• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Video Camera

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
My son broke my video camera last February . Sooo....after missing out on taking video of the kids skiing for a chunk of last year, I need to brake down and buy another video camera. I want something that is better than just using a camera or a phone; however, I do not want to spend a lot. One of my biggest video problems in the past is seeing in the bright sun. They seem to rate low light cameras, but not bright light situations. Suggestions? My last camera was at least 5 years old, so even the cheaper cameras will probably be an upgrade.

Thanks Divas!

Jilly

Staff member
Take a look at the Go-Pro Hero 3. And you don't have to put it on a helmet!

mustski

Angel Diva
I don't like the Go-Pro (but haven't checked out the 3) because of the camera angle. I find you have to ski right on someone's butt to get good footage. I bought an HD video camera at Best Buy - totally pocket sized -and it shoots such good footage that I have started to using at school for my performers to self evaluate. I am a theater teacher and I just plug the camera into a projector and play it on the big screen without any loss of fidelity. It's awesome! I can even see facial expressions. I use that skiing now. I have to ski ahead and position myself "old school style" but I get crisp, clear video. It's not fancy - just a JVC I paid about $150.00 for.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you give us some more information, please?

Will you be viewing the videos directly on a TV or will you want to import and edit them on a computer? PC or Mac?

What kind of price point are you considering? There is a huge difference between a $150 camcorder and a $600 one.

Are you the kind of person who wants EXTREME clarity on a big screen TV or are you willing to settle for a little less? How much less?
In other words, are you more interested in sharpness and no artifacts on the screen, or are you just trying to capture the image of the kids skiing?

Do you care if it doesn't have a viewfinder? GoPro won't have one. GoPro has some very nice features going for it and it has a place in the sports world. I'm not sure it is the best in all applications. I, for one, hate the little fisheye effect on the edges. Some people like it as an enhanced motion feature. That said, if Santa brought me one with the Backscatter lens for scuba diving, I would be a happy camper.

What else will you use this camcorder for? Indoor holiday shots? Filming the kid's hour-long talent show with a tripod? Boating?

Any other information will give us a better idea to fit your needs.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
If you are looking for a helmet-type of camera (which obviously can also be used in other ways), a competitor to the Go-Pro is the HD Contour. A friend of ours got one last Feb for a Whistler trip, and he came back with some truly RIDICULOUS footage (which I got to edit). NO fish eye effect on this lens. As to hand held, so many options. But this is a worthy helmet-type (mounts on side, securely - like I said, his footage was unreal) to consider. About +-$200.

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone!

You asked for additional information. Not sure how much I need to spend. I was thinking around $200-$300. Use....Probably mostly skiing, possibly choir concerts, or messing around with their friends. My kids are 9, 13, & 13. Since the kids are getting older, my guess is I will mostly be recording their sporting events. I think my biggest issue is seeing what you are recording in the sun. The old one was so hard to see the screen, but it did have a view finder, most of the less expensive ones appear to only have a screen. I am not a true videographer....just want some decent clips throughout the pre-teen & teen years. Fortunately, I have several videos from their coaches last year.:becky:

Recording use--I sometimes make family videos (video & photo combination type thing) from a vacation or something. But, nothing too serious. I actually am more of a photographer and prefer stills.

I am not in a rush...I would just like something by mid January.

Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been impressed with the video clips that I get from my Canon mid-level point-and-shoot camera. Obviously not as high quality as a dedicated camcorder, but more than enough for family vacations and such. Just need to have enough storage capacity.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sounds like you’re probably better off, as noted above, with a good still camera with video capability, versus a dedicated camcorder. My impression is this: the still cameras take better videos than the video cameras take still pics - if that makes sense.

Newer ones usually have image stabilization (highly useful feature), and many can shoot @ 1080. However - caveat - few (if any?) have viewfinders anymore.

This was specifically why I scooped up two Canon Power Shot Elph 1200is's at the end of their run - models afterward excluded viewfinders.

However, I’m told newer LCD screens are better able to cope with strong, direct sunlight. Not sure, still using a beloved viewfinder. But Canons are regularly rated and reviewed at the top of the comparative lists and now have enough models available to perhaps meet your needs.

Good luck.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anytime you are shooting something against a bright background like snow or water, your automatic camera sees the bright light and closes down the lens. All you are going to get is a silhouette on the bright background, because there is not enough light for the subject.

If you to fill the screen with the subject and less with the background, your video will come out better. However, in sporting events when you are zoomed in like that, it is very difficult to hold the camera steady, especially if you have a screen and not a viewfinder.

I suggest that you look for a video camera with a backlight compensation setting. Be sure to get a viewfinder, as well as an LCD screen.

If you are shooting AVCHD video (the high definition format), and you want to edit it, make sure your computer can handle it. Not all editing programs will do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga