• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vancouver Olympics 2010 - Best ski events to watch?

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
We're thinking of going to Vancouver for the Olympics in 2010. It's probably the closest we'll be to a Winter Olympics for quite awhile! We're debating about how long to go right now, and any advice or tips from folks who have been to similar types of big ski events (or other Olympics, if we're that lucky!) would be really helpful.

• What's your opinion as to which events are most fun to watch live? (of alpine racing, aerials, moguls, skicross (like skier X), snowboard cross, etc.)
  • Is it more fun to watch at the stands at the bottom or to watch from midhill somewhere? Is it even possible to watch from midhill?
  • What is it like skiing at a resort like Whistler or Cypress (which I know is smaller) when a big event like this is going on? Is it just pointlessly crowded?

If others are planning on going, maybe we can start a trip planning thread for it over in the trips area. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
Hi,
I'm applying to get tickets for ski events too. If you don't already know, now is the time to apply for tickets at Cosport.com. You apply then find out in mid-December what you got.

All of the below refers to alpine skiing at Whistler--I don't know anything about Cypress events.

What is it like skiing at a resort like Whistler or Cypress (which I know is smaller) when a big event like this is going on? Is it just pointlessly crowded?

First, there's lots we don't know yet about Whistler and spectator access. They haven't decided it they are even going to let private cars drive up there--it might be all shuttle access. Lodging hasn't been released, either--it's still be held for the Olympic committee, which is figuring out how many rooms the athletes/press/ coaches/etc need. There are websites up where private home/condo owners are offering their homes for rent; the ones I've seen usually are renting only for the entire 2 week period, and a 1 bd condo was running around $1000/night (so, 14k for Olympic accomodations). So, it's possible that we won't be able to ski up there--if we can't get overnight accomodation, for example.

If we do end up getting accomodations up there, I seriously doubt the slopes will be crowded. So much of the lodging will be taken up by Olympics people who won't be skiing, and people who want a regular ski vacation sure won't be going there then. Whister is actually quite worried skiers are going to avoid the resort that whole season, since everyone thinks it's going to be crazy all year.

Is it more fun to watch at the stands at the bottom or to watch from midhill somewhere? Is it even possible to watch from midhill?

If you look at alpine ticket sales, you have a choice of A (more expensive) or B seats. They haven't told us if we are allowed to watch mid-mountain. I was there for the World Cup events on the Olympic courses last February, and you could indeed ski on runs that bumbed up against the race course. But, you could only see the racers for a second as they whizzed by, then they turned a corner and trees blocked the view. The official viewing area was only at the end.

What's your opinion as to which events are most fun to watch live? (of alpine racing, aerials, moguls, skicross (like skier X), snowboard cross, etc.)

With alpine racing, you are actually watching most of the race on a huge monitor. Watching GS is kind of cool because you get to see them navigate a number of gates at the bottom (I guess slalom might also be good for that reason, but I don't find slalom very exciting in general). But it is all exciting--even watching most of a downhill or Super G on a screen, people cheer and get really excited.

I am applying for super G tickets on the theory that most people don't know what super g is, and I'll have a better shot getting tickets.

vmec

Certified Ski Diva
Hey,

As a local I hate the fact that Whistler will be gaining more attention. It's busy enough! Anyhow, I also hope to watch and event or 2.

I do think it depends on what you like to watch, personally I find moguls pretty exciting but my bf the park guy, loves the half pipe (olympic event?) and ski jumping.

I'd probably want to watch from near the bottom but on top of the "bottom crowd" so most likely near the middle.

I'll bet accommodations at Whistler are going to be insanely expensive. When they announced the Olympics to be here, hotels got called 8 years in advance... think about the demand- it drives the price through the roof. You will be lucky to find a place for $1000. You're best bet is to find accomodations in Vancouver and do the drive or hop on the shuttle.

Goodluck getting tickets!

Christy

Angel Diva
I applied for men's Super G tickets. *fingers crossed* Those are considered "low demand"--the only ski event that is high demand is downhill.

vmec

Certified Ski Diva
This could be a stupid question...

What are the skiing events? Is there any trick skiing int the Olympics? I know there's ski jumping but that's just how far right? I probably want to see mougls.... bang, bang, bang jump!!!!! bang, bang, bang... jump! LOL.

Jilly

Staff member
Anything but ladies ski jumping. Not an Olympic sport. Freestyle ballet never made it, but moguls and aerials are part of it.
As far as racing - slalom, giant slalom, super G and downhill. There is also combined events medals.
Then your 2 different ski jumping events.
And don't forget the nordic ones!

I'm not sure just what Cypress is hosting vs Whistler. Going to watch it on TV, so I haven't been paying attention.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're going to the ski show this weekend ask the SkiCan group if they're putting on a tour. I'm definately asking that question. We've been toying with the idea of going too.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oops, sorry TsuKata, for some reason I thought you were closer to Toronto.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
Tsukata - I think Christy pretty much answered all your questions much as I would have. I will be volunteering at the world cup events at Whistler this year and to be honest, we don't even know where we will be sleeping yet! I think first and foremost, you will have to secure tickets and then plan from there. As others have mentioned, staying in Whistler will be extremely expensive and prohibitive for many. We have been told that much of Whistler mountain itself will be closed during the event for security reasons. I believe that the only place spectators will be able to watch the alpine races is at the finish line, which is a really exciting place to be (at least I think it is). Again, this is for security reasons. Of course, if you want to ski, you can always go to Blackcomb. I am not certain which events are going to be held at Cypress. Cypress is a small mountain just outside of Vancouver. It has a fabulous view on a clear day over looking the port City of Vancouver. It also has night skiing and lovely night views of the city lights. However, it is small and the snow tends to be rather on the wet side. It would not be my choice for a ski holiday, but absolutely worth a visit if you are coming this way and bringing your skis. I really enjoy the Apline events. It is so exciting!!! I just wish the Olympics were more assessable to all, not just those with deep pockets.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
Christy, I meant to say volunteering at the World Cup Race during the Olympics. You are right, Whistler is not getting a world cup this year (darn). Lake Louise will be the closest.

Jilly

Staff member
Actually they are working on some. A company in the states is taking shipping containers and making them into housing. So your home might have contained this years shipment of christmas toys from China. Recycle!! I think the article was on SkiPress or Ski Canada.

Christy

Angel Diva
In the last few days I've emailed about 30 hotels/b and bs looking for Olympics lodging. About 85% is booked due to media/Olympics people. I've found some relatively reasonable rates (starting at $275--much more reasonable than the private condos I've seen on Craigs list and other sites) at the rest of the places BUT they all have minimum stays of between 7 and 18 days. Some places put me on a waiting list in case they decide to allow shorter stays but I have a feeling this is more to placate people. This is now sounding like such a hassle and as much as I'd love to see an Olympic ski race I'd rather spend the money in Paris or sailing the Turkish coast etc etc.

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A great website to try is www.vrbo.com for private condo/vacation home rentals. You might be able to find something for the Olympics there.
We reserved a condo at Whistler for this year through this site, and we found cheap places at Park City last year.
Hope that helps in your search.

Christy

Angel Diva
I actually did find a hotel in Vancouver that doesn't have a minimum and has reasonable (~$250/night) rates! So we will just go up on the shuttles as long as we get tickets! The other good thing is that I can cancel the reservation. Making it into a ski trip too sounded very unrealistic.

I did try the VRBO--I've done that for other vacations--with no luck. Either owners weren't renting, or were renting for outrageous sums for the entire Olympic period. I tried to sweet talk an owner that we've rented from before into renting with no minimum but no dice. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
The ticket agency has started sending out confirmations to Americans and I am checking my email about every 3 minutes to see if I won the Super G tickets I ordered. Most events were oversubscribed (thus a lottery process), alpine skiing ended up being the 5th most requested, and only 55% of people will get something they ordered.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a volunteer for the bobsleigh and skeleton events for the 2010 WOG. I was Chief of Finish for them for the 2002 WOG. My friend (who was my Asst. Chief of Finish) and I are trying to find some accomodations for our time. We've put ads in the local newspapers and keep looking at craigslist. Nope, VANOC does not provide housing - we had to get "special handling" by our venue manager (we worked with her in 2002) to be put on the active list. We know what a special thing it is to work the Games, so we're prepared to do what we have to to get housing.

As for the best events to watch, in 2002 I had tickets to the men's K120 ski jump finals. I had "A" tickets to it, but I ended up preferring to stand with the "B" crowd up the hill. I stood on the side, at about the K90 distance. It was so cool to see them in the air and land. I think the side view was far better than the bleacher seats that were for the "A" tickets. I'd really want to see women's ski jumping. It's not a watered-down version of the men's jumping. Just like we have women's alpine skiing, bobsled, skeleton, xc, we should have ski jumping.
I've watched many World Cups here in Park City when they held the America's Opening here. You have to really want to watch the race - hike up the hill, bringing all your necessary clothes layers and food for the day (you don't want to make that trek back down and then back up!!!). Slalom is the best to watch, I think. But, I was just watching a women's 15 and up J2 GS race today at Park City - from my vantage point at the bottom of the race lift, it was pretty fun to watch!!

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm a volunteer for the bobsleigh and skeleton events for the 2010 WOG. I was Chief of Finish for them for the 2002 WOG.

Cool! Good luck with housing.

The Seattle papers are theorizing that no news is bad news in terms of tickets, so I'm thinking I didn't get mine. :( They will release more in the second round of sales this spring but only the leftover stuff no one wanted in the first place, so I'm sure there won't be any skiing.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You never know what will be available when the second round of sales come around. If nothing for skiing is available, check to see if snowboard giant slalom is available. I've been working the race chair the past two days and had a chance to watch some of the snowboard folks do their thing. Man, they really carve and move those boards!

I'll venture that, in Vancouver, all curling tickets are long gone :yahoo:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga