• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wanted: Western Bump & Crud/Chop Ski

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Asking on behalf of a friend (no, I do not need another pair of skis [keep repeating]).

Anna is 5'6" about 155lbs., creeping up on age 60, but active and naturally athletic. She's been skiing seriously for about 12 years and is a lower level Advanced skier. She skis mostly in the east, but gets about 21 days out west each season. Anna has definite asks:

-- All mountain ski (95 or 98 ish) that is forgiving, maneuverable, and nimble in bumps and trees - she wants something to learn on (felt that the Sheeva line was too burly/too much rebound);
-- Something with enough gumption that it won't get tossed around in crud and chop (she didn't like the Elan Ripstick 94 for this reason - felt that the front of the ski got bounced around/deflected. At the other end of the spectrum, she felt that the Nordica Santa Ana 98 required too much work and required too much focus on staying forward);
-- She doesn't ski fast, so she doesn't need something that is also super stable at speed;
-- Ideally something that can also hold an edge on hardpack/ice at slower speeds. She's not one to charge the groomers.

Number one of the above is a ski that will help her become a better bump skier.

Realizing that this is a lot to ask for, any ideas would be appreciated. She may get a chance to demo in NZ later this year, but that is not yet a given.

Considering, but hasn't tried:

-- Rossi Black Ops 98
-- Icelantic Riveter 95
-- Black Crows Camox Birdie 97
-- Liberty Genesis 98

Thank you in advance, Divas!!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Asking on behalf of a friend (no, I do not need another pair of skis [keep repeating]).

Anna is 5'6" about 155lbs., creeping up on age 60, but active and naturally athletic. She's been skiing seriously for about 12 years and is a lower level Advanced skier. She skis mostly in the east, but gets about 21 days out west each season. Anna has definite asks:

-- All mountain ski (95 or 98 ish) that is forgiving, maneuverable, and nimble in bumps and trees - she wants something to learn on (felt that the Sheeva line was too burly/too much rebound);
-- Something with enough gumption that it won't get tossed around in crud and chop (she didn't like the Elan Ripstick 94 for this reason - felt that the front of the ski got bounced around/deflected. At the other end of the spectrum, she felt that the Nordica Santa Ana 98 required too much work and required too much focus on staying forward);
-- She doesn't ski fast, so she doesn't need something that is also super stable at speed;
-- Ideally something that can also hold an edge on hardpack/ice at slower speeds. She's not one to charge the groomers.

Number one of the above is a ski that will help her become a better bump skier.

Realizing that this is a lot to ask for, any ideas would be appreciated. She may get a chance to demo in NZ later this year, but that is not yet a given.

Considering, but hasn't tried:

-- Rossi Black Ops 98
-- Icelantic Riveter 95
-- Black Crows Camox Birdie 97
-- Liberty Genesis 98

Thank you in advance, Divas!!
Updating: adding Volkl Blaze 94 to the list.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
I wonder if next year’s Santa Ana would be less effortful, supposedly they are making it more accessible/looser tails

mustski

Angel Diva
Why does she want something that wide? It doesn’t make sense for bumps, crud, and chop - especially for an Eastern skier who is accustomed to a narrower ski. I have been skiing the Fischer Ranger 84 in spring conditions which is slick and hard in the morning. Corn, cream cheese, mashed potatoes (ie: heavy wet piles) and they make me feel like a super hero on skis. They are super nimble and agile and I’m skiing longer than usual on them I’m not recommending them for deep powder, but on everything else - yeah!

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Many people in the East ski on a 90something ski as their daily driver. It can make a great one ski quiver size.

I’d also say the Blaze 86 could be added to a demo list if she did want to go narrower. I have used them all over the East and West, bumps, trees, up to a foot or so of powder, and there isn’t anything they haven’t been able to handle well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Many people in the East ski on a 90something ski as their daily driver. It can make a great one ski quiver size.

I’d also say the Blaze 86 could be added to a demo list if she did want to go narrower. I have used them all over the East and West, bumps, trees, up to a foot or so of powder, and there isn’t anything they haven’t been able to handle well.
I really do need to try those Blaze's..... headed next week to Tahoe and then down to Mammoth... yeah it will be spring skiing but I might try some if available.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Why does she want something that wide? It doesn’t make sense for bumps, crud, and chop - especially for an Eastern skier who is accustomed to a narrower ski.
She's looking specifically for a ski that she will take west - not one she'll ski in the east unless the Snow Gods smile upon us.

After speaking w/her again, she's imagining a ski that will help her in western bumps and trees. I don't ski anything wider than my Blaze 86, so I don't know if a wider ski with more surface area would be easier or more difficult in typical western bump/tree conditions. I'm in knee conservation mode at age 64, so I tend to favor a narrower ski, but she is not concerned about that (yet) -- amazing what a difference 10 years in age makes!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volkls are awlays good out here (West) in variable spring conditions. I have Head Kore 93's for all mountain ski (non-powder days) and am pretty pleased with them-----but in sticky chopped bowls (the other day), I could have used some heavier ski---(problem me--not blaming the skis).

The Heads are playful in mixed conditions (not my powder ski but they handle light powder fine).

mustski

Angel Diva
Bumps (and glades) in the west are often firm most of the season; you know, between snowfalls. I think agility is more important than the width of the ski. I’m not a great bump skier, but I am improving. I think the point I was making about the narrower ski is simply this : if she is used to a narrow ski, she might spend her whole vacation adjusting to a wide ski. Something closer to the middle would be better IF she usually skis a carver ski.

ETA If she didn’t like the playfulness of the Sheeva, she might like the stability of the Secret 96. I haven’t demoed the2925 model but, from what I hear, turn initiation is easier on the new model. I love my Secret and it skis everything well but shines when the snow is soft

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Secret 96 is pretty great. Wide enough for out west but I've accidentally brought it out in western Massachusetts when I thought it was going to be soft and wasn't. They did amazing on our hard pack. They are light but not noodly and can handle everything I've thrown at it.

maddy13

Certified Ski Diva
Interesting that she thought the Sheevas were too burly. My complaint is their tips deflect.

Stable in West chop, but nimble and easy is a tough ask.

I know she didn’t like the Santa Ana 98s, but the new Santa Anas are different than last years (which I didn’t love). I think they are more playful and a bit livelier. I thought the Santa Ana 97 was really easy and intuitive to ski, while still having a bit of suspension to absorb chop.

The Liberty Genesis is fun, but not a lot of suspension, and I thought it was similar to the Sheeva.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx all,

I didn't understand about the Sheeva either, @maddy13. I found it to be pretty playful and forgiving. They've widened it from a 92 to a 96 and I thought that might make a difference for her. At any rate, I think she has pulled the plug and ordered the Volkl Blaze 94. If it skis anything like the 86 I think she'll be very happy with it.

AuntFreshie

Diva in Training
I skied on the Blizzard Black Pearl (88 under foot) for years and it really was a good ski to level-up my bump skiing on. It's playful and forgiving, but I wouldn't say it's super stable at speed though. Yes, hard to find one ski that does it all. I'm poised now to purchase the Sheeva 9 in a 168 since I'm ready to go to a wider all mountain ski, but plan to keep my Black Pearls on hand for spring bumps.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
DH wants me to try out my Nordica Wildfires this trip. They are 162 and 105 underfoot.

Given how poorly I am skiing on my shorter and narrower Volkl Blaze, I'm curious if this could possibly be a good idea.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH wants me to try out my Nordica Wildfires this trip. They are 162 and 105 underfoot.

Given how poorly I am skiing on my shorter and narrower Volkl Blaze, I'm curious if this could possibly be a good idea.
Have you had any analysis re your skiing w/the Blaze? If you are skiing deep powder I can understand wanting to go with a wider ski like the 105s. Personally, the wider I go (and the older I get), the worse my form becomes given the punishment my knees take in getting a wider ski on edge. If you are skiing powder, though, those edges aren't as critical.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting that she thought the Sheevas were too burly. My complaint is their tips deflect.

Stable in West chop, but nimble and easy is a tough ask.

I know she didn’t like the Santa Ana 98s, but the new Santa Anas are different than last years (which I didn’t love). I think they are more playful and a bit livelier. I thought the Santa Ana 97 was really easy and intuitive to ski, while still having a bit of suspension to absorb chop.

The Liberty Genesis is fun, but not a lot of suspension, and I thought it was similar to the Sheeva.
Sheeva redux -- It wasn't the Sheeva 9 afterall, @maddy13 . She was confusing it with the Secret.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga