• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tree skis recommendation?

Saraski

Diva in Training
Hello, I should NOT buy a third pair of skis within one year but let me dream (and maybe I'll get lucky on a good end of season sale in a few months) BUT the final ski I want for my quiver is a good pair of tree skis. I have a pair of chargers (volkl secret 96), powder skis (line pandora 110) and my old "all-rounder's" that I'm trying to replace with more specialized skis (2015 k2 potion 98ti). I'm an advanced skier but I don't intend to charge on these skis, just you know maybe a few casual groomer laps while I'm prioritizing side country.

I'm at a bit of a loss of how to categorize/search for this kind of ski (all mountain? free ride?), but I want something that feels super light and "poppy" in trees/tight terrain, floats in soft snow, and is really easy to maneuver. Skis that I've tried that feel this way are the 2023 blizzard sheeva 10's and my line pandoras, but both of them I only tried on powder days. If you know Tahoe I'm looking for a ski to take all over Kirkwood when it's not a powder day. My K2s do pretty well for this but they're heavier than my volkl's so I want something a little lighter and less effort.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I know Tahoe and I also know Kirkwood pretty well. Tell me, where are you skiing at Kirkwood? Cornice chair? Sentinel Bowl, Monty Wolf, Chair 10, The Wall, The Reut, Backside ? I'm not sure what I would suggest but I have taken my Black Crows Camox Birdie (2017 when they were stiffer), Sheeva 9 and Sheeva 10's all over Tahoe.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're looking for an all mountain or freeride ski (90-something, 100-something) that's very twin tailed and a little more progressive in the mount point. That combo makes a ski really surfy and pivot-y and makes it feel "loose." A loose feel makes it really easy to turn quickly, and also makes it easier to change the size and shape of your turn, which is ideal in the trees.

I think the Sheeva's the ultimate tree ski, but a few others share those design qualities. A few have metal, which makes them a little stronger in crud, windbuff, and on groomers, like the Fischer Ranger 96/102, Nordica Unleashed 98/108, Line Blade Optic line (shares a similar shape to the Pandora 110, but with metal laminates). A few use fiberglass laminates, that are really elastic, poppy, and energetic (which makes them easier to bend in soft snow) The Camox Birdie, Icelantic Maidens, Faction Prodigy line, and Moment Sierra sit in that group. And the Liberty Genesis line kinda straddles the two with a few metal stringers, and Elan's one of the only brands layering in carbon.

Saraski

Diva in Training
I know Tahoe and I also know Kirkwood pretty well. Tell me, where are you skiing at Kirkwood? Cornice chair? Sentinel Bowl, Monty Wolf, Chair 10, The Wall, The Reut, Backside ? I'm not sure what I would suggest but I have taken my Black Crows Camox Birdie (2017 when they were stiffer), Sheeva 9 and Sheeva 10's all over Tahoe.
Everywhere. From palisades bowl all the way out to the backside boundary. But I guess mostly I ski off cornice and backside and then do the reut when I want to chill/hit that gully.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Analisa is the pro for recommendations. She did mention 2 skis that I currently have....

Saraski

Diva in Training
Chill. Yeah I was wondering how the new sheeva compared to last season's since I rather liked last season's, guess there's only one way to know (;

spoicegurl

Diva in Training
My daily driver is a Sheeva 10 164, but when I skied the Atomic Maverick 95ti 164 in the trees/glades it felt like the perfect weapon. The ski is so nimble and easy to flick around but can also handle high-speed carving on groomers no problem. I've also skied knee-deep powder on the Mavericks. I was impressed - definitely try this ski if you can find one in your size

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 2024 Sheeva 9, and they are making me ski places I never used to--the trees! I seek out trees on them. They are 96 under foot now. I own the 168, which is on the long side for me on at 5'5" and they are perfect. I also seek out bumps, which is also a real shocker!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna