.

uhmm..... well.... I guess I am one of those annoying newbies in the park. The problem is: I want to learn a little sliding and jumping, but my coordination is terrible! This means: I fall often, very often! (I have this with every new sport or exercise I’m trying, the more I try the less I fall, but in the beginning, yucks).
So lowering my din in the park is necessary for me, when I fall I want to get rid of my skies as soon as possible to avoid weird twisting injuries.
I know this can be annoying, so I always go the little, more quiet, beginner parks (hoping that this can take away some irritation).

bumblebee: the practice at all the indoor skihalls in the Netherlands is terrible! I once took some lessons to practice carving. I borrowed the ski's from the hall. They were chest height! And while taking the lift one ski let loose out of nowhere (great mounting). :rolleyes:

What I really don't understand is that some people go into the funpark, practicing jumps with those ski's! (imagining someone flying through the air and loosing a ski in the air....ouch...)

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
dinsetting.com said mine should be at 10. They're at 9/9.5 or so. Never had a problem. Release when they should, stay on and perform otherwise.

This forum makes me sad now that my season's over. :(

And as my luck would have it, it's supposed to DUMP this weekend all over CO.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
dinsetting.com said mine should be at 10. They're at 9/9.5 or so. Never had a problem. Release when they should, stay on and perform otherwise.

This forum makes me sad now that my season's over. :(

And as my luck would have it, it's supposed to DUMP this weekend all over CO.

sadder still if one's far from Colorado!!!!!

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
uhmm..... well.... I guess I am one of those annoying newbies in the park.

I know this can be annoying, so I always go the little, more quiet, beginner parks (hoping that this can take away some irritation).

:( Didn't mean to put anyone in that box. You've got the right mentality, starting small and working your way up. It's hard at Bachelor to ski park this way though, because we only have two parks, and they're both medium/large features. My main concern is the people who go over the jumps, without park ettiquette, and spend foooooorrrrever in the landing of anything collecting stuff, getting it back on, hemming and hawing over the next feature. My point is, if your stuff comes off, or you crash, move quick if you're able to. That's all.

I'm all about people learning to ski park, including myself (when I can get myself to, HA!) it's just more about the park rules, and being considerate of the possible 20 rippers standing above you, with ants in their pants about hitting the box you just fell off of.

Also, I hate my skis coming off in the park, hah, I've landed on a binding or two in my life, I no like!!

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know someone who did that dancing! :smile:

I think bindings were originally design to prevent broken legs, not torn ACL.
True that -- as explained by the people behind a new binding, Knee Binding, designed to prevent ACL injuries. Any Divas had any real-life experience with this new technology? I'm curious, but it looks like no shops in my area are on the list to sell and service, or at least not yet...
https://www.kneebinding.com/

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
True that -- as explained by the people behind a new binding, Knee Binding, designed to prevent ACL injuries. Any Divas had any real-life experience with this new technology? I'm curious, but it looks like no shops in my area are on the list to sell and service, or at least not yet...
https://www.kneebinding.com/
IMHO the kneebinding is a great concept with some potential but I doubt that its ready for prime time just yet.

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, to Jilly for the link to previous discussion, and to SnowHot for her words of wisdom. I suppose there's an attraction to thinking there is a technological fix for problems, and I'm not sure that any technology out there would have helped me to avoid a nasty knee injury this year (acl, mcl, tibia plateau fracture), but staying off the hill when I new I was tired would have been a good start. I was just too tempted... Returning to the original topic of this thread, when I am able to return to skiing, I'm going to be more conscious of binding settings -- but hopefully not so much so that I don't have any fun. Sports like skiing involve risk, but remaining inactive is even more dangerous in the end.

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ sib...

Yeah, sorry, I guess my sarcasm didn't quite come across. Mostly I was joking because there's only so much that a calculator like that can do for you. I set them myself. :Hole:

Earlier in the season, to be ubersafe, I set them back to 6 and they kept coming off, set them back to 7.5, they kept coming off. Finally I just kept them where they are/were. I mean, if you are going to go faster you just have to crank them down a little more. 9 works for me. It doesn't matter, in my opinion, that I weigh 120#. What matters is what works well for the skier. I've had them come off appropriately enough times at their current setting to know that they aren't cranked dangerously high. On days with really dicey conditions (i.e. ice/ hard as a rock frozen crud), I do set them back to a 7.5 or 8, though. And there are times (esp on pow days) when I wish I'd cranked them up more. It's just important to be cognizant of what works for you.

Although, I do use a 6 or 7 setting for a demo day, since I don't really trust the way markers release (and they pretty much always have those on volkl and k2 demo skis) and I'd rather err on the side of caution (as someone mentioned above.)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have to set them at 9 to keep them from coming off when your actual DIN is 6.5, that tells me there's another problem somewhere. Have you had the forward pressure checked? What about having the springs tested?

Please do these things before just setting your own bindings!

I am very heavy and ski very, very fast (I race), yet I've never had to adjust my bindings more than 1/2 point past my recommended setting and am currently at 7 on my race skis, 6.5 on my rec skis.

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volklgirl- I had them spring tested at the beggining of the season, and they are a little low, but mostly consistent. The forward pressure is fine though. I think part of it is that they are fischer x17s (which are total overkill for me, I know, but I got them for free from a smitten dude, and who can resist free bindings?) they go from like 4 to 17, so I'm thinking they just work better closer to the middle of the spring. Also, my BSL is pretty short, so I think that contributes in some way. It's mostly for landing off little hucks and stuff that I have them up to 8.5/9. I don't think it's a problem, but maybe I should have them checked again?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you a fairly agressive skier, jessie? I ski at 8/9....

I'm a confident intermediate skier with a 5.5 setting that has worked well for me with my Marker and Head bindings. However I'm turning 50 this month and don't want to go down to a 4.5, so I'm going to circle Type III this season so I stay at 5.5.

50 50 50 50, got my AARP invitation yesterday in the mail! :laugh:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, my BSL is pretty short, so I think that contributes in some way.........I don't think it's a problem, but maybe I should have them checked again?
BSL is included in the DIN equation (shorter BSL = higher DIN), so I'd definitely have them checked again, unless your height or weight is significantly disproportionate. Have the bindings fully inspected.

I'd also take a serious look at your boots soles and lugs. Sole wear can significantly change the way the boot interacts with the binding.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I completely agree with Volklgirl on this one. something is out of wack there ! My din is a 7, 275mm boot sole length, 5'5. 48 yrs old, 135lbs and a type 3 skier I seldom have an opps release and I have been on markers for the last 12 years.! When your having release issue like yours and the binding has been checked out by a certified tech it's time to take a closer look at your boot soles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga