• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC April 2024 conditions - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

hennessk

Diva in Training
Welcome! What region do you ski in the most often?

Unfortunately the Divas I know who might have been interested don't arrive start skiing until April 10.
I live in Virginia but ski the Rockies most often. The weather here in Alta is great; our instructor said they expect 3 more storms before closing. I hope that proves true for those heading here on the 10th.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I live in Virginia but ski the Rockies most often. The weather here in Alta is great; our instructor said they expect 3 more storms before closing. I hope that proves true for those heading here on the 10th.
I live in North Carolina. My home mountain is Massanutten. :smile:

Your instructor is a bit of an optimist. Evan of OpenSnow is not expecting any more snow until April 15-16.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Today was a warm spring day at Alta. Everyone I know who are guests at Alta Lodge were heading out as close to 9:15 when the lifts open as they could manage after breakfast. The groomers off Supreme and Sugarloaf were good fun all morning. After a late lunch, it was possible to have fun off Collins but it was becoming more work than fun by 2:30 or so.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 4.58.06 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
It was great to meet you and other Divas at Alta Lodge. I hope you're still there for the storm!
Glad we could connect!

A couple Divas leave on April 15, but a couple others arrive this weekend.

Per usual, my North Country School schoolmate and primary ski buddy, Bill, and I will are sticking around for the closing week. So we'll be here for the next snowstorm. :becky: :snow:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Going to be back to winter temperatures starting tonight, April 14. Lifts open at 9:15. Although could be that the areas that advanced/expert skiers like won't open after the snowstorm until later in the week. It's pretty rare to have Ballroom and/or Devil's Castle open during a spring snowstorm. Usually it's a day or two later after Alta Ski Patrol can do their work. :snow:

From OpenSnow for Alta as of early Sunday morning, April 14:
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 6.20.35 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hard to know exactly how much snow will fall in LCC in the next couple days. For sure it's going to be much colder than the last few days. It was noticeably cooler this afternoon after lunch, especially when there was cloud cover on the Supreme side. The snow near the Wildcat base was pretty fun even at 4:30. @TNtoTaos, JF, and I finished with a couple nice runs down Mambo and into the Saddle gully.

From OpenSnow for Alta the evening of April 14
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 9.59.50 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Today's weather, April 15, didn't come close to the forecast. There was less snowfall and warmer temperatures, and plenty of fog. There was also bursts of sunshine around Supreme. The snow was soft pretty much everywhere by lunch time.

In the late afternoon, it was snowing and melting at the same time around the Wildcat base. Started snowing steadily outside Alta Lodge during dinner time.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 9.24.10 PM.png

DawnL

Diva in Training
We are here at a condo between Snowbird and Alta. We got 10 inches overnight and conditions in the morning were beautiful powder. We spent our time in the Little Cloud Bowl. In the afternoon things softened to spring condition.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are notes about late season at Snowbird from their website.

Mountain Report, Tuesday morning, April 16:
"As of yesterday, skiing and riding in Lower Gad Valley and on Chickadee is done for the season. This means there is no beginner terrain available at Snowbird for the remainder of the season. There is no skiing access below the base of Little Cloud due to construction, nor can you ski down Creek Road to access parking on Wilbere Hill or in the Upper Gad Lot. Advanced and expert skiers are advised. For more details on our spring operation plans, please look here. Thank you for respecting our terrain closures. "

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.25.37 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Solitude is offering a spring pass for $399.

"SPRING FLING PASS

Make the most of spring by spending it at Solitude. Sunny days, soft turns, exciting events, live music, and snow beach après. Is it about the skiing or the party? Who knows - but you can have it all for only $399.

From April 1 to closing day (May 12 or later), you'll enjoy unlimited skiing and riding, food and retail discounts, Pond Skim Beach Party, Last Chance Beach Bash, and more sun and springy snow that you can manage."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Brighton will close for normal operations on April 28, 2024. Night skiing had been extended to April 13. From May 3-19 Brighton has the Milly Meltdown. The Crest 6 lift will be open 9am to 2pm with limited terrain and park features.

Crest 6 opened during the 2023-24 season as the first D-line 6-pack in Utah. Boyne Resorts has D-line lifts at other resorts, including Big Sky and Loon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's the Alta snow report for Mid-Mountain on April 16. The storm total was 8 inches. The forecast was for temperatures to stay relatively cool. But by late morning, it was pretty obvious that it had warmed up quite a bit and the new snow hadn't stayed cold even in the shady areas. Ballroom and Catherine's opened up but Devil's Castle, East Castle, and Baldy Chutes stayed closed.

The snow on the Collins side was heavy even first thing in the morning. Anyone looking for fluffy powder would've been disappointed. The locals who showed up had a ball skiing the "surfy" snow. A few headed straight to the top of High Rustler for their first run. I saw a couple guys straight line Lower Rustler, and they weren't going that fast.

From Alta website on April 16:
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 8.59.04 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 8.59.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 1.29.59 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.21.03 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbird is doing a deal in April for people who don't have a season pass of any kind. Meaning they want to ski Snowbird and need to buy a day ticket. For April 17, the non-profit getting the donation is Recycle Utah. They had a booth at the Alta Earth Day even on April 13.

From Snowbird website:
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 6.01.14 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
At Alta, it did not get over 32 at Mid-Mountain until noon today, April 18. Mineral Basin groomers were good on the Baldy side at 9:30, while the Collins groomers were quite frozen. After lunch time, the terrain that was open off Supreme was great fun. Catherine's, Supreme Bowl, and the gates off Challenger were closed. The gates off Rock 'N Roll for Castle Apron and Devil's Playground were open.

There was corn snow in a few places off Supreme, Sugarloaf, and Collins in the late afternoon. Seemed to be corn in Corkscrew (blue near base of Collins), which doesn't happen very often.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 4.57.38 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Closing Day at Alta comes complete with plenty of snow and assorted traditions. While most people who show up are locals, there are also regulars from out-of-state who are around too. Most of the party-type activity is on the Collins side, especially in the Wildcat parking lot and on the Goldminer's deck. Except for the Wildcat double, the lifts run normal hours.

Alta announced quite a while ago that parking reservations are required for April 21. Probably been full for weeks. Reservations were not required for Fri-Sun for April.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.05.45 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna