• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Flair 78

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone demoed these? I think I'm going to change my skis next season. I do love my Temptation 80s, they are so easy to ski and a very good fit for me. However I've always had a small voice in the back of my head saying I need something really super-grippy on boilerplate.

I'm pretty heavy and I do probably overpower the Rossis slightly, and I think I'd like something stiffer - but still easy to ski.

I'm interested in the Flair 81s as well, but I'm swaying towards the 78s as they're more piste-orientated, which is what I ski. I also think they'll give me the confidence I want to rip down icy groomers.

The Rossis are fine, but I think I could find something even better. Plus I've always hankered after Volkls - they're just so pricey!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't been on the Flair but liked the Yumi more than I expected. A bit wider but held very well on short Mid-Atlantic groomers. Fun in small bumps too. For what it's worth, I've always liked Rossi skis in general.

What other brands are easily available to you?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of them really...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Flairs.. they do hold ice, probably as much as the Rossi.. the Yumi was a decent ski but I am a heavy weight and I over powered it... if you are demoing. check out the
RTM 66s Volkl makes they are ice skates. got rave reviews from some gals at my home MT.. Sadly I missed demo days.. (sigh)

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I demo'ed the Flair 78s for a full day at Jiminy Peak a few weekends ago. Conditions were difficult as it had rained hard the day before, i.e. boilerplate galore and death cookies in the am, then heavy chop and slush in the pm. Perfect for demoing, right? I absolutely loved the Flairs and they will likely be my next skis. Fantastic edge grip, turny, stable at speed yet happy at lower speeds when I wanted to practice technique, and cut through the chop well. They gave me incredible confidence in pretty bad conditions (in contrast, I also tried the Black Pearl 78s that day and could not get them off my feet fast enough!)

For reference, I am a solid intermediate looking to advance, work on my carving and become more confident on steeper slopes, and I think these skis will help get me there. I'm 5'7" and about 150 lb, stick to the groomers, more power than finesse, prefer short radius turns. I did some demo runs last season on the Temptation 80s...compared to them, the Flairs to me feel more solid, stable and with better edge grip...which sounds pretty close to what you're looking for. And, prices are dropping now that we are later in the season. Good luck with your decision!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wonder how the Blizzard Alight 7.7 would be? 77 underfoot, turn radius 11.

I like the Head Joy line, but definitely need to demo because they seem to be either good fun or no fun at all depending on the skier.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demo'ed the Flair 78s for a full day at Jiminy Peak a few weekends ago. Conditions were difficult as it had rained hard the day before, i.e. boilerplate galore and death cookies in the am, then heavy chop and slush in the pm. Perfect for demoing, right? I absolutely loved the Flairs and they will likely be my next skis. Fantastic edge grip, turny, stable at speed yet happy at lower speeds when I wanted to practice technique, and cut through the chop well. They gave me incredible confidence in pretty bad conditions (in contrast, I also tried the Black Pearl 78s that day and could not get them off my feet fast enough!)

For reference, I am a solid intermediate looking to advance, work on my carving and become more confident on steeper slopes, and I think these skis will help get me there. I'm 5'7" and about 150 lb, stick to the groomers, more power than finesse, prefer short radius turns. I did some demo runs last season on the Temptation 80s...compared to them, the Flairs to me feel more solid, stable and with better edge grip...which sounds pretty close to what you're looking for. And, prices are dropping now that we are later in the season. Good luck with your decision!

Ooo thank you, that's just what I wanted to hear - and it's good you were able to compare them to the Temptation 80s as well. I'm also the same height as you but a lot heavier, and I'm a piste skier too.

What length Volkls did you demo?

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the Flair 78 163, I'm 5'4" and about 158 lbs. I like them a lot. They are grippy and stable, but at the same time light and easy on the knees. I ski mostly on a small hill in Virgina. As much as I like these, I would not want them to be my one ski quiver, I would choose something in the 80s for the frequently variable conditions I encounter. Although, they handle the chopped up stuff surprisingly well.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They would have to be a one ski quiver for me as I always have to fly to go skiing. They sound good though, easy on the knees is definitely what I want which is why I won't get anything wider than 80.

If you're 5'4" and find the 163s OK, then that's probably the length I need as I'm 5'7".

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I demo'ed the 156s because that was the longest length the demo shop had in stock. I was surprised at how well they gripped and how good they felt at speed even at that length, though agree that at our height, I will go for the 163s if I end up buying them.

kiki

Angel Diva
I have the flair 81 in 156. I am 5"2' and 145 lbs. i love them except on powder days when they suck. The excel on icy days as they really do grip the icy terrain well. If i hit crud they just power through. For areas where there is a road i can speed up in advance and they will glide forever. The back end grips nicely for hockey stops.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They would have to be a one ski quiver for me as I always have to fly to go skiing. They sound good though, easy on the knees is definitely what I want which is why I won't get anything wider than 80.

If you're 5'4" and find the 163s OK, then that's probably the length I need as I'm 5'7".
Yes, I think 163 is your best bet. And, if you are wanting to stay under 80, they really are a great choice.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga