• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Grand Targhee

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Since I retired, I have been choosing a destination for an extended ski vacation each year. That gets me out of the dreary gloomy and (often) rainy mountains of East TN where the skiing is, well…not ideal. This year I spent about 6 weeks in Victor and Driggs Idaho with friends. We skied at Grand Targhee. The Ghee has long been on the top of my bucket list for its renowned powder and it did not disappoint in that arena! The snow as plentiful and very light. The mountain turned out to be steeper though than I had envisioned. The runs definitely skied better with new snow to slow you down. Otherwise they were really too steep to just cruise like I like. On the upside I can rave on about how good the food was at all of the mountain eateries. Snorkels cafe was our favorite but the Powder Cache for a tablecloth sit down lunch was really good as was the bar and deck upstairs. Excellent and reasonably priced food! Unbelievable! Snorkels had an Ahi Tina Poke bowl that was the best thing I’ve ever eaten at a ski area — ever! Since I was nursing a sore knee the whole season I did spend quite a bit of time in these establishments, lol. And need I say that Idaho is cold??? Well it is. Colder and less sunny than Colorado by quite a bit. Hence the trade off of excellent snow. So a warm up coffee and sit down at Snorkels about 10 steps from the slopes was really really nice. The vibe was laid back, the skiers were top notch, and people were friendly. And lift lines were NONEXISTENT except at opening on a powder day on Dreamcatcher for about 10 minutes.

I also just have to share that I had the great good fortune of renting an Airbnb from our own resident JH instructor on here, @snoWYmonkey. Long story but The Ski Diva forum was how we found each other. And I just have to say, her brand new Airbnb house (that she and her husband BUILT) is truly amazing. It’s in Drictor (between Driggs and Victor) on 8 acres with a fenced in yard for my doggies (I traveled with my two dog buddies) and we loved it! Windows galore with sunrise to sunset views of the surrounding mountains. Check it out if you are visiting in the area. You will not be disappointed. It’s on the quieter side of the Tetons but you can be in JH in about 40”. I just realized that this sounds like a paid advertisement but it’s not! I just wanted to share about a good thing with my Ski Diva friends. I would love to get back to the beautiful Teton Valley in other seasons. It really is beautiful.

Grand Targhee — big CHECK ✅

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I retired, I have been choosing a destination for an extended ski vacation each year. That gets me out of the dreary gloomy and (often) rainy mountains of East TN where the skiing is, well…not ideal. This year I spent about 6 weeks in Victor and Driggs Idaho with friends. We skied at Grand Targhee. The Ghee has long been on the top of my bucket list for its renowned powder and it did not disappoint in that arena! The snow as plentiful and very light. The mountain turned out to be steeper though than I had envisioned. The runs definitely skied better with new snow to slow you down. Otherwise they were really too steep to just cruise like I like. On the upside I can rave on about how good the food was at all of the mountain eateries. Snorkels cafe was our favorite but the Powder Cache for a tablecloth sit down lunch was really good as was the bar and deck upstairs. Excellent and reasonably priced food! Unbelievable! Snorkels had an Ahi Tina Poke bowl that was the best thing I’ve ever eaten at a ski area — ever! Since I was nursing a sore knee the whole season I did spend quite a bit of time in these establishments, lol. And need I say that Idaho is cold??? Well it is. Colder and less sunny than Colorado by quite a bit. Hence the trade off of excellent snow. So a warm up coffee and sit down at Snorkels about 10 steps from the slopes was really really nice. The vibe was laid back, the skiers were top notch, and people were friendly. And lift lines were NONEXISTENT except at opening on a powder day on Dreamcatcher for about 10 minutes.

I also just have to share that I had the great good fortune of renting an Airbnb from our own resident JH instructor on here, @snoWYmonkey. Long story but The Ski Diva forum was how we found each other. And I just have to say, her brand new Airbnb house (that she and her husband BUILT) is truly amazing. It’s in Drictor (between Driggs and Victor) on 8 acres with a fenced in yard for my doggies (I traveled with my two dog buddies) and we loved it! Windows galore with sunrise to sunset views of the surrounding mountains. Check it out if you are visiting in the area. You will not be disappointed. It’s on the quieter side of the Tetons but you can be in JH in about 40”. I just realized that this sounds like a paid advertisement but it’s not! I just wanted to share about a good thing with my Ski Diva friends. I would love to get back to the beautiful Teton Valley in other seasons. It really is beautiful.

Grand Targhee — big CHECK ✅
Thank you for the report! I keep hearing consistently great things about Grand Targhee. Now it’s definitely on my bucket list

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry…
In Victor, Idaho
Apparently Drictor is not a real place name
Drictor is as real to us as Wydaho is! Local lingo for certain. Also the Ghee, Targheezers, and many other locally appropriate words. You fit right in using Drictor!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Targheezers!!!! That’s a new one I didn’t hear — maybe because it hits too close I home:becky:
Love it!!! And yes there were a LOT of senior skiers:thumbsup:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aside from the flat light, it is a perfect place to ski well into the future! It is part of my long term game plan for certain combined with the lifetime pass at Jackson Hole that will hopefully be in hand next winter.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy Thanks! Everyone thinks I am nuts to focus on pets instead of kids. I did recently have a cat that destroyed the curtains, but previous cat visitors have been fine. One renter in their inquiry mentioned that their dog never traveled without his cat! They were not joking. :grouphug:

We have a 6 foot fence at home and am realizing that the 4 foot for the rental is woefully short in winter.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lifetime pass???
Yes. Many ski areas offer full time employees life time passes at 20 or 25 years of service.

They know we are probably.to broke to quit at that point so not much cost to them but a very nice carrot to dangle. I believe either vail.or aspen gives a second buddy pass to at 25 years.

We don't get that but now that we know about it the conversation might be imminent.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Many ski areas offer full time employees life time passes at 20 or 25 years of service.

They know we are probably.to broke to quit at that point so not much cost to them but a very nice carrot to dangle. I believe either vail.or aspen gives a second buddy pass to at 25 years.

We don't get that but now that we know about it the conversation might be imminent.
Oh darn, if only I was 30 years younger and known about this, I would have made a right hand turn when leaving Michigan for florida!! Enjoy!!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh darn, if only I was 30 years younger and known about this, I would have made a right hand turn when leaving Michigan for florida!! Enjoy!!
One of my colleagues moved here in his fifties but kept working into his 80s! He worked out of passion for skiing as he was already retired when he moved here. Again, they know they have us hooked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna