• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tuning : how often does everyone wax/sharpen their skis?

It doesn't penetrate the bases nearly as well. It might be fine for summer storage, but I'd get them waxed up properly before skiing them next season. The waxing part of waxing is not messy, but the scraping part most definitely is!

Eh ok. Maybe I'll get some of the rub on stuff for summer and then one by one take them to my guys for a tune up when next season rolls around. I get a discount cause I work at the mountain so really pretty inexpensive. Noone sharpens edges like Paul :smile:

Thanks for answering all my ??

I am assuming i don't want to or shouldn't put summer wax on my redsters. I bought a brand new pair at 40% off near the end of the season so they've never been skied on.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am assuming i don't want to or shouldn't put summer wax on my redsters. I bought a brand new pair at 40% off near the end of the season so they've never been skied on.
Only if there's a chance of moisture rusting the edges, otherwise, I wouldn't.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use an old steam iron that doesn't steam anymore. The biggest hazard is getting the wax too hot. It smokes and if your iron is too hot it can delaminates the skis. I have a iron temp testor (about $3 at fabric store) so I know that anything above low is too hot. Ski specific is better, but I am frugal. I get all temp wax in bulk from Www.tognar.com. You might also look for an edge sharpening tool since just a couple light scrapes at wax time can keep your edges sharp, and less likely to rust. Yes, I admit to being a bit of a gear head. I hate cleaning up the waxing mess so I usually do my storage wax at ski school or in the driveway over sawhorses. But I have waxed skis in a hotel room. IMHO frequent waxing is more important than the wax used. I just use all temp all the time.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a travel iron. I have never had an official waxing iron. Sorry. The wax never smokes and I NEVER leave the iron on one place. It's always moving over the base. I have used Hertle Hot Sauce for more than 20 years. It serves me well in all conditions.

I leave a pair of skis in Germany with friends. I didn't ski in Austria for 2 years and when I got back there this year, the wax was white and the edges were rusty, despite all normal precautions.

First, I scraped the wax and reheated it. Then, I scraped again. All the white was gone. I resumed my normal one every 3 ski days protocol (2 days if it's icy or corny) and they were perfect! I used an edger on the worst of the rust. The remainder was gone when I reached the bottom of my first run.

What I'm trying to say is that if you wax before storage, you could still have problems, but they were easily resolved.

BTW, in the storage room, be sure not to rest the skis on the floor or leaning against the wall unless they have something to rest on. I used pieces of styrofoam as insulation on the floor and walls. Also, be sure not to lock the skis together with the ski brakes. If you must, be sure to separate the bases where they touch. I can guarantee rust at those points.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
This might not be the best technique - but I wax and sharpen edges based on how the ski feels. I definitely take it at the beginning of the season to be sharpened and waxed - this is usually when the snow is the hardest too, so I l like a little bit more edge. If it's a regular snow season, I don't usually sharpen edges again. If it get icy towards the end, I might sharpen them again. But I'm a pretty consistent one edge sharpening per season girl. For waxing, it will probably be a few times over the season. Whenever they start to feel sluggish, I'll wax them. The one exception is when it gets very cold, I'll wax more consistently. We will often have a couple of weeks in Dec, Jan or Feb when the temps are consistently below -20c. Though my limit for skiing is basically -25c - I won't really ski when it's below that. It's not fun if you can't ever warm up.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The one exception is when it gets very cold, I'll wax more consistently.
I guess this is a testament to the huge differences in temperature range we have: I wax more when it's warmer! Of course, "very cold" here in Oregon starts at about 15ºF/-10ºC, still serviceable with universal wax, and "warmer" means 50ºF/10ºC, where you have to have some fluoro. :wink:

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ask DH to wax my skis when he's waxing his board. :wink: He isn't comfortable doing edges, so I think I'll be taking them to a shop about once a season for that. I got a gouge in my base a couple of weeks ago going over a rock, so I'll take them in at the end of the season to get that repaired. I want my skis to stay pristine and gorgeous even if I'm using them - is that too much to ask??

All our skis are in their bags ready to go off to our climate controlled storage unit so we'll deliver them there in a couple weeks. They'll stay there until the fall. I will grab my rock ski carvers in October just in case I feel like riding the WROD at Killington and the rest will come home the first weekend of November.

I always start off the season with a fresh sharpening and wax on each pair of skis when its getting close to their time to come out and play. I like razor sharp edges so I usually bring the skis after that when I feel like they need some edge sharpening and/or some new wax. Sometimes I do this monthly, sometimes its every other month. How often they go all depends on how much that particular ski is getting used. My employee discount makes even the monthly tune ups very affordable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga