• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ultralight down vests

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, it was 60 degrees when I left my house today. :D

Anyway, I went to REI to get some stuff for camping trip this weekend. Noticed that they had just stocked the Marmot Venus vest and Patagonia Down Sweater vest, so I tried them on, and I'm reporting back.

I wear a small in the Patagonia Down Sweater, but the small in the vest was too small -- not in the girth, but the shoulders seemed really narrow and it was very short. The medium fit better except it was a little too roomy in the waist area.

The Marmot is cut differently, quite a bit longer, and not as contoured as the Patagonia. Much more up and down. The small fit okay, except it was a little tight across the chest. Medium fit better, especially to layer underneath.

SO ... fyi. Marmot was $130, Patagonia was $150. Seems excessive, I'll definitely be waiting for sales (or Christmas).

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Patagonia down sweater and a Marmot vest---but, my Mountain Hardware down sweater is sooooo much lighter than either of them. Someone stole my Mt. hardware last winter---i am ready to order another one, they are awesome.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you looked at the Land' End down vest/sweaters? The ones from last year were pretty light.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I have a Lands End down sweater, but they don't make the vest yet, apparently. (I was just checking the website again, in fact, lol)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
they don't make the vest yet, apparently.
And I have no idea why not. :noidea: The Snowpak jacket is a great deal; they could have just "cut" the sleeves off. There is a new chevron-quilted-style vest, however. No idea of weight or other specs.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw this thread as I have also been contemplating an insulated vest purchase.

I'm with you Pinto - all down vests seem WAY too expensive. I'm partial to synthetic insulation anyways, so hopefully I can find something cheaper. Even at the Patagonia outlet the Micropuff vest is over $100.

I saw that Backcountry.com has last year's Mont Bell lightweight down vest on sale for $60 - but it's only available in red. Still - great deal and I LOVE their stuff.

Remember REI's still having their fall sale and members get 20% of one non-sale item.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Don't limit yourself to just the traditional ski wear brands in this search, be it down or synthetic. There are some great choices with LL Bean, Lands' End and even Eddie Bauer (who is having some kind of online down garment special on 10/20, FWIW).

There's a "blend/fade" model (thinsulate) at LLB that's awfully cute:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66165?from=SR&feat=sr#BVRRWidgetID

Among many others.
Hope you have a successful search! "Expand" your horizons in searching - there are deals to be found.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yeah, I have a Lands End down sweater, but they don't make the vest yet, apparently. (I was just checking the website again, in fact, lol)
They do have a new diagonally quilted down vest, but I got one and did NOT like the outer fabric at ALL. Nothing like the aforementioned sweater (which is awesome). Darn. Sent it back.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL, after seeing my jackets fold up into their petite little pockets, a friend has a crush on my Northface down jacket/sweater and my LE down jacket that I got on sale after your extensive posting and waiting about a month without any abatement in drooling (I still say I "need" two of them, because one could tear or something, right?). I've been watching LE to see if they'll reintroduce it this year, but I don't see the Snowpack 700 down jacket yet. Does the Morgan fold up into it's own pocket? Didn't see that listed on the website, so I'm thinking it doesn't. Do you know if LE might introduce this later in the season, as weather gets colder? I know you're not in the LE corporate office, but I thought you might know if they introduce all their outerwear at once, or if they'll continue to introduce things through the year. That Snowpack jacket is such a great price.

There are some of last year's left on overstocks, but not the right size.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Corporate office, ha! :laugh: But what I get for living within an hour of "world hq" for 26 years? Anyway, the Snow Pack 700 is still available as an overstock, fewer sizes/color options:
https://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket~206741_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::SPB&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000141&origin=index

Morgan does not fold into own pocket (like the former), but I like these pockets, and the jacket does compress down pretty far. Also in overstocks:
https://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensMorganDownJacket~206799_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::SPB&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000141&origin=index

Hopefully, the discount code comes up in these links; otherwise, see post above for codes.

You know what? If you want to know answers to above, the better option is to either get on "live chat" or call them directly. Customer service is really good - if they don't know, they'll either find someone who does or get back to you - and they will want to know what's happening with the crazy NE weather, for sure!

LadyLes

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Marmot down vest. I got it during an end of season deal last year, so I haven't had much of a chance to try it out, but so far I like it a lot. I like the longer length that matches my longer torso (and helps keep my bum covered and warm!:p) and it seems pretty lightweight to me. And yes, I definitely did not pay full price for it...think I got it for somewhere around $60 online.
Good luck in your search!

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got the Patagonia down sweater vest. I'm short-waisted, so the cut and proportions work for me and I'm really happy with the fit.

This will replace/supplement a fleece vest that I sometimes wear for extra core insulation, can't wait to try it out!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga