• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are the best ski resorts for families with young children?

jayce

Certified Ski Diva
I was wondering if you ladies could help me out with some suggestions for ski resorts with good family activities and atmospheres and good adult and kid ski schools? I realize that this is early as most everyone probably has summer vacation on their minds. My DH and I aren't beachy people and don't go on the tropical vacation each year, so our minds are elsewhere. We had already been discussing a trip back out west (we went to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, etc. on our honeymoon), and now that I have found skiing.... well, I thought it might be fun to wrap it all into one! Honestly, I just want to go on a trip anywhere that is more than 3 hours away from home (North Carolina skiing), for more than a weekend. We have a 4 year old son who loves snow and constantly says that he wants to go skiing, even though he has only been once, so we need things around that will entertain him. Any suggestions? Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Assuming you are thinking about flying, the places that come to mind are Northstar, Alta, or Steamboat Springs.

I know it would be a long drive, but Massanutten is a great place for family fun during the winter. The ski school is very good. And it's possible to have a good time even on busy holiday weekends, especially if you can extend an extra day or two.

jayce

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, I was assuming that we would fly. I forgot about Massanutten though. One of my criteria is that it be somewhere outside of the Carolinas, so that fits it. I'll look into it. How is the drive there from where you are? Is it bad or relatively easy, just long? Thanks for the suggestion!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can't beat Steamboat. :thumbsup: Their ski school is incredible. :D The town is incredible. The people are beyond fantastic. If you make your reservation by the end of the summer through Steamboat.com they offer kids "Fly Free, Stay Free, and Ski Free". They're probably not even advertising it yet so stay tuned.

We stayed at a condo at Ski Trails and found it GREAT. Kind of small but had everything we needed except a pool, but a hot tub right outside the door and the run to the gondola/ski school was right across the parking lot. VERY easy to ski to and from. :thumbsup:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
If you're willing to go a bit farther afield, you might consider Big White in B.C. Our daughter took her family there a couple of years ago - two very young kids at the time, the youngest barely three. Kids were in ski school and loved it. Pretty much everything is ski in-ski out, plus there's a tubing area, skating rink, even cross-country skiing. It's a very family-friendly place - and gets wonderful snow to boot. Nearest airport is Kelowna (less than an hour away) - I know you can fly direct from Toronto, but not sure from where else.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, I was assuming that we would fly. I forgot about Massanutten though. One of my criteria is that it be somewhere outside of the Carolinas, so that fits it. I'll look into it. How is the drive there from where you are? Is it bad or relatively easy, just long? Thanks for the suggestion!

Check out my TRs on SkiSE for Massanutten. Send me a PM if you have questions about lodging options.

The drive is relatively easy, nothing like the mountain driving required for Snowshoe. Not even any mountain curves like Beech. Mnut is off US33 just off I-81 at Harrisonburg. I would think it would be mostly interstate highway from SC.

https://www.massresort.com

Family fun besides skiing includes a long tubing run, an indoor water park, sledding (IF there happens to be natural snow), plus pools and gym if you stay on resort.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have used both the daycare and ski schools at Stratton and Sugarbush, both in VT. Not sure where you'd fly into - Albany, NY perhaps? This would be East Coast skiing, not that your son would care or notice. Stratton has more of a "village" for lunchtime poking around, etc (to say that Sugarbush has anything to do beyond skiing IMO is stretching it). But, we always skied most of the day with the kids in daycare or ski school, and then were more than happy to hit the condo, watch videos and play with playdoh or whatever. Kids bedtime at 8 pm or so means you don't have much time to take advantage of other offerings anyway (unless you hire daycare staff as babysitters, usually an option).

I'd choose Sugarbush over Stratton in terms of skiing terrain for the grownups... My kids weren't ready to do anything beyond the magic carpet at Sugarbush, so I don't know about the ski school once they get more advanced; in that respect Stratton was great!

I did once ski at Keystone in CO long before I had kids, and I remember it as being a great mountain (even for beginners and intermediates) and the nearby town (was it Breckenridge?) had lots to entertain...

How fun! You are getting a head start...:yahoo:

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have used both the daycare and ski schools at Stratton and Sugarbush, both in VT. Not sure where you'd fly into - Albany, NY perhaps? This would be East Coast skiing, not that your son would care or notice. Stratton has more of a "village" for lunchtime poking around, etc (to say that Sugarbush has anything to do beyond skiing IMO is stretching it). But, we always skied most of the day with the kids in daycare or ski school, and then were more than happy to hit the condo, watch videos and play with playdoh or whatever. Kids bedtime at 8 pm or so means you don't have much time to take advantage of other offerings anyway (unless you hire daycare staff as babysitters, usually an option).

I'd choose Sugarbush over Stratton in terms of skiing terrain for the grownups... My kids weren't ready to do anything beyond the magic carpet at Sugarbush, so I don't know about the ski school once they get more advanced; in that respect Stratton was great!

I did once ski at Keystone in CO long before I had kids, and I remember it as being a great mountain (even for beginners and intermediates) and the nearby town (was it Breckenridge?) had lots to entertain...

How fun! You are getting a head start...:yahoo:

HI- can you please tell me about your experience with the Stratton daycare- my son will be 2- we are going to ski with him this year- but I know he won't last all day so also will be using the daycare. Any advice/tips wouold be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We went to Smuggler's Notch when DS was younger and he still talks about it. Our trips there helped foster his love of skiing. The daycare is the best I've ever seen and there are so many family activities it is impossible to have bored children!

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks- definately doing Stratton- our rental is right by there and I have a season pass.. Keeping my fingers crossed but very nervous.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Suzanneski

Check out Travel/Resorts section; I just bumped what I wrote after our trip to Stratton last year (the Stratton or Windham posts). Too far back for me to remember specifics but I had a great experience. :laugh:

See if you can get the daycare direct line and call with any concerns you have, and if you can't get it, PM me and I may still have it programmed into my cell from last Feb!:wink:

Enjoy... my DH is on me to plan our trip this year, and we are debating whether to stick on the East Coast or really take the plunge and splurge in airfare for 5!

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks so much- I was also debating about the whole West thing- but not this year.. I am looking forward to some alone time on the mountain without having to spend a fortune and draga ton of baby gear!

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I am in Colorado and I think you cannot go wrong with Snowmass -- great mountain for all abilities, excellent ski school, fun runs just for kids, relatively easy to get there (fly into Aspen, Eagle or Grand Junction). Steamboat and Telluride both get rave reviews. I like both of these mountains too. Good luck and have a great time!

angelkeys

Certified Ski Diva
If you are up to making a trip to Canada, Big White ski resort in British Columbia is absolutely fantastik for families with kids of all ages. We've been going there for years. They have family events every day from 5 - 10 with movie nights, bingo nights, games night, treasure hunts, hot chocolate and bonfires, etc. etc. etc. my kids loved it when they were little and they still come with us now that they are teenagers and university students. it is fabulous for skiing and everything else.

Sami

Certified Ski Diva
thanks- definately doing Stratton- our rental is right by there and I have a season pass.. Keeping my fingers crossed but very nervous.

We went to Stratton last year for 5 days with our then-two year old and four year old. Both kids skied w/ us part of the time (the two year old on the magic carpet only) but when we wanted to ski by ourselves, our 4 year old went to ski school (which he loved, and he's not the most adaptable kid) and our 2 year old went to daycare. She is also very clingy, but she had a really good time. Didn't cry when we dropped her off, and had fun. We were there during a non-holiday week, so I don't know what it's like on busy times, but midweek in March, it was very mellow. The space is huge, with lots of toys and a couple of fishtanks, and a lot of teachers/childcare workers per kid. I felt very comfortable leaving my daughter there (we did two halfdays). She was already going to preschool three mornings a week, so we called it school. I was also impressed by details-- like, on the morning we checked into daycare, they had a cubby ready with her name on it. Anyway, I really thought it was quite nice (and very clean and safe and all that, of course!)

p-bunny

Certified Ski Diva
I am biased because I am a ski patroller at that resort but honestly, when my kids where little, before I started patrolling , I already thought it was a great resort for families. Check out Northstar at Tahoe. It has so much for kids and the snow is good. It also has sledding, ice skating, trampoline.... as well as after ski activities such as candle making etc.
www.northstarattahoe.com

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alta is a great choice because you and your child can ski free on the rope tows to build confidence. Then when your child is ready to move over to the chairlifts, there are two which are free from 3-4:30 p.m. each day. I would still recommend lessons, but for beginners, this is a good way to get going without spending a fortune. Plus, Alta is easy to get to. The downside is that there are not a lot of "extra" activities. Park City has all the extras in spades, so if you are looking for a "winter" vacation rather than a "skiing" vacation, you might consider PCMR. Have fun!

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
update- Stratton daycare has worked out really well- my 2 yr old didn't cry whern I dropped him off- and he took a 1.5 hour nap AND we are going to Beaver Creak and Vail this year- so excited.. BTW_ strattons 2 day daycare for the weekend- $179 now- wasn't asvertised as such on their website.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna