• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tunes or no tunes

newenglandskigrl

Certified Ski Diva
So this is an ongoing discussion I have with my friends.

My helmet has speakers so you can play your ipod, mp3 player and hear your music. I sometimes find the music distracting while not skiing (cahir lift, etc.), but love music while on the slopes. If I am at a mountain that is new, I usually do not bring the music along so I can pay attention. I have other ski buddies, who NEVER ski without their music...they say it makes it all the better.

What does everyone think? OK to iisten to tunes? And if so, what are your favorite ski songs?

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an ipod so could listen to music, just never do. I being a nature person, Love to ski without music. I also like to know I can hear those around me if need be. Has saved me from being run into a few times. Plus, skiing and the sound of skiing for me is all I need when ski. Can not really explain it. It is just peaceful for me!! :ski: :smile:

I also notice that those who ski or snowboard who are listening to music can not hear someone if need be.

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with Jcb2ski - I never listen to tunes when I ski. I have taken my mp3 player up and listened on the chair lift on days when I'm skiing by myself, but even then, I find I forget to put it back on most of the time. I'm pretty in the moment when I ski. Maybe music would make skiing better, but I think skiing is already in the perfect range, so I don't want to mess with that. And I also like to hear what's going on around me - even hearing the feedback from my own skis. I think I'd miss that if I had an mp3 player on.

Elsbeth

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I used to be firmly in the no-tunes camp -- until I tried them. Now I absolutely love to ski with music. I have speakers in the ear flaps of my helmet that are wired to an ipod shuffle I carry in my jacket pocket. I don't keep the music very loud, so I can hear what's going on around me. The device has a mute button, too, so I use that when I'm on the lift with other people.

I like a variety of music when I ski, but I think my favorite is The Beach Boys (yeah, I'm that old). I'm not even that big of a Beach Boys fan, but there's something about that music when I'm skiing that just does it for me. Maybe it's because it's exuberant and happy and sunny sounding, so it reflects how I feel when I'm skiing. Or maybe it's just because I grew up on the beach. Who knows.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
what is it about skiing to music that brings out our inner music dork?? I ski to a shuffle play, but have to admit that i LOVE skiing to Shania Twain. (the energy? i adore Tom Waits, but if you ski to his music, you might never make it down the hill!)

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I like a variety of music when I ski, but I think my favorite is The Beach Boys (yeah, I'm that old).

OLD?! No way. The Beach Boys were originally before my time, but Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever, sez me and lots of people a decade or more my junior!
:D

As for music, not for me. My time in the out of doors is sacred, and I never listen to music skiing, running, or hiking. I like being outside and listening to what's around me too much. I've never been much of a headphones girl.

Although. . . for some odd reason, Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name" has ALWAYS made me think of ripping big turns. Why? Absolutely NO idea, but I hear the song and I think "SKI!"

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a no-tunes girl. I like to be aware of everything around me. There are times when I call out "on your right" or "on your left" and I feel like folks don't hear me. I do sometimes sing -- very poorly -- to myself. When I take a spill, I sometimes sing Chumbawumba's "I Get Knocked Down"....

-laine

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
No tunes for me. I tried it a couple of times, but found that I was too into the music to pay attention to what was going on around/behind me.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've never listened to music while I ski (and don't have the option as I didn't even realize that some helmets were iPod compatible). One day recently, though, I thought I might have enjoyed it: skiing alone, gorgeous sunny day, very few people on the hill, almost always solo on the chair - and I thought that, yeah, some tunes might be nice.

Forgot to add some names of bands/artists on my ski playlist: Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Seal, Jurassic Five, Spoon, Incubus, Public Enemy, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wolfmother, Beck, Black Eyed Peas, and Sneaker Pimps.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only music I want to hear skiing is the ssssch.... wooosch.... sssssch.... wosssch.... made by my skis .... thats the real music on the slopes.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I'm with missyd on this one!:smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll almost always find me rockin out, unless I'm racing. I love that music gives you a rythm to help play with the mountain and it quiets the negative voice in my head.

With music I stop thinking and start skiing!

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll almost always find me rockin out, unless I'm racing. I love that music gives you a rythm to help play with the mountain and it quiets the negative voice in my head.

With music I stop thinking and start skiing!

Ditto this! I always can still hear my skis (whoosh whoosh) and those around me...but quiet music in the background (even classical) gives me the "distraction" i sometimes need from that little voice in my head that says "you can't do this!!!" or some such nonsense.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forgot to add some names of bands/artists on my ski playlist: Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Seal, Jurassic Five, Spoon, Incubus, Public Enemy, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wolfmother, Beck, Black Eyed Peas, and Sneaker Pimps.

I'm thinkin' you have teenagers to have such a current list going!:laughter:

I've never thought much about skiing with music - but I used to run/train for marathons and I can say I never ran with music, so I'm guessing I'd choose not to ski with music either. First, I think it's a safety issue, at least a little. Even on low volume, you're listening to music which is going to split your focus from your surroundings, even if just a little. (just like talking on a hands-free cell and driving) Second, I always used the time running to be alone with myself and sometimes sort out my problems. Last, when I got into a groove with a song I wouldn't want to change to the next song as inevitably it had a slightly different beat. 'Course that was back when I had a walkman (ooh, dating myself). Surely an iPod would be easier!

Now, music blaring from the lodge while waiting for a lift? Sure!:thumbsup:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The ones in bold plus Theory of a Deadman, Default, Nickleback, Puddle of Mudd, Green Day, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Tantric, Days of the New, Mad Season, Matchbox, Seether, and many, many others. Also some older classic rock like Rush, Black Crows, and Allman Brothers, then the odd 80s, reggae, and blues, and pop song.

I'm probably too old to be liking all the new, alt, head-bangin stuff, but it is what it is :cool:.

abc

Banned
The only music I want to hear skiing is the ssssch.... wooosch.... sssssch.... wosssch.... made by my skis .... thats the real music on the slopes.
Same for me.

I don't multi-task well. So I simply can't hear the music when I'm skiing (or for that matter, driving or working). I know some of my co-workers have earphones on when they're working. I can't. When I drive short distance with musics on, I either miss my exits or I don't notice what song was on. The only time I have the music on in the car is if I'm driving for hours (getting to the slopes), because the music DISTRACTS enough to make the time goes faster on a boring drive. But I don't want time to go faster when I ski! :wink:

When I want to listen to music, I listen to music. Sitting in front of the stereo or in a concert hall. "Background music" is just not my thing.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Forgot to add that my 6yo son likes to ski in his *Lucky Tee,* a purple, Trunk ltd. (read super hip, vintage-style) Journey tee that Santa found for him, and, when he's psyched, sing "Don't Stop Believing" at the top of his little lungs. He especially likes it when Mommy sings along and we get funny looks. So those are my musical ski accompaniments.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna