• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Alta April 4-19, 2024, spring skiing with a powder storm

marzNC

Angel Diva
Per usual, my trip to Alta in April includes a bit of powder skiing. I got a head start staying with NC friends in SLC before moving to Alta Lodge on April 7. I'll be skiing through April 19, mostly Alta but may spend a little time at Snowbird. A few Divas will be around in the next week. Also with friends from North Country School since this is the alumni gathering week.

The snowstorm April 5-7 came in with cold temps and dumped 2 FEET of snow. The next couple weeks will mostly be spring skiing. Alta has had just over 600 inches so coverage is quite good in general. Probably the best in April since 2019.

For more about the weather and snow conditions:

Warm day at Alf's, perfect for a picnic lunch on the deck, April 4
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 1.jpeg

Sunnyside opened a little late on April 6, it was cold and snowy all day
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 2.jpeg

Drifts on the roof of Alf's during the snowstorm, mid-afternoon April 6
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 3.jpeg

Reactions: AJM

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some pics from Monday, April 7. Ballroom and Devil's Castle opened so there were locals and regulars around in the morning. By lunch time they were mostly gone. It was quiet in the afternoon. The snow stayed good up high. It was in the 30s at the base by lunch time.

View from my window, about 30 minutes before the lifts opened at 9:15
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 4.jpeg

East Castle (closed), Castle Apron (open) on the Supreme side
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 5.jpeg

Bill on a Wildcat run
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 7.jpeg

View of Wildcat parking, GMD, Alta Lodge, Rustler, Snowpine
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 8.jpeg

Bill got a pic of the partial solar eclipse, we were at the top of Collins when the cloud cover was just right
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 6.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
After 3:00 I was skiing solo. Got on Supreme a few minutes before it closed at 3:30. Then caught Sugarloaf just before it closed at 4:00. Wanted to go back to the Collins side on the EBT cat track instead of taking the transfer tow that goes between the Albion and Wildcat bases. Took my time and enjoyed the views.

Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 9.jpegAlta Apr 4t8 2024 - 10.jpeg

From top of Sugarloaf, rope line separates Alta from Snowbird's Mineral Basin
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 11.jpeg

Ballroom and Baldy Shoulder, view from Main Street (groomer)
Alta Apr 4t8 2024 - 12.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Woke up early (still on ET) and got to watch the groomer work on the Alta Lodge access. Took about 25 minutes. Extra snow was moved down to the base area. It's going to get warm the next few days and they'll need to keep that area deep enough to get through the rest of the season. Per usual, there were three groomers working at the Wildcat base in the early morning.

Groomer at work next to Alta Lodge, started about 6:15am, April 9
Alta 09Apr2024 AL groomer - 1.jpegAlta 09Apr2024 AL groomer - 2.jpegAlta 09Apr2024 AL groomer - 3.jpeg

Early morning views from Alta LodgeAlta 09Apr2024 AL groomer - 4.jpegAlta 09Apr2024 AL groomer - 5.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos and @IKam arrived today. Along with my NC friend, JF. Her first trip to Alta was in April 2017 when she brought her two kids. She learned to ski taking lessons at Massanutten when her kids were in ski school. She took advantage of the Kids Stay Free during the last few weeks of the season at Alta Lodge for a few years. Now her kids are too busy with high school and she comes solo. She takes lessons with at Alta too.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bittersweet memories. One of us is deceased (far too soon), and another can no longer ski b/c of medical issues. I just realized that one of the non-Massanutten folks in the pic was with us two weeks ago in Revelstoke. Dang, I knew he looked familiar!

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the features of the small (2 twin beds) Original Lodge room that I like at Alta Lodge is that I have a view of the slopes. That means I can see when the groomers are working. In the spring, that often happens as late as possible. Meaning there are groomers to watch 6:00-7:30 am. I'm usually still on Eastern Time so tend to wake up around 6am.

Groomer at work, 6:15 to 6:45am, April 9
Grooming the Alta Lodge handle tow slope, which is above Goldminer's Daughter and the Wildcat base. The Collins and Wildcat lifts load there. Since it will get warm (over 40) in the next few days, some extra snow was moved down to the base area. The groomer also made a small pile along the track Alta Lodge guests take to the locker room, then spun on it to pack that area down, before smoothing it out.
Alta 10Apr early morning - 1.jpegAlta 10Apr early morning - 2.jpeg
Alta 10Apr early morning - 3.jpeg

Views outside Alta Lodge, temperature about 15 degrees, 7:10am, April 9
Alta 10Apr early morning - 4.jpegAlta 10Apr early morning - 5.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I went out early on April 9. Was in the short line for Collins soon after lifts opened at 9:15am. It was still cold, in the 20s, and the Collins groomers were very fun. They weren't icy at all. The lower groomers had been groomed by the first shift (4pm-midnight). The only new terrain that opened up was Mt. Baldy.

Had to set up my Mountain Collective Pass for 50% off additional days, which can only be done after the included days are used up. The MCP card that was mailed is direct-to-lift at Alta only for the included 2 days. Alta provides a separate (not plastic) RFID card that is linked to a credit card for any additional days.

I save my Full Ikon days for the days I'm most likely to consider skiing over to Mineral Basin at Snowbird. Either solo for a few runs first thing in the morning because Mineral Basin softens early, or because I'm with someone who wants to check out Snowbird and has Ikon. It's possible to use the MCP to ski Snowbird but need to get a ride over in the morning. Can ski back to Alta via Mineral Basin after 3pm, but can't ride any Alta Lifts without using another MCP day at Alta.

The views from the top of the Wildcat lift are the best way to see all of the terrain off Mt. Baldy and the High T.

Ballroom (right), top of Collins lift (in the center), start of the High T
Alta 10Apr Wildcat views - 1.jpeg

Terrain off the High T stays in the shade in the mornings, groomer straight down is Stimulation (black), which goes into Aggie's Alley (blue)
Alta 10Apr Wildcat views - 2.jpeg

Looking towards Watson's (mid-mountain day lodge) and Wildcat base
Alta 10Apr Wildcat views - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Today, April 10, I gave @TNtoTaos and @IKam a tour of Alta in the morning and a quick look at Snowbird in the afternoon. It warmed enough that the front side of Snowbird was pretty nice, even at the top. An Ikon pass works as a combo pass so can ski at Alta and Snowbird on the same day and it only counts as one day.

We started with Collins and Wildcat, then headed over to Sugarloaf. After a stop in Alf's, we did a few runs off Supreme and headed down to the Albion base to ride Sunnyside. We were skiing blue groomers mostly. From the top of Sunnyside we went back to Sugarloaf. Then headed into Mineral Basin to check out Snowbird.

Heading into Mineral Basin
Snowbird 10Apr2024 Diva tour - 1.jpeg

Just enough time to get over to Creekside to ride up Gadzoom, we took Chip's Run down to Rothman Way
Snowbird 10Apr2024 Diva tour - 2.jpeg

After skiing past the Mid-Gad day lodge, we headed to Snowbird Center aka the Tram Deck to ride up the tram. Mid-Gad is closed already because it's being replaced by a new building this summer.

TNtoTaos and IKam in the tram passing by the Cirque terrain
Snowbird 10Apr2024 Diva tour - 3.jpeg

There was another mid-day road closure, 1:30-3:00, for heli operations for avalanche mitigation. That probably made it even emptier in the afternoon than usual for a warm spring day. The snow was quite fun, even pretty low.

Mineral Basin
Snowbird 10Apr2024 empty views - 1.jpeg

Front side groomers
Snowbird 10Apr2024 empty views - 2.jpegSnowbird 10Apr2024 empty views - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
It was already 32 degrees at the base of Alta at 9:00 this morning, April 11, so people headed out early. In general, few people skied later than 2:30 or so. By then it was in the low 50s at the base.

The groomers off Supreme were good fun in the morning. One of the North Country School alumni is a long time instructor at another destination resort and is here with his family. When he tested a potential short shot off-piste around 11:00 and bailed, the rest of us skiing with him knew it was too soon. Sugarloaf terrain was soft enough that Arthur took @IKam and JF to Extrovert (groomed black under the lift) during their morning lesson. That was the first time JF skied a black trail at Alta.

In the afternoon, @TNtoTaos and I stuck to Collins. I was mostly checking out snow conditions to figure out what might be good in the next couple days when it's going to be warm. We went in about 3:00.

Folks heading out at 9:15
Alta 11Apr2024 - 1.jpeg

The access to Catherine's at the top of Supreme was open, but no takers in the morning
The short uphill is groomed these days. Can be done with skis on, or as a boot pack.
Alta 11Apr2024 - 2.jpeg

View of High Rustler, with Mt. Baldy in the distance, 7:30pm
Alta 11Apr2024 - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m going g to assume that the tunnel will be open until Alta closes, because of the snow fall. Then the tunnel may be open just on weekends if Alta extends, and they have staff that stayed over.
There is no indication that Alta will have bonus weekends this season.

Note that even when the Peruvian Tunnel closes early, Mineral Basin can remain open. Just means the only way into Mineral Basin is by skiing down from the top. Staffing and lack of guests is more likely to be the issue than snow coverage. Snowbird starts closing down food service and lifts by late March at times.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saturday, April 13, was the annual Earth Day event at Alta. Tents were set up at the base of Collins in front of Goldminer's Daughter. It was a party atmosphere since it was a warm, sunny day.

In the afternoon there were two unexpected events: 1) Collins was closed from 2:00-2:45 for maintenance, and 2) the road was closed for a short time around 3:30 because of a vehicle accident. The road closure was announced at the end of the drawing that was a fundraiser. Probably didn't last that long. People still around having a good time on the GMD porch weren't in any hurry to head down canyon. By then it was in the high 50s and felt warmer in the sun.

Alta Earth Day, April 13
There were two local companies who brought demo skis: DPS and WNDR. @TNtoTaos and I took out DPS Kai 100 skis for a run. They are designed for soft snow so harder to turn on groomers compared to my DPS Zelda 106 skis. Apparently the Kaizen 105 is the current model that is the followup to the Zelda. We didn't have time to do another demo run.

The fundraising raffle prizes included new skis (flat) from Armada (pink) and Faction. It seemed as if employees had bought multiple tickets. Had to be present to win. At least one pair of skis went to the second name because the first person wasn't around. Needless to say, the winners were very happy. The winner of the Armada skis, which were pink, was a husband/father. They were a perfect length for his wife. I happened to be standing behind the family (two boys) during the drawing.
Alta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 2.jpeg

Man in the green jack and orange pack won a pair of skis
Alta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 4.jpeg

Collins closed 2:00-2:30, see the guys on top of Tower 3? Re-opened about 2:45. By then, most people who wanted to ski more had hiked up to Wildcat.
Alta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 1.jpeg

Blitz (short black) was soft
Alta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 3.jpeg

The wiggle on Ballroom was getting some attention around 3:45. First view is from Collins, which closes at 4:30.
Alta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 5.jpegAlta 13Apr2024 Earth Day - 6.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Peruvian Tunnel operator told me today that they weren't starting "weekend only" operations for the tunnel until mid-May. Presumably that means it will be open 7 days a week until then.

On the other hand, the Gad Valley will be closed starting April 15. That's because major construction will be happening soon. The Mid-Gad building will have major renovations started this summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga