• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unequal access and the outdoors

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is certainly, in my experience, true to say that my African immigrant students are not afraid to go different places and experience all they can.

After you've moved permanently from one continent to another across an ocean and a vast cultural divide, I imagine it's not as intimidating.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@pinto To your point about economic and travel barriers, they absolutely exist for hiking. @Christy made the point beautifully, and I will add only that even if you're highly motivated to go for a hike despite a dearth of information or role models, getting from an urban area to the woods without a vehicle is hard.

Oh for sure, depending on the setting ... I just don't know how they qualify "hiking" as an outdoor activity. What about a 20-mi-walk in Central Park or DC's Rock Creek? Still, getting from an urban area to the woods is often going to be less onerous than getting from an urban area to snowy woods with gear, clothing, and a lift ticket. And I imagine not all minorities live in urban areas, either. I don't know those stats right now.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just don't know how they qualify "hiking" as an outdoor activity. What about a 20-mi-walk in Central Park or DC's Rock Creek?

Good question. Maybe not hikes, but I've been at Rock Creek, and while it's packed with people, it still gives you a ... breath of fresh air, nature wise.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
So, full disclosure, this is a blog post from my company, but it's incredible. It's an interview with Barbara Hillary, who was the first African American woman to reach both the North and South poles, and she did it at SEVENTY NINE. Many of the things she says about her childhood and the outdoors made me think back to this thread:
https://www.hikingproject.com/blog/4280/barbara-hillary-favorite-boundary-breaker

I don't really have a larger point except that I think the people who've been in this thread would enjoy reading the article. She's hilarious and inspiring and it's just a really interesting interview.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So, full disclosure, this is a blog post from my company, but it's incredible. It's an interview with Barbara Hillary, who was the first African American woman to reach both the North and South poles, and she did it at SEVENTY NINE. Many of the things she says about her childhood and the outdoors made me think back to this thread:
https://www.hikingproject.com/blog/4280/barbara-hillary-favorite-boundary-breaker

I don't really have a larger point except that I think the people who've been in this thread would enjoy reading the article. She's hilarious and inspiring and it's just a really interesting interview.

How inspiring! Thanks so much for the link!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

newboots

Angel Diva
A younger friend and I were discussing (ahem) the unfortunate fact that it's no longer acceptable to have a martini at lunch during work. (It was a rough day, okay?) This led to a discussion about Mad Men and my intolerance of the sexism on that show. It just isn't fun or enjoyable; I cringe when I try to watch it. (My full disclosure - I grew up with that sh*t. Age 63 now.)

My 40-something friend said that in her experience, all people she knows in my generation can't tolerate Mad Men. Her father, in particular, cringes at his own history of sexism and just can't enjoy it.

The sexist behavior in that show was a reality in my childhood and adolescence, and was just beginning to change in my years after college. Yet when I see it on TV, it's foreign and bizarre. And horrifying. We still have far to go. Too many judges blaming women and excusing men for rape. Too much domestic violence blamed on the victim. Too few women in power - corporate, government, or otherwise. I could go on.

I can only try to put myself in the position of African-American, or other racial, ethnic, or religious minorities. Despite the sexism I grew up with, I'm in a very privileged position - inherited, not earned. I had a first-class education, and got a Ph.D. I have a professional job. Sure, I am quite capable. But much of this came to me through an accident of birth. I can take up skiing and feel reasonably welcomed on the slopes, and downright encouraged by most people I encounter. Nobody stares at me as though I'm an outsider. I can afford the lift tickets, equipment, endless purchases of various layers, and all the gasoline. I am privileged, and very lucky.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A few more links related to Barbara Hillary. What an inspiration! She became a cancer survivor, two different types, before deciding to work towards going to the North Pole. She reached the North Pole in 2007 and the South Pole in 2011.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013...t-black-woman-north-south-pole_n_2877984.html

" . . . At age 67, Hillary survived lung cancer. As a result, she had surgery that caused her to lose 25% of her breathing capacity. This was her second cancer occurrence, having survived breast cancer the first time in her 20s. After her retirement from nursing, she became interested in Arctic travel. After photographing polar bears in Manitoba, Canada, she fell in love with the beauty of the North. When she learned that no black woman had reached the North Pole, she sought to become the first one. . . ."

- See more at: https://www.blackpast.org/aah/hillary-barbara-1931#sthash.LeZXEVv9.dpuf

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A younger friend and I were discussing (ahem) the unfortunate fact that it's no longer acceptable to have a martini at lunch during work. (It was a rough day, okay?) This led to a discussion about Mad Men and my intolerance of the sexism on that show. It just isn't fun or enjoyable; I cringe when I try to watch it. (My full disclosure - I grew up with that sh*t. Age 63 now.)

So, not to divert from the discussion on poc in skiing, but if you have Amazon Prime there is a show called Good Girls Revolt that is about the women of a News magazine that sued for discrimination in the 60s/70s. It was based off of true events. Sadly, but not surprisingly, it got cancelled despite really solid reviews, I guess because it is focused on women? But, it's a really interesting look at that time period and it felt much more relatable than Mad Men (although equally infuriating for similar reasons). And its worth a watch even though it's only one season.

newboots

Angel Diva
I love #unlikelyhikers - a poetic name for awesome people. It's wonderful that we are starting to come around to the idea that we don't all need to be slender, young, white, stunning models, just to be people in the world. And hikers. And skiers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga