• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Trip to Park City questions

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all…
After talking it about it for 2 years now, I think we are finally going to get out West (hoping vivid variants don’t interfere with this idea ….again). I have skied out in CO, but it’s been 25+ years & my son (17), who is an avid skier (and Jr Ski Patroller) has been itching to get out there….We are set on skiing Park City & Deer Valley (my son has a friend who works at DV & we have IKON passes & figure if we are in Park City, we should ski there as well). My husband, who doesn’t really ski is coming along as well, but he does not have equipment, so will need to rent. So, here are some of my questions?
-guessing it will be best to rent equipment for my husband at a local shop vs the resorts? Any recommendations from local divas would be appreciated.
-transportation from airport? Do we need a rental car ( I have heard once in PC, there is no need for a car), so wondering if there are shuttle/airport van/limo services or would an Uber be an option?
-My son & I are bringing our skis; thinking of buying a sport tube to fit both sets. Any other travel/packing tips?
-we do know a local family, but would also appreciate any other restaurant recommendations.
Thanks in advance …..

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not skied PC in years, but speaking to rentals anywhere, I prefer renting at the base as it makes it much easier to switch out boots if the fit is not quite right. Especially since skis also have to be readjusted.

Have fun, and let's do some intermountain West snow dances.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like a fun trip. What month are you going?

Not worth renting a car for Park City. I think Canyons Shuttle handles Park City.

Getting Uber from the airport is usually okay. I wouldn't could on it the day you are leaving though.

A double Sportube is a good investment if you are planning other ski trips that involve flights.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point about renting at the base …and yes, snow dance indeed …..we need it badly here in the east & of course, would love to have a big dump for when we come out west!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are planning on February (it’s school vacation week here …the week of Presidents Day). I hear you on the Uber; our flight home is earlier in the day, so that could be an issue. I am looking into shuttles, but will also be calling the Marriott to see what the can suggest. Thank you so much …

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once you are in Park City you do not need a vehicle. There is a wonderful bus system that goes pretty much everywhere. Multiple lines and schedules. If you’re staying right in Park City then you don’t even have to deal much with the issue of transfers. To save money I usually stay further out.

My last trip I ended up taking a last minute shuttle out. A little expensive but they were able to turn and collect me from a delayed flight that didn’t get in until after midnight. It’s my understanding, and this is now the year before the pandemic, that it is harder to get an Uber out late at night because the drivers are not likely to be Park City residents. It sounds as though you have enough people and gear that you might want to just book yourself a shuttle to be certain. They met me at the airport and sent me a text with the drivers face and the license plate number of the vehicle. And since it was late and easy to find me pretty much met me at the door of baggage claim! YMMV, of course!

I hope to get back to Utah this winter. But I have not booked anything since I can go weekdays. Waiting to see what the variants do. :frown:

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
We’ve used a company called canyon transportation in the past. There is a booth right next to baggage claim though I reserved in advance.

It will be crowded that week for sure and DV may sell out some days.

We’ve been to Park City a bunch in the past few years. I don’t really love Any of the restaurants. It seems like the high end of NYC prices and not the high end of food. Lots of stuff is pretty good but nothing made me want to post it on Instagram. (Well I’ve never posted anything on Instagram but…)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
More generically: FWIW, I have found that for a group of people and luggage, sometimes a car/limo service is worth it to/from an airport. And when on vacation, these are businesses that often cater to business travelers, so they are off-peak for them at your vacation time. It’s not CHEAP, but it’s super reliable, clean, no-fuss transportation door-to-door.

I’m a princess though, so keep that in mind.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My theory is that it is vacation, so being a princess is completely justified ... :becky:.The rental car prices are pretty high right now & I just don't see us "needing"a car; hotel has a shuttle to both PC & DV ski resorts. Thanks for the input; searching out some services now ....

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We’ve used a company called canyon transportation in the past. There is a booth right next to baggage claim though I reserved in advance.

It will be crowded that week for sure and DV may sell out some days.

We’ve been to Park City a bunch in the past few years. I don’t really love Any of the restaurants. It seems like the high end of NYC prices and not the high end of food. Lots of stuff is pretty good but nothing made me want to post it on Instagram. (Well I’ve never posted anything on Instagram but…)
Thank you ...Canyon Transport came up in my search! Good to know about the restaurants, so will keep my expectations in check :smile:

Bookworm

Angel Diva
The food at Deer Valley, although expensive, is very good. I ate at High Noon Saloon, where they make the whiskey, and I thought the food was wonderful. It's Park City, so pricey. If you're in a condo you can always go to a grocery store to buy food as well. I remember a decent store near the Hilton Garden Inn.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any other travel/packing tips?
Even though these threads were started a few years ago, probably mostly still relevant for people starting to plan trips that involve flying. Feel free to ask questions.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My theory is that it is vacation, so being a princess is completely justified ... :becky:.The rental car prices are pretty high right now & I just don't see us "needing"a car; hotel has a shuttle to both PC & DV ski resorts. Thanks for the input; searching out some services now ....
Although I can’t remember the names, there is 1 and possibly 2 rental companies that have on-mountain shops at both DV and PC. That might be the way to go since you’re skiing both. For a very unique on-mountain lunch try Rime, a seafood and raw bar place, at the top of the gondola at DV if they are open (I haven’t been to DV since Covid and some of their operations may have changed). Where else can you get a Maine lobster roll on top of a mountain in Utah

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Although I can’t remember the names, there is 1 and possibly 2 rental companies that have on-mountain shops at both DV and PC. That might be the way to go since you’re skiing both. For a very unique on-mountain lunch try Rime, a seafood and raw bar place, at the top of the gondola at DV if they are open (I haven’t been to DV since Covid and some of their operations may have changed). Where else can you get a Maine lobster roll on top of a mountain in Utah
Thank you ….I have found a few shops that seem to be close by to our hotel, so will make a few calls. That lunch sounds fabulous …will definitely have to check that out!!

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome (in advance) to Park City!
1. Transportation: I travel extensively for work (again, sigh) and use a company called Peak Transportation ([email protected]). It's not cheap -- but they make my life easier. Audra and the team are great.
2. Rentals: I've used the cole sport at the base of PMCR for years; they're right there, also have a location in town, and are pretty good about mid-day swaps (e.g., when i'm demo-ing to find new toys!)
3. Food. A lot of the stuff on Main street is okay. I like in Kimball Junction which may be a bit of a trek. A few off the beaten path recommendations: Sammy's (great food), Bonny & Clyde (new - great sandwiches), new Ramen Bar over by the Whole Foods called Hana Ramen Bar - not fancy, no liquor license ---but the Ramen is GREAT. If you end up over in Kimball, there's a new breakfast/coffee place called Cupla that is delightful. Also the sandwiches (lunch only) at Chop Shop.

I'm really, really hoping that the holiday crowds are not too nuts....but the folks at Peak have told me to expect a LOT of travellers. :smile: Have fun!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
We stayed in Deer Valley this past spring. It's a spendy place but worth it! LOVE IT THERE. We used Black Tie Ski Rental and were very pleased with them. They brought us different skis each night as conditions warranted and my hubby's desires to try different skis changed. They concierge them right to your condo and had some of the better quality skis that we were used to skiing on. The only trouble I had was getting black pearls, (they had shorter ones but not my size) so I skied volkls instead. I enjoyed the change and trying the comparable skis. You need to call ahead if you want a very specific ski. IF you have any plans to go up to the canyons to ski Alta/Snowbird, it's nice to have a car to do so, it's about an hour drive from Park City. But that should be a weather dependant decision because the one day we went ended up being such dense fog it was impossible to ski and a wasted day. :( Check the summit cameras and weather report before going. I can't imagine driving up there if it's a snow day. Holy cow.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome (in advance) to Park City!
1. Transportation: I travel extensively for work (again, sigh) and use a company called Peak Transportation ([email protected]). It's not cheap -- but they make my life easier. Audra and the team are great.
2. Rentals: I've used the cole sport at the base of PMCR for years; they're right there, also have a location in town, and are pretty good about mid-day swaps (e.g., when i'm demo-ing to find new toys!)
3. Food. A lot of the stuff on Main street is okay. I like in Kimball Junction which may be a bit of a trek. A few off the beaten path recommendations: Sammy's (great food), Bonny & Clyde (new - great sandwiches), new Ramen Bar over by the Whole Foods called Hana Ramen Bar - not fancy, no liquor license ---but the Ramen is GREAT. If you end up over in Kimball, there's a new breakfast/coffee place called Cupla that is delightful. Also the sandwiches (lunch only) at Chop Shop.

I'm really, really hoping that the holiday crowds are not too nuts....but the folks at Peak have told me to expect a LOT of travellers. :smile: Have fun!
Fantastic, thanks so much, @BonStarlet ...great info & after reviewing our calendar, we have moved our trip to the first week of March, in hopes to avoid some of the holiday/vacation crowds. Since it is school vacation week here, the airfare was super high; a lot less to travel a week later & since my son is a senior this year, not super concerned with taking him out of school - I mean, skiing in UT is certainly a good reason to miss a few days of school. :love:

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We stayed in Deer Valley this past spring. It's a spendy place but worth it! LOVE IT THERE. We used Black Tie Ski Rental and were very pleased with them. They brought us different skis each night as conditions warranted and my hubby's desires to try different skis changed. They concierge them right to your condo and had some of the better quality skis that we were used to skiing on. The only trouble I had was getting black pearls, (they had shorter ones but not my size) so I skied volkls instead. I enjoyed the change and trying the comparable skis. You need to call ahead if you want a very specific ski. IF you have any plans to go up to the canyons to ski Alta/Snowbird, it's nice to have a car to do so, it's about an hour drive from Park City. But that should be a weather dependant decision because the one day we went ended up being such dense fog it was impossible to ski and a wasted day. :( Check the summit cameras and weather report before going. I can't imagine driving up there if it's a snow day. Holy cow.
...that sounds great, I love the idea of skiing different skis for the conditions; may have to rethink bringing my skis (I have Black Crows Camox Birdies). I am thinking they will be fine for UT snow - they are definitely not my favorite for East Coast hardpack, but when things are softer or I get into the trees, they are a dream! Since we are only going to be there for 5 days, I am not sure we will venture to Alta/Snowbird; just an excuse to go back someday, I guess. I have heard that the drive can be rough, so thinking if we did that, we would just stay there & avoid Park City.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Luvs2ski, I’m happy to report that the on-mountain raw bar/lobster roll spot I mentioned at DV, Rime, is open daily 11-3 for lunch. Check it out if you can at the top of the Jordanelle gondola. It’s not affiliated with DV - the DV customer service rep had no idea what I was talking about when I called about it. I emailed Rime directly and got the thumbs up. Best to hit it on a bluebird day so you can sit outside and enjoy the expansive views over the Jordanelle reservoir and the Wasatch back, including the new Mayflower ski resort for which construction has now begun. I’ll be out there Feb. 13-18 so if you want any more details, let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna