• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What can I do with my old skis?

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In 2008 I bought a beautiful pair of K2 T9 One Luvs, and new boots. Skied on them for 1 season, then got pregnant. They stayed bagged and stored till this year- tried my boots yesterday, couldn’t get my foot in them. As expected, 2 kids later my foot did grow. Went to the shop for new boots, and told the man about my skis- luckily I brought them along- they looked at the bindings and said they can’t touch them I’m tempted to buy the new boots and rent skis this year (I also gained weight one the years and am quite rusty and less adventurous), but want to know, what can I do with my K2s? They are in fantastic condition, I loved them so… and they weren’t cheap. Are they just expensive decoration now??

marzNC

Angel Diva
Glad you are getting back on the slopes.

I had a pair of One Luvs. First pair of "good skis" after I started skiing regularly. I bought the previous season model during the summer, so weren't that expensive. I used mine for a couple seasons while I learned how to demo skis and find something more appropriate. Ended up trading them for a pair of ice skates with a schoolmate of my daughter.

Do you know any skiers who know enough about ski gear to be willing to deal with old bindings? Are there any ski swaps near you? Might be able to get $50-100 next fall.

I bought a pair of used skis for my daughter as her next pair of skis from a father who had sold us her previous pair of skis. He was a total geek about ski gear. He told me in detail how to adjust the bindings since he had bought the skis used. For skiing at our tiny home hill, I was comfortable dealing with those demo bindings. I actually used them for a while after knee rehab because they were shorter and narrower than my own skis at the time.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Sounds like they are in pretty good shape, so a college student or beginner may be interested. But you will likely have a hard time finding a shop to work on them. I think my daughter's friend bought used 2015 Blizzards, and the shop really really didn't want to adjust them for her. They ended up doing it, but let us know in no uncertain terms that they weren't happy to do it, and they wouldn't guarantee her safety. She sticks to the greens, and some easy blues, so it hasn't been a problem.

Christy

Angel Diva
It can take some effort to find the right new ski, but I suspect you will find something you love more. It's almost like technology or at least other sporting equipment--we generally don't pine for the old stuff once we've moved on.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They said the bindings aren’t replaceable ;(
I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't understand why this would be the case unless they had already been mounted another time. My understanding is skis can handle up to about 3 different mounts provided the holes can be drilled far enough apart (from the previous holes). Did they give you a reason, or can anyone else elucidate?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't understand why this would be the case unless they had already been mounted another time. My understanding is skis can handle up to about 3 different mounts provided the holes can be drilled far enough apart (from the previous holes). Did they give you a reason, or can anyone else elucidate?
I’m thinking they must be a system binding if they can’t be changed out.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m thinking they must be a system binding if they can’t be changed out.
I never realized these were distinct from demo bindings, but after some Googling I'm thinking that I may not be able to replace the bindings on my old Rossis as I'd planned (bought new skis last year, but was going to put new bindings on the old skis as backups).

newboots

Angel Diva
This news always makes people sad. Not only are their bindings no good, but they can’t be replaced. :noidea:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My boot fitter put a little wedge/lift under my front binding-which is a system binding. Anyhow he said the all in one skis with bindings are terrible. He also stripped my screw and used marine putty to repair it and still charged me $10 for that part. Way more for the adjustment and test. Hmmmm
I was hoping my bindings last a few more years. I got a great deal from a local shop owner in 2019 but they are 2018 skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna