• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Yumi w/ Marker Squire Binding?

caramia

Certified Ski Diva
I'm ski shopping with my sister and she bought the 2015 Volkl Yumis (they're pretty awesome and I'm thinking of getting a set too!). The ski shop told us that the recommended binding is the Marker Squire (he said Volkls and Markers are "basically made for each other", and online we found Markers are recommended for the Yumi in a few places). We've been researching this binding and found very mixed reviews.

I'm wondering if any of you have the Marker Squire (11 DIN) and what your experience has been like?

Also, if you own Volkl Yumi skis- which binding did you choose and are you happy with it?

I have Volkl Kenjas not Yumis but mine have Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings on them, not markets. I don't know which is better. I just know that when my local ski shop tuned up my skis they were admiring the setup of the Attack 13s on a Volkl. I hear the Yumi is a great ski and am thinking of picking up a pair for myself at some point.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I've got the Squires on my Kenjas. I know quite a few divas on here had major problems with earlier versions of squires, but mine are from last year and they're great. I hear they had some release problems, but Marker seems to have fixed everything. Mine work really well, and got a great deal on them end of season.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I've got the Squires on my Kenjas. I know quite a few divas on here had major problems with earlier versions of squires, but mine are from last year and they're great. I hear they had some release problems, but Marker seems to have fixed everything. Mine work really well, and got a great deal on them end of season.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Squires on my Kenjas and they are fine. Some divas had issues and I had an issue one year with demo skis the binding not wanting to lock in fully (it would go half way and I had to pick up the ski and stomp it down). But I don't have issues locking in with my set of squires.

mustski

Angel Diva
I had issues with mine and replaced them on my Auras with the atomic badge of the Z10. I think Marker finally worked out their issues with the Squires. It took them long enough though.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Volkl and Marker have long been under the same “corporate umbrella,” which is possibly why you were given that information. You can, however, put any binding you wish on any flat ski - alpine, AT or tele.

At a recent demo, several models I tried were Marker Squire demo bindings. After adjusting, the reps usually told me to “stomp down hard.” Frankly, I clicked in easily and really didn’t need to jump on them. So maybe the Marker fiasco is history, not sure. They were nice light bindings, but I can’t speak to their difficulty in getting back in after a powder snow ski-loss - nor their release function.

You just might find something significantly less expensive in another brand/model. Pays to shop around. Just get something whose DIN range suits your requirements, i.e., no likely need for a Look Pivot 14.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kenjas and Squires here. I have never had a problem with mine. They are relatively lightweight, too.

I think the recent problem that we talked about was with the forward pressure setting. Your ski shop should know how to resolve this so you can step in without problems.

mustski

Angel Diva
Kenjas and Squires here. I have never had a problem with mine. They are relatively lightweight, too.

I think the recent problem that we talked about was with the forward pressure setting. Your ski shop should know how to resolve this so you can step in without problems.
No the problem we talked about was with a faulty binding. My ski shop stopped selling them during that time period.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm ski shopping with my sister and she bought the 2015 Volkl Yumis (they're pretty awesome and I'm thinking of getting a set too!). The ski shop told us that the recommended binding is the Marker Squire (he said Volkls and Markers are "basically made for each other", and online we found Markers are recommended for the Yumi in a few places). We've been researching this binding and found very mixed reviews.

I'm wondering if any of you have the Marker Squire (11 DIN) and what your experience has been like?

Also, if you own Volkl Yumi skis- which binding did you choose and are you happy with it?

I have the 2014 Yumi 161 with Marker Squires. Love the ski and never had a problem with the bindings - I have them on my Elysians and put them on my daughter's Dynastar Exclusive Eden. PM me if you might be interested in my Yumi! Sadly, they are too short for me.......

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
@MaineSkiLady is spot-on for the reason why Markers and Volkls get paired together.

Some comments on the Squire:

For 15-16 Marker made a small adjustment to the Squire which was supposed to make getting into it easier (if you're curious I can post pics). However, I still have trouble if the ground I'm on is not perfectly level (and really, when is it?). I put Squires on a pair of Volkl Ones recently and then did some hike-to terrain with them at Wolf Creek. I was regretting my choice and wishing I had gone with the Tyrolia Attack -- it's much easier to get into. Part of my trouble is probably due to my being light, but I'm not that light and I'm pretty strong/athletic. We've had some petite women come in who just can't get the Squire to work for them. To be completely candid, the Squire and the Griffon have been our go-to binding for recommending to customers (they are certainly the most popular), but this year we're going to be recommending Tyrolias more, especially to lighter men and women.

Also, it's worth mentioning that for most people, a max DIN of 11 is overkill. Perhaps my favorite Marker binding has been the Free Ten, it does the job and is easy to get into.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm continually surprised to hear so many continue to have issues. I know they had a problem years back, but really, we have 3 pairs of Squires and nary an issue. My daughter is 5'8"+, 115 pounds and snaps into her Squires with ease. I am 5'9" <140 and have zero complaints. That said, I have never had a problem snapping into any binding.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to derail the thread, by @zoomamyd can you say more about the Marker Free Ten? I've had some passing interest in those bindings since they sound like they are pretty light, but I never see much mention of them. Are they as light as the Squires? Do you know if the delta is the same as the Squires or more/less?

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gave up on any Marker bindings last year. Griffons too stiff, and I had endless difficulties getting them back on. The previous year I had Squires on the skis and swapped them over for the Griffons, as the Squires would not always click in, though it seemed for different reasons.
The Squires were a bit of a pain, but the Griffons drove me nuts.
Decided on Salomon STH12 bindings on my new fat skis, and don't regret it for one moment. They are soooo easy by comparison. I wold never buy Marker again, even if they have fixed the problems.

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
@lisamamot, you must have the magic touch! I think my personal issues have to do with snow/ice build-up on my boots from hiking. If I'm on flat ground things tend to be OK.

@NewEnglandSkier, I'm happy to! I think the Free Ten is a hidden gem, it totally flies under the radar. From the Marker catalog for 15/16 (but it's the same for 14/15):

Free Ten // Squire
DIN range: 3-10 // 3-11
Rec. skier weight: 65-230 lbs // 65 - 240 lbs
Stand height toe w/o ski: 23mm // 22mm
Brake width: 90mm or 110mm // 90mm or 110mm
Toe system: Triple Pivot Light // Triple Pivot Light
Gliding AFD: gliding AFD // stainless steel, height adjustable
Step-in heel: compact // hollow linkage

I weighed them on our shipping scale, with the bindings still on their display boards. The Squire is 2.05 lbs and the Free Ten is 1.90lbs (for one binding, not a pair).

So I'd say the big differences are the heels, and I guess the AFD...but I don't usually notice that. The construction does vary (Free Ten has more plastic), but that shouldn't affect most lightweight and/or intermediate skiers. I can't find data on the delta, so I can't speak to that. Here's a side-by-side comparison pic. To its credit, the Squire does come in some pretty cool colors!

squirevsfree10.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had issues with mine and replaced them on my Auras with the atomic badge of the Z10. I think Marker finally worked out their issues with the Squires. It took them long enough though.
I now have the Ti Z10 on two pairs of skis…. no problem getting into them…...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I see most here go for the Salomon z10 ti...any reason that is chosen over the Salomon z10, other than binding weight?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I see most here go for the Salomon z10 ti...any reason that is chosen over the Salomon z10, other than binding weight?
They are super lightweight…. and I am lightweight! I don't need a high DIN setting… Easy to get in and out of...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga