• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Video of My Skiing :(

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However, it is incredibly useful even if it is painful.

Useful for the instructor, perhaps; it's never been useful for me. When things are pointed out on video, I generally just nod my head and cringe inside. It's so disconnected from any physical movement or sensation of skiing that I get nothing out of it.

Out on the hill, the focus is on what TO do. On video, it's what to NOT do. And even if you point out something I do well, for me, it's still disconnected so it doesn't reinforce good movements.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I think video is one of the most useful learning tools around. Just get someone to video you on your own phone and only you have to look at it. That said, it can be a most humbling experience, even for good skiers. I recall being videoed and thought I was skiing pretty well, but the visual evidence showed my tips were diverging, often a result of too much weight on the inside ski. So now that's something I think about. Anyway, my point is, don't knock video - use it to help you ski better.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been filmed three times: twice at the JHMR ski camps and once at a Steamboat camp and each time, it was atrocious. ATROCIOUS. I absolutely look the WORST on video. I feel like I'm being so awesome and dynamic and I'm really not. Everyone else, I feel like they look so good, and have made great improvements. Then we get to my film, and I want to die. Every. Single. Time. :frown:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm still trying to figure out why having a quiet body and really good technique is a problem. There are a couple of kinds of beautiful skiing I see at my hill. One type of beautiful skiers are hitting glorious arced slalom or GS turns and moving at a good clip. The other type of beautiful skiers are the ones with a very quiet and relaxed body making graceful and totally controlled turns down the run. Some of them are moving along, some of them are skiing slowly. They're still beautiful.
For me it's this - you see two kinds of people at the hill with quiet bodies. One is the type you describe here. The other is the person too scared to move their body because they're going too fast or something else that's scaring them. It's the first person I want to be. And the second person I look like on video.

Christy

Angel Diva
Count me in as another person that is mortified by what they look like on video.

I wonder about these new drone services that film skiers. I have to think many of the people buying the service aren't amazing skiers. I wonder how many people will put their video right into the trash folder.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a great lesson this morning, and towards the end, the instructor said, "OK, look, I'm going to ski two ways. The first way is what you looked like on our first run. The second is what you look like now."

"OUCH" I said after he started making some turns. "No, stop!!!"

It was about as effective as a video, since I got to see clearly what had changed from the lesson. But no lasting evidence!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@contesstant , remind me to NEVER have video taken of myself. GAH. Sometimes there is too much information in life....I just want to have fun. No, that's not entirely true, I do want to improve, just not sure I can hack the physical evidence of my errors :tongue:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think this is only partly true. I have noticed that everyone looks a little worse on video than IRL, actually. I'm not exactly sure why -- I think it might have to do with the fact that most "moving pictures" we see are ski movies, WC races, etc, and that subconsciously we expect the same. Even if we aren't even close to being pros.

But I have taken quite a bit of video where I think, "Wow he/she just killed that!" after seeing it in person, but then on the video it's rather mediocre. Not bad, but not nearly as cool as I thought it was originally, if that makes sense.

Yeah, that's fair. Most ski videos we see are not attainable in any realistic sense. And cherry-picked stills are definitely much more flattering.

I do find video helpful sometimes, though, and thinking, "Well, everybody else already knows this" helps me view it without getting bummed about it. @Skier31 's suggestion to look at it with a specific goal in mind makes a lot of sense. Also when instructors use it as @Bluestsky described - although I did always find it frustrating that her instructor would focus on the positives, maybe he was on to something - a different instructor asked me last weekend to describe what's good about my skiing, and I couldn't think of a. single. thing. Finally stammered something about being good at smearing. This is probably underselling myself just a wee bit.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It is rare for skiers to see themselves for the first time and be excited about the results. However, it is incredibly useful even if it is painful.

True, this. I have mixed feelings about seeing myself ski. On the one hand, I'm very curious. But on the other, I'm always disappointed. So :noidea:.

mustski

Angel Diva
I'm a perfectionist, so every video makes me feel like this. I prefer stills because I can throw out the shots where I look like crap and focus on the ones where I look like a badass.
This is good advice! Most video makes skiers appear slower and flattens out the run so it looks easier than it is. I am not a fan of watching videos of myself, nor do I like havingy picture taken. I think as women we are VERY self critical. I would lay odds that men always think they look awesome! @contesstant I've skied with you through a lot of your transitions, and I think you always look pretty darn good. That equestrian posture pays off for you I think.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After reading through these posts, I would love to see videos of everyone skiing, actually.

I suspect that I'd be rather impressed by everyone (of course, I'm quite certain I am by far the newest most novice skier here!)

When my friends home from Utah (i flew. They drove! ), I'll get to see Gregs go-to video. I know I'm going to be on there. And while I am fairly certain that I'll have the same reaction you're having ( @contesstant ) , thinking that it felt much better than it actually was, I am then going to go back and revisit some of the dreadful video of my first days on skis just a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should share that! Everyone enjoys a good laugh!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, I think that this entire conversation highlights a major problem that women have in our culture. Look at what we're saying. Not all of us, but most of us:

We're not good enough.

No matter how good we are, it's still not enough.

When we are presented with videos, or pictures, or mirror-images of ourselves, we criticize and look for the flaws, and then we stress out about them..

I'm not saying "you" either - because every post in this thread where someone is saying "I hate it when I have to look at this stuff too" is something I, myself, have thought, possibly multiple times a day. At bad times, multiple times an hour.

I think this is a Being A Woman problem. I think - based on a lot of experience - that when average (i.e., not professional athletes) males are presented with images of themselves skiing, for example, their first thought, regardless of what is happening on the screen, is "Wow! I look awesome!!" and that their second thought is to start itemizing all of the great stuff they're doing, or that they imagine they're doing. Pros are different - they have a lot of money riding on identifying all the flaws and fixing them. I'm talking about your Average Joe in the base lodge, or even the Average Joe over on epicski. They might, after some prompting by an instructor, notice that their turns are uneven or something, but that's not the first place they go like it is with us.

It's like that Real Beauty video where women are describing themselves to a forensic artist, and then someone else describes the same woman, and you get totally different pictures.

Contesstant, I'd bet that if you linked us to your video, you'd find that the responses would be "Yeah, if I look hard, I can kind of see what you're talking about, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as you believe it to be, and more importantly, look at this awesome thing and that awesome thing that you were doing!!"

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boy, Serafina, what a great observation. What IS it that we are so hard on ourselves? I think I need to get more video. Maybe I'll ask VickiK to get some of me today on a run where I can let myself rip a little more. I was thinking about my video, and it was at the end of a very challenging full-day lesson, the light had gone flat (behind the mountain) and it was on a run that is a giant bowl that always challenges me anyway. So, I was skiing it VERY conservatively, trying TOO hard to make beautiful turns, and the conditions were tough as it was also cut up a lot with random piles of soft.

Maybe I'll edit it down later (it's really long) and load it. Right now, it lives nowhere but on my phone and my hard drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga