• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does a Diva drive?

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the function of a minivan. Plus my Dad lives with us so we are a family of 4 + 1 senior. We are nearing the end of life of my Chrysler T&C minivan that has AWD and all the goodies that came with the Limited. We are now looking at the Toyota Sienna AWD. I agree with heated seats, once you have it, you can't go back. Also must still have the DVD player.

It looks like from what I've read, AWD+snow tires > FWD+snow tires > AWD > FWD.

I am thick in the middle of trying to buy the new one and I hate the car buying process. Wish it didn't come with the "I think you are trying to totally screw me over" feeling.

altagirl

Staff member
I used the USAA car buying service this time, which made it incredibly easy. Obviously though, you have to be a member of USAA. But at least I didn't feel like I got screwed over in the process and they didn't try adding on a whole pile of useless add ons to drive up the price.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Costco has a car buying program. You deal straight with the sales manager and get the best price. I used to have a Honda Odyssey, and I do admit, I miss the haul capabilities some days. But I'm finally going to buy a NON mom car. sorta, it's still a seven passenger vehicle. I'm narrowed down to four. Another Acura MDX, the Infiniti QX60, the Audi Q7, and the Toyota Highlander. I have to keep it for 6-8 years, so I'm fretting about picking the right one.

skithesierras

Angel Diva
I used the USAA car buying service this time, which made it incredibly easy. Obviously though, you have to be a member of USAA. But at least I didn't feel like I got screwed over in the process and they didn't try adding on a whole pile of useless add ons to drive up the price.

+1 for USAA - just talked to a coworker today who just bought a new car with them. I'm not a member but will have to check if my credit union has a program.

Will be doing some more test drives this weekend, and plan to look at the other Subaru models as well as a few others, sb4e.

My criteria: heated seats, roof rails, AWD, longevity (to a certain extent) and fun-to-drive!

altagirl

Staff member
I used to have "fun-to-drive" at the top of my priority list and, I don't know 5 or 6 years ago, I changed. My last "fun-to-drive" car was a Subaru Legacy 2.5 XT (which was a manual transmission with the turbo and would pin you back in the seat when you stepped on the gas). It was fun, but I also got a lot more speeding tickets and noticed that I had more of a tendency to drive kind of like a jerk, because I was having fun rather than just driving. Hah, so when I got my Element (which appealed to me mainly for capacity to haul bikes around inside the car), that changed completely. You could stand on the gas pedal and it would laughably go about 5% faster than if you were just driving normally, and driving turned into a more relaxing, I'm just getting from A to B experience. Interestingly - I also used to constantly drool on newer/faster/better cars, and since I made this change I truly don't care as long as my car still runs. I get my adrenaline rushes on skis, bikes, skates.... but not driving a car. (If I really needed that for some reason, there is a track that I could go out to...)

So seriously, when I was shopping for my new car, I was mainly looking for excellent gas mileage + AWD, and great gas mileage goes hand in hand with being a bit underpowered, which is what I wanted anyway. DH is horrified every time I say this, but these days I just want my car to be efficient, reliable, solid at getting me up mountains in snow and.... totally boring and fairly slow. (with heated seats) ;)

Hah, I also had to laugh the other day that apparently Crosstreks are getting really popular around here now. I walked out of yoga, hit the unlock button and tried to open my trunk. Only it wouldn't open. I clicked it again and realized that I was trying to open someone elses brand new white Crosstrek that was in the parking spot next to mine. Oops. I think I have a lot of that to look forward to in Utah.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still want the Horsepower. The Outlook's 6 cyl 3.6 engine gives it to me. Gas mileage is decent, 27mpg. Confession: as cliche as it sounds, my BMW 325i sedan was so good on handling & performance, I miss it.

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks like from what I've read, AWD+snow tires > FWD+snow tires > AWD > FWD.

...I would rearrange this: AWD+snow tires > AWD > FWD+snow tires > FWD. For sure.

Costco has a car buying program. You deal straight with the sales manager and get the best price.

DH and I just bought a new car last month, and tried using this program. We didn't actually get that great a deal going through Costco, which was a little sad for both of us. Apparently it depends on the region and car you are choosing, however. We, of course, live in New England and bought a Subaru. Probably don't give as many discounts with that. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hah, I also had to laugh the other day that apparently Crosstreks are getting really popular around here now. I walked out of yoga, hit the unlock button and tried to open my trunk. Only it wouldn't open. I clicked it again and realized that I was trying to open someone elses brand new white Crosstrek that was in the parking spot next to mine. Oops. I think I have a lot of that to look forward to in Utah.

Funny story: I have a friend who used to drive a green Subaru Legacy wagon. You know, one of the four colors it came in? Her hubby took her car to the supermarket and when he was done, tried to unlock a different (but same) car. This other car had a pamphlet for breast augmentation surgery on the front seat. Hubby got completely worked up about the pamphlet and then he realized it wasn't her car.....

I am thick in the middle of trying to buy the new one and I hate the car buying process. Wish it didn't come with the "I think you are trying to totally screw me over" feeling.

Find a new dealership. With so much info on the 'net these days, having to put up with any BS whatsoever at a car dealership is uncalled for. When you can look up factory invoice costs, or find another non BS dealer in the next town, why tolerate it? We just walk if we don't get the direct answers we want.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing about fun to drive cars is that they are terrible passenger cars. DH has a BMW 330xi. He loves it. I like driving it, but I hate sitting in the passenger seat. Everything that is fun about driving is less comfortable as a passenger.

altagirl

Staff member
The thing about fun to drive cars is that they are terrible passenger cars. DH has a BMW 330xi. He loves it. I like driving it, but I hate sitting in the passenger seat. Everything that is fun about driving is less comfortable as a passenger.

OMG exactly. Even DH's truck - he spent all this money on "upgrading" the suspension (and it's already got more than enough power). I HATE it. I guess it feels better if you're the one driving, but as the passenger it's not fun at all. And he is always showing me like desert racing truck videos and how he wants the suspension like that eventually - you know, where the whole body of the vehicle is swaying around and they're going 100mph over rocks? NO. JUST NO.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Guess I need to update my cars. :smile: We had two Acura MDX's in a row, and they worked super well for us and the kids and all the gear. BIG backseat, which is awesome for picking up hitchhikers on Loveland or Berthoud and cramming them in between your two kids in booster seats. :smile:

Now that we are on the east coast (can I pout again?) and my lease was up, I am driving a BMW X5. Much, much, much fancier car than I need, but we are living in the same town as my brother-in-law, who happens to be the 2nd in command at a BMW dealer. We test drove some other stuff, but we ended up with the bimmer, mostly due to the hubs. Do I like it? Yeah, it's nice and sporty to drive and super luxurious, but honestly? Space is a little cramped and snow experiences have been limited. Seems OK in the snow.

Once we get ourselves back to the western mountains I will probably drive something more utilitarian. DH drives an Audi A6 sedan that he got a sweet deal buying off of my Dad. Once again he got the deal he couldn't refuse (although it's better than his old, free, very beige grandpa car, which my SIL now drives in Denver and to the mountains), and it's a nice car that does well in snow and is big enough for most of what he needs. He really needs a BMW and I need a truck or a Subie, considering how we feel about cars (utility for me, excitement for him) and how we use them.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Here in Colorado, I vouch for 2 cars: the Audi and the Subaru. It's rare you see either of those upside down on a pass.

Yep. I trusted both my Audi and my Subie. (And my understanding of things like engine braking and proper car spacing on mountain roads....) :becky:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We're very close to buying a Subaru Crosstrek. Can anyone who has owned to ridden in one give me their opinion - good or bad?

Christy

Angel Diva
My friends got rid of their Audi because you couldn't use chains on it. (They found out the hard way, by putting chains on and having them damage the car). They had no idea that there were cars that couldn't have chains (I didn't know that either, but there's a lot about cars I don't know). It meant they couldn't drive to visit her parents in Idaho in the winter, so they got rid of it.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re Subaru Crosstrak - I've never been in one
My 2011 Outback does use more oil than I'd expect. About a quart every 4K. I don't really trust the oil light anymore and this has gotten me more than case of bad anxiety. Lots of online reports on this, it's not an isolated problem. What is extra irritating is that I use synthetic oil, more expensive and is supposed to last longer. Mine is an automatic, 6 cyl engine.
Google oil consumption in Subaru ...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Even though I’m not in the market, I’ve been interested in same since they came out. “A leading consumer magazine” gave it a “meh.” They claimed it wasn’t worth the extra $ versus the Impreza hatchback. Other reviewers have had varying opinions.

You might want to compare it with the Forester (which is what I have, purchased before Crosstrek was released), for features, cost, etc. Similar engines, drive train, etc. The Forester is cavernous for interior space. Has almost as much interior space as our other vehicle, a Ford Explorer. Decked out, it’s got quite a lot of good features. I needed 16" wheels (versus 17, which is standard on Impreza; I think 16 for Crosstrek) for the kind of driving we do out here. With Major studded snow tires, this thing is a tank - and gets around 25-26 in winter with high-profile rack and said tires. 29-30 in summer, but I have heard the CVT tranny (now available in Forester, wasn’t in 2011) does even better (mine’s a manual).

I’ve not noted any oil usage in mine, now @ 42k miles, basic 4 cylinder 2.5L engine.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Boy isn't this the truth. DH bought a BMW last fall, 535xi wagon. He previously had two Audi wagons. I really don't like it very much, at least riding in it. The Audis were fine, though.

As to the thread title, I am still plugging along in the Land Cruiser. It has 165K on it, and every time I take it in for an oil change or something, my mechanic purrs about what great shape it's in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga