• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is Difference b/n Men and Women's Version of Same Ski? (e.g., Rossi Exp 82 Basalt)

yogiskier

Angel Diva
For example, Belleayre has for demoing the "Rossignol Experience 82 Basalt w/ SPX 12 Konect bindings (men’s – 152, 160, 168, 176). I see from the internet that there is an Experience W 82 Basalt in 143, 151, 159, 167...is it just a length/color difference, or something more?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't speak to each brand, but for many brands the difference goes beyond the lengths they offer in each category. The build can use less metal or softer woods to create a ski that is easier to flex. Oftentimes the mounting point for the women's version is the only difference, with it being more forward than the men's version. For some brands it is only the top sheet art that differs along with the differing length offerings.

Looking online at the basalt 82 I could only find one difference at quick glance and that was Rossi's own description of the skier rating. The men's version is rated for a more skilled skier. Under the actual specs I did not see any major differences aside from the binding names which probably have lower available DIN settings for the women's version. I would write to Rossi and ask.

Jilly

Staff member
Could and maybe not. The mounting point for the bindings may be more forward on the ski, so the make up/reinforcing may be in different places. Women's skis tend to have the bindings mounted forward of the unisex point.

elemmac

Angel Diva
For example, Belleayre has for demoing the "Rossignol Experience 82 Basalt w/ SPX 12 Konect bindings (men’s – 152, 160, 168, 176). I see from the internet that there is an Experience W 82 Basalt in 143, 151, 159, 167...is it just a length/color difference, or something more?
I am fairly certain, in this example, the only difference is the binding. Even though they market the lengths to be different...they're not. As mentioned above, they also market the men's as a "more advanced" ski. It's all about what sells the best. Men tend to oversell their abilities, whereas women undersell theirs. This plays into the length they market them at...similar to how a price is always $199...not $200, the makes it seem not as expensive.

mustski

Angel Diva
Zero difference. It’s the identical ski in both the basalt versions and the ti versions. They are unisex skis; even the lengths are the same - there is no difference between the 159 W and 160 M. I bought the Experience 82 Ti in the unisex version because I got a better deal.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
After @snoWYmonkey suggested it, I wrote to Rossi this morning. The official confirmation of what y'all said:

"Thank you for reaching out to Rossignol with your interest in our Experience 82 Basalt skis. Both the Men's and the Women's will have the same construction with the only difference being the graphic and the bindings mounted onto the system skis. The Women's will come with the Xpress bindings which are a bit lighter than the Konect system that comes mounted onto the Men's."

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy to hear they replied so fast!

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
OOoh thanks for getting that confirmed, I always assumed with the Rossi experience line the difference may only be the mountain point, which barely matters with the system skis, since one could easily ± shift the binding pieces on the rail to mimic the difference.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping to a shorter length on my Basalts... was at heavier weight when I bought 159cm and feeling it's a tad too long...

yogiskier

Angel Diva
@TheGreenOne I'll be demoing the 159/160 length on Saturday! If I wind up liking them and you want someone to take your current ones off your hands...we should talk :smile: Do you have the Xpress demo bindings mounted on yours?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
When do you ski at Belleayre? I got their season pass this year, but I haven't gone much - was going to go yesterday but bailed cuz of the rain :(

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I'm often deciding last minute and haven't been much this season. I went few times in December/January but not February at all, because of our trip to Heavenly in S. Lake Tahoe and... the premature snow.
Currently oscillating between Montage and Belleayre for tomorrow (Friday). Might decide when I wake up tomorrow morning :D

Next season I'm most likely dropping Indy Pass so I should be more keyed in and going more to fewer resorts

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Going to Bell tomorrow (Friday 3/1), decided it's more important to have access to Bells terrain to work on my progression over watching the cardboard classic at Montage, plus just saw the music festival schedule and Collective Soil doesnt go on till 5PM... I will be ready to head home by then.

teppaz

Angel Diva
After @snoWYmonkey suggested it, I wrote to Rossi this morning. The official confirmation of what y'all said:

"Thank you for reaching out to Rossignol with your interest in our Experience 82 Basalt skis. Both the Men's and the Women's will have the same construction with the only difference being the graphic and the bindings mounted onto the system skis. The Women's will come with the Xpress bindings which are a bit lighter than the Konect system that comes mounted onto the Men's."
I have the unisex 86 Ti with the Konect system and I can confirm that it's stupid heavy! Love the ski though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna