• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Volkl Blaze 86?

MissySki

Angel Diva
As tempting as it is … I love the traditional Volkl feel so I’m hesitant to buy a ski that advertises that it doesn’t have that. I’ll wait to demo for sure.
I usually dislike Volkl overall, and find the Blaze 86 to feel like one of the least Volkl Volkls I’ve skied.. and that’s probably why I love it lol. YMMV of course.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
^^^ exactly why I’m skeptical of it as the right ski fit for me. That said … I’m definitely intrigued and will demo them at some point this season. Honestly, I have yet to meet a Volkl that I didn’t like.
I was part of the Volkl Aura club and I love my Blazes. I was looking for something better for bumps and trees though....

mustski

Angel Diva
I was part of the Volkl Aura club and I love my Blazes. I was looking for something better for bumps and trees though....
My Secret 96 does very well in bumps and trees. Of course, I only go into glades that are pretty roomy. I also enjoy the Rossi Experience 82 ti in bumps. It's one of the reasons I bought it. It's a super fun frontside ski. I'm skeptical that the Blaze would replace either one of them. Truthfully, those 2 skis make a very decent quiver. Not that I'm opposed to having too many skis! :wink:

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Blaze 94 (so not quite the ski y'all are talking about) as my touring ski. I ended up using them in resort a lot last season so I could get used to skiing them and I fell in love. I ended up buying another pair on super discount this fall and had them mounted with a proper alpine binding for resort use this season.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Thank you @former-boarder for another good report! I considered the Blaze 94 but did go with the 86. I received them in the mail today and boy howdy! THEY ARE LIGHT! I’ve never had such a light alpine ski. And I’m sure a lot of you can tell my age from that statement and understand why I might truly appreciate a light ski. I did watch a lot of cowboy shows and Westerns like Roy Rogers and Sky King in my childhood and it shows.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Thank you @former-boarder for another good report! I considered the Blaze 94 but did go with the 86. I received them in the mail today and boy howdy! THEY ARE LIGHT! I’ve never had such a light alpine ski. And I’m sure a lot of you can tell my age from that statement and understand why I might truly appreciate a light ski. I did watch a lot of cowboy shows and Westerns like Roy Rogers and Sky King in my childhood and it shows.
Oh boy.....we need to have a review party!
When will you be able to ski them?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually dislike Volkl overall, and find the Blaze 86 to feel like one of the least Volkl Volkls I’ve skied.. and that’s probably why I love it lol. YMMV of course.
If you happened to read @elemmac 's review....
She made me laugh...
Lauren: In all honesty, I didn’t expect much from the Blaze 86 W. A lightweight freeride ski with an 86mm waist? Sounds about as stable as a donkey in a canoe. I could not have been more wrong.

MissySki

Angel Diva
She made me laugh...
Lauren: In all honesty, I didn’t expect much from the Blaze 86 W. A lightweight freeride ski with an 86mm waist? Sounds about as stable as a donkey in a canoe. I could not have been more wrong.
I did indeed.. she’s actually the one who recommended I demo them last season when I was looking for a narrower ski to work on bumps with. She’s probably one of very few people who could have convinced me it was worth trying a Volkl at that point! :laughter:

elemmac

Angel Diva
She made me laugh...
Haha. I definitely didn’t have much confidence that I was going to enjoy the ski…then I picked it up and felt how light it was, and my confidence got even lower :rotf:. Then I skied it, had a blast, and it become one of my favorites from that demo!
She’s probably one of very few people who could have convinced me it was worth trying a Volkl at that point! :laughter:
That’s some trust right there! Haha! When I mentioned that one to you, I believe I started out with … I know you don’t normally like Volkls, but…

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She’s probably one of very few people who could have convinced me it was worth trying a Volkl at that point! :laughter:

That’s some trust right there! Haha! When I mentioned that one to you, I believe I started out with … I know you don’t normally like Volkls, but…
This is a whole new topic.
Völkl made some construction changes in their key skis a few years ago, that kind of disappointed those die hard Völkl fans. That was short lived and they went back to the traditional Völkl feel with more new construction (think Tailored Technologies ). Of course they've always had some other freeride lines but their key lines have taken center stage. It wasn't until the Blaze collection was introduced in 2020-21 that they started to create a following for a whole new line in the main stream.

I still prefer the "secret" construction over the Blaze for my personal preferences, but I also see the attributes of Blaze and know who its for.
Lots of good skis for a variety of people out there.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just found my size in last year's Sheeva 9 for half price so pondering that instead - @MissySki and @lisamamot, I think you've both got Sheeva 9 and Blaze 86 - probably a stupid question, but which would you pick for firmer snow and more variable conditions? Is 6mm (86 to 92mm) going to make a big difference?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just found my size in last year's Sheeva 9 for half price so pondering that instead - @MissySki and @lisamamot, I think you've both got Sheeva 9 and Blaze 86 - probably a stupid question, but which would you pick for firmer snow and more variable conditions? Is 6mm (86 to 92mm) going to make a big difference?
I'm not Missy or Lisa but the Blaze 86 is better for firmer snow and variable. The Sheeva 9 has a bit more rocker and more of an off piste profile.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not Missy or Lisa but the Blaze 86 is better for firmer snow and variable. The Sheeva 9 has a bit more rocker and more of an off piste profile.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm not sure the 9 would be different enough to the 10 to justify having both, more likely a replacement. Hoping I can get a couple more seasons out of my Rustler 10s though.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I agree, between the Sheeva 9 and the Blaze 86 I’d say the Blaze is better in firm conditions. That being said, I skied the Sheeva for years as a mostly daily driver in the East happily as well.. if it is a glare ice sort of day then my Stocklis come out. When I was looking for a ski in the 80s and ended up with the Blaze, I was looking for something with more grip in firm bumps because that’s what I practice in often and felt I could use a bit more there. Did I do that on the Sheeva too? Yes. Are the Blazes a bit more confidence inspiring for that purpose? Also yes. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga