• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Volkl Kenja, Sol, Atomic 7th Heaven

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny, a friend of mine just posted on Facebook how good the skiing at Okemo was today! I guess it all depends on your point of view!

I think it depends more on which day you went skiing this week and how good the grooming team is at the hill. Last Fri @ Mount Snow it was beautiful spring conditions. By Sun @ Mount Snow it was packed pow and death cookies. Wed @ Jiminy Peak it was dust on crust. Tomorrow it should be really good everywhere, since we're getting a nice fat snowstorm today.

Mount Snow and Okemo both have reputations for being heavily and beautifully groomed. JP, not so much. I'm not surprised the skiing was good at Okemo - just wish I'd had to time to get up there on Wed afternoon instead of staying local.

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might have red my posts on the "Kenjas for New England", if not, I'm an intermediate/adv skier, skiing East coast and currently got the Kenja to accompany (maybe replace) my Sols.

My initial thought was to use the Sols on really icy days and save the Kenjas for the better snow, but so far I haven't been able to go back to the Sols once as I find the Kenjas to be a so much better ski.

Can't say how the Kenja would compare to the Tierra or Fuego as I haven't tried them, but they might be more the level of ski you should look for.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL, out of curiosity, what ski was it?
Atomic Seventh Heaven.
Just got wind of newly named (for '12) replacement model, "White Cloud?" Atomic getting into this double-decker thing, per VF series, not sure I'm thrilled, as they are tanks to lug around. :(

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Seventh Heaven is definitely not a beginner ski! I've tried the Cloud Nine, Seventh Heaven and Nordica Firefox. The Firefox is more advanced as it's stiffer, but carves easily and holds well on ice. Any of these might be suitable for you, depends on what you like and how you ski. Each one of them is very different.
Volkls are known to be very good on ice.
Oh, and MSL, those double deckers ARE heavy!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I demoed the Volkl Tierra and Sol (as well as a few others). The Tierra was too big and beefy for me (in almost every way - heavy, fat, long) - but I am under 5' tall, and at the moment prefer a shorter ski.

Atomics were on my list to demo last year, and the only shop I could find that had them only had one in too long a length for me to try. So... I never did. From what research I did, I got the impression that the Clouds (7,8, and 9) were a similar line of skis (carvers I think), from beginner to more advanced - and that the 7th Heaven and Heaven's Gate were entirely different types of skis. Can't remember more than that.

Anyway, my Sols seem to be fine for the East Coast - and they have gotten some love on this forum. They have gotten me down lots of hardpack this year - and through some crud as well. At times they feel a little heavy to me - but at my height, finding more than just a few skis to try can be a real struggle. My Sols do fine for me for now - and I expect a few lessons will help us be an even better match!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
At times they feel a little heavy to me - but at my height, finding more than just a few skis to try can be a real struggle. My Sols do fine for me for now - and I expect a few lessons will help us be an even better match!
It's not a VOLKL and does not have great popularity on this forum, but may I suggest Dynastar as a lighter ski you might like? The Idyll has replaced the venerable Exclusive Legend, which I skied with joy for 3 seasons - and could literally lift when time to carry with my thumb and index finger. It's not a matter of height for me as it is some self-respect for a certain <ahem> age and a somewhat low body weight (i.e., I'm thin). Meaty, hefty skis were just a chore for me, and I hauled one around (carrying is a factor in this!) for at least 4 years before discovering that it didn't have to BE like that. I can handle a "lead stick"...but it's just not my preference. Trying is believing. Brand loyalty can be quite self-limiting. I've even shifted my focus and now have other brands/models I like and would love to own.

Cloud

Diva in Training
Rhodyskier, what would you say was the difference between cloud 8 and cloud 9? and what is your length/weight?

RhodySkier

Certified Ski Diva
Cloud, I'm 5'5'' and weigh 115lb. I'm in my second season of skiing, currently a level 5, maybe 6, skier who stays on the groomers (mostly blues, starting to get into blacks). I would also classify myself as a type 2 skier. I demoed both skis in a 144cm. For now, a shorter ski seems to work better for me.

The Cloud 8 I liked but didn't love. It was easy to turn and fairly stable but didn't have that "wow" factor. I might have felt differently skiing this ski in the 151cm.

The Cloud 9 is stiffer and loves to make these zippy turns which I really liked. It skis faster than the Cloud 8, but also seemed more stable to me. I also felt like I trusted this ski more (if that makes any sense) which helped me to get out of my backseat, lean forward and overall ski with better technique. I had this big grin on my face half-way down the mountain and knew I was in love. I will say that it's definitely a ski for carving and not all mountain so keep that in mind depending on where you like to ski.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Geez, that sounds like a brand of toilet paper!
Uh-oh. Don't get me started. Skis named after popularly known household products? This is harkening back to an old thread about skis named after dead presidents....

So how does one market a ski model named identically as a well-known toilet tissue?
Soft? Strong? Fully biodegradable?
What's next, Charmin?

B

B.E.G.

Uh-oh. Don't get me started. Skis named after popularly known household products? This is harkening back to an old thread about skis named after dead presidents....

So how does one market a ski model named identically as a well-known toilet tissue?
Soft? Strong? Fully biodegradable?
What's next, Charmin?

As long as skis don't take a page from Apple, and name their skis White Pad or something. Ugh, still can't get over the iPad name! :laugh:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
White Cloud and Black Cloud, per nopoleskier in Heaven's Gate thread, she got to try '12's and was way impressed by one of them (forgot which). Double-decker stuff, expansion of Atomic's D2 technology, which I'm not sure impresses me, as it adds SO much weight to the ski. Some of us DO have to haul skis every time: car to shuttle to lodge, reverse. But if it was awesome enough, I'd deal. I'm still shuddering from early riser-plate binding technology and what THAT did to a ski's weight. :eek:

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
White Cloud and Black Cloud, per nopoleskier in Heaven's Gate thread, she got to try '12's and was way impressed by one of them (forgot which). Double-decker stuff, expansion of Atomic's D2 technology, which I'm not sure impresses me, as it adds SO much weight to the ski. Some of us DO have to haul skis every time: car to shuttle to lodge, reverse. But if it was awesome enough, I'd deal. I'm still shuddering from early riser-plate binding technology and what THAT did to a ski's weight. :eek:

Can someone explain the double decker design to me? What are the benefits? Is it like a shock absorber? Rode the lift with Wayne Wong on a local hill and he had a very cool ski with a shock absorber-like binding (Anton ski). Like nothing I've seen before. He was very gracious in describing it to me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva

BiteTheBear

Diva in Training
From what I understand, the Cloud 9 is basically intermediate.
After one day on Volkl Fuegos, I felt like a superstar. The review on the site I bought them from stated they would "set the snow and fire and make you ski like a superhero." And they weren't really exaggerating. They have enabled me to maintain control even while going SO much faster and and really miserable icy conditions. Be warned though; while they will inspire instant improvement, it's a hard ski. I really feeel I need to charge forward and keep them on edge.. if I want to have a lazy day, I'm all over the place! So if you want to kick it up to a more aggressive level, buy these! But if you're still wanting to play it safe and just polish up on the intermediate level, one of the Atomic heaven/cloud series might be a better choice. (Also a friendlier price, I think)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
But if you're still wanting to play it safe and just polish up on the intermediate level, one of the Atomic heaven/cloud series might be a better choice. (Also a friendlier price, I think)
Seriously beg to differ with you with regard to the Atomic Seventh Heaven, as does Ski Canada mag, per their on-snow tests for '11: https://www.skicanadamag.com/Gear/Test/2011/AAM.html#ATOMIC
Volkl Fuego and Atomic Seventh Heaven aren't really on the same page with regard to the type of snow conditions they're intended for.

Jenn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 7th Heavens are super for east coast hard pack. They're not what I'd call a nimble ski but they don't chatter and hold a line no matter what I'm skiing. It's a great ski for our conditions - even fine in spring mush :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga