• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

wanna buy a softshell....

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am thinking about buying a softshell jacket, and would like to hear some reviews ! There are so many choices out there.
Has anyone found any decent deals lately ?

Jilly

Staff member
Are you thinking spring wear or insulated for winter wear??
I've 2 columbia's but they are spring/fall or an insulating layer. I know that some of the ski company's make insulated jackets for winter skiing - Salomon for one.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have advice to offer other than to watch steepandcheap.com. I got a Marmot ATV softshell there (not specifically meant for skiing, but it works!) that I actually have worn skiing the last few times as my outerwear (with a light layer underneath). It's not "insulated" but it does the job. LOVE it and I only paid about $55 for it! :eek:

After I get down to my goal weight, I'm definitely going with softshell as my ski jacket. So much more comfy than a hardshell jacket!

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep an eye on SAC for softshells, but seem to be missing them.
I have been looking at Backcountry.com and see some that I would like to buy but the sizes are limited. I would also like to wear it as a main jacket for skiing (when its not too cold), so a bit of insulation would be nice......

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SAC right now has a great Marmot Firefly Jacket for 52.50
PAR.jpg

CRI.jpg

Available in two colors.

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picture Calgal having a tantrum because she missed another softshell SAC deal. I had to go out for a while.....RATS !!

IdahoSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check Sierra Trading Post, I picked up a Mountain Hardware Softshell for a good price in December...not too sure what their selection is now.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I keep an eye on SAC for softshells, but seem to be missing them.
I have been looking at Backcountry.com and see some that I would like to buy but the sizes are limited. I would also like to wear it as a main jacket for skiing (when its not too cold), so a bit of insulation would be nice......

Keep in mind that the term "softshell" is fairly generic these days. It refers to a whole family of fabrics. These fabrics were originally designed and marketed by Schoeller Mills of Germany, but you can find them everywhere now.The unifying factor of these fabrics is that they typically have a stretch component, a wicking component, a water repellent treatment, and varying weights. I have never seen any with a layer of insulation, but there are some that are designed with a windblock membrane in them, and a fleecy inside layer.

I have numerous light softshell peices, and my experience you'll want a windblock layer for sure for alpine skiing. I use my lighter pieces for hiking or mountain biking, but the wind goes right through them if there is exposure, high speed or high winds.

gg

SkiMaine311

Diva in Training
I have a few softshells from LL Bean (in different weights) and I LOVE them (especially the pit zips). I'd check out the LL Bean website since it's cheaper than North Face or Patagonia. You may also want to check EMS if they're having a sale....

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picture Calgal having a tantrum because she missed another softshell SAC deal. I had to go out for a while.....RATS !!
Calgal disappointed??? Heck, I'M disappointed! I need a smaller softshell for next winter when I'm a smaller me! :wink:

I have never seen any with a layer of insulation, but there are some that are designed with a windblock membrane in them, and a fleecy inside layer.

I have numerous light softshell peices, and my experience you'll want a windblock layer for sure for alpine skiing. I use my lighter pieces for hiking or mountain biking, but the wind goes right through them if there is exposure, high speed or high winds.

gg
The Marmot ATV softshell I have does have a windblock. I'll be honest that when it came up on SAC, I was distracted and didn't read it was a softshell - I thought I was buying a windblock fleece. :redface: But I've been very pleased with it. And yes, it is lined with a fleecey layer. I skied it in temps in the 20s F with just a midweight layer underneath, so while it isn't bulky, it's done plenty to keep me warm and dry.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DANG IT! That's what I get for trying to go to sleep at a normal time! :laugh:

MoeyD

Diva in Training
I bought the REI One jacket a couple weeks ago. I haven't skiied in it yet (I am a midwest girl so my season is over and my spring trip to Whistler made it to the planning stages and then got nixed due to the airfares jumping too high). It has pit zips, a chest pocket, I love how it fits and best of all it was on sale. I have worn it to a couple rainy, windy soccer games and stayed warm and dry, so I have high hopes for it. Also, there are a bunch of positive reviews for it on REI's website.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That REI jacket is nice! They also have a lesser model (Neo) that if you don't mind the color, it's on sale for about $69.83 right now!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
REI One is a nice jacket...first softshel i ever owned. Bought it when they first came out.

I have several softshells now, but the one I stick with primarily for skiing is the Marmot Storm Queen. Why?? Highly wind resistant w/ the Gore windstopper. Has a removable helmet compatable hood. Has two hand warmer pockets, sleeve pocket, two inside pockets w/ MP3 holder, water bladder pocket. Powder skirt, core vents, pass clip (outside pocket) and key clip (inside pocket). I haven't been able to find many softshells w/ all these features!

On sale at Backcountry outlet and they have come up on SAC several times.
https://www.backcountryoutlet.com/o...ket-Womens.html?avad=397_1529_df_16527_857277

Jilly

Staff member
Check MEC. I see some on the website, but check the store. Sales were on in Toronto store when I was there last week. Going to Ottawa store next week. They'll take back water bottles that have BPA!! So those are going back and somehow I pick up the left handed sling pod bag. Someone put it back in the regular slot! I want a regular one.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep in mind that the term "softshell" is fairly generic these days. It refers to a whole family of fabrics. These fabrics were originally designed and marketed by Schoeller Mills of Germany, but you can find them everywhere now.The unifying factor of these fabrics is that they typically have a stretch component, a wicking component, a water repellent treatment, and varying weights. I have never seen any with a layer of insulation, but there are some that are designed with a windblock membrane in them, and a fleecy inside layer.

gg

This is very true, as well as the fact that they are everchanging and improving. Here are some sneak preview photos of some softshell fabrics coming out next year. Yep, with the exception of the reinforcements, these are all insulated softshellsk, even the pants.

I skied winterlong in one of these hybrids and it was a dream. All the weatherblocking of goretex with breathability and flexibility. It was like having the climate control of a Buick. Highly recommended.sidebyside.JPG

brwnstrtch.JPG

insulsoftjket1.JPG

softpants.JPG

jkts.JPG

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a cheap Quest softshell that I absolutely loved. I lost it on the plane or in the airport (some time before we got to the rental car) in Utah, and haven't been able to find it to replace it. If I knew how to get it, I'd recommend it for you Calgal!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH bought me a Cloudveil for XMas. Love it. Can you believe he got it at TJMaxx for $79?! (just found the receipt a week ago).

Definately buy one with all the features - wind stopper, water resistant. My DH has worn soft shells for a few years, this is my first. I love them. It's snug fitting, so I can put my parka over it on cold days, and my EMS rain parka if it's rainy (luckily I didn't need it this year). My DD has a Columbia one, just not as durable or good at protection.

Also love the zippers and buttons - constructed assuming you'll have gloves on. I also love the styling, a little bit more trendy looking than a typical ski coat. I have a very dark gray one - probably have 20 days of skiing in it, and some around town, and it still looks as clean and new as the day I bought it. I'm a Cloudveil convert.

The only negative I've found is the sleeves are not as warm as a parka.

Just saw they are dropping in price - I think I have the Headwall (last year's version I think). https://www.cloudveil.com/womens/jackets/softshell/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga